Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1959-69 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2006, 05:22 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
easley , South Carolina
selling parts question

as I go through my 59 tradewind deciding what to liquidate and what to keep I need to know if there are any parts that are valuable, obviously the cabinetry would be really large to ship to someone and so I am curious on how to do this. Looking for advice and also if there is anything you need now would be the time to have me look to see if I have it. Scott
mercury7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 05:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
The 1/4 turn push-in cabinet door latches are pretty hard to replace.

The gaucho slides are still available from the maker, but don't throw them out. The dual voltage light fixtures are neat but they aren't hard to replace, and some people think they are better off in the dumpster. Keep the slides and hardware for the sliding accordion doors, but again I don't know if they are worth a lot of money.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Some people that are really in need of the parts you have for sale are willing to drive to pick them up.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hey mercury 7

There are many valuable parts,from the aformentioned phenolic twist cabinet
knobs and the base ,especially in white 59 ,60 usually were black ,the gas
lamp and globe ,cabinetry is valuable if folks are willing to pay for it ie:shipping etc.The fill on the front for the water ,trim parts ,im sure alot is valuable so don't toss it ,list it here on the forums ,I got Safari tims old brass
dump valve for possible parts ,you know ,you never know what you might need,and I may need it .

Thanks in advance for saving parts for us

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:06 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
easley , South Carolina
Thanks....what ill probably do is in the next week or so I will take pics of everything and post them here before listing. I pulled the furnace and the original hot water heater today....now the only thing left is the rear cabinets, sink/bathroom. I believe the bathroom cabinet has that knob you mentioned, kinda cool. also underneath the water heater I found a 1946 wheat cent
Old 11-09-2006, 08:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury7
. . . also underneath the water heater I found a 1946 wheat cent
Maybe its one of the Wally pennies that were hidden inside each coach for good luck.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Anything taken off of an Airstream and not put back on can be valuable to someone else. Start a goody box and keep everything.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:16 PM   #8
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I forget, mercury7, is yours a CA or OH built trailer? For some reason I don't have your TradeWind listed in my registry and I know we've chatted about it. If it is a CA built unit, I desperately need one of the sliding door aluminum rails from above the bed(s) at least 72 1/2' in length. Please tell you have one of these. Post your serial number too.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:27 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
easley , South Carolina
I will look brad, but I don't recall seeing it....I have alot of aluminum pieces on the floor but it seems like they were all the curved pieces, but ill get back to you. Mine is an ohio built, the serial is 249159 ....it seems like mostly what I have is cabinetry and hinged plywood pieces that I assume were the tops to the beds and gouchos, the bed piece with the giant drawers looks really good, as well as one of the cabinets that went over the twin bed, I am not sure what kind of wood it all is, but I am guessing a mahogany veneer, it looks a little different (less wood grain)than some of the pics I have seen in other trailers ,the smaller drawer cabinet is in fairer shape....drawers look good but the very ends look ruff, I just need to take pics instead of describing everything, ....the furniture in general reminds me of the 1940's art deco pieces. I particularly like the black and gold tin shelving, I think I have 4 or 5 of those pieces including the lights and they all look very good, I assume those are original because inside of each is that white counter top material.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:44 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
easley , South Carolina
I was just looking at markduanes photo gallery, it would appear we have sister ships, the cabinetry and light fixtures etc are exact matches.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:51 AM   #11
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Pictures would most definately help. If yours is an OH built trailer, you will not have this aluminum rail. They were only in the CA units.

Dang. Guess I keep looking.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:50 AM   #12
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury7
. . . I am not sure what kind of wood it all is, but I am guessing a mahogany veneer, it looks a little different (less wood grain)than some of the pics I have seen in other trailers. .
This is the one part of my restoration that has me completely flumoxed. I agree it is probably mahogany, but I cannot get even close to reproducing it. The samples I have tried all have more grain and less color than the original. Here are some of my trials. The original is the larger piece on the left.

Brad, are the drawer slides about .200" wide?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00017.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	28439  
Old 11-10-2006, 09:06 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
The thing that is tough with matching 40+ year old cabinetry is multi-faceted making it nearly impossible to be 100% satisfied.

1) the wood: some woods types are no longer available. Mahogany is one whose supply has changed due to being an endangered species
2) the stain/lacquers: the chemical make-up has changed due to the EPA
3) the age: both the wood & finish oxidize and change color over time. Even if you are able to get a perfect match "today", with age it will discolor and not match in several years.

Unfortunately, unless you redo all your wood at the same time, with the same materials they will not "match". We have replaced a couple of end panels by our door and they are different than the original wood in our trailer, but even when we look at all the orginal panels they don't all match one another. That coupled with the different light angles at all times of day, most people don't recognize the differences even if it's pointed out to them.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do...I'm sure it will look great (and much improved) regardless!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:12 AM   #14
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
. . Good luck with whatever you decide to do...I'm sure it will look great (and much improved) regardless!

Shari
Thanks. I just want to get close, not a match. I think I'll try pigmented lacquers next.