Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1959-69 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2020, 09:07 AM   #1

1965 24' Tradewind
Greensboro , North Carolina
Refrigerator Removal

Hi All,
We would like to remove our original refrigerator to have it restored. The fridge is bolted to the floor with post coming up through the floor. The post are fairly tall, is there enough space between the counter top and the top of the fridge to pull the unit out without removing the counter top?

1965 Trade Wind 24'
Porterwm1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Are those posts? or are they bolts? Do they have threads?
If they are bolts, then you can tap them down though the sub-flooring. However you will probably have to access the underside of the sub-floor to re-install the fridge.

This may be a time to think about a brand new refrigerator. Larger and perhaps more efficient.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
A brand new refrig is quite the task to remove and install, even then..its not the same. I went this "JC" route, spent quite a bit of money, of which I'm satisfied with the results, except..I wished they had explained to me then, the new one was not a 3 way operation like the old one..I later found out, for just a few dollars more, I could have had that 3 way feature. Rebuilting one's old refrig is a doable project, and for much much less cost.
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 12:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porterwm1976 View Post
Hi All,

We would like to remove our original refrigerator to have it restored. The fridge is bolted to the floor with post coming up through the floor. The post are fairly tall, is there enough space between the counter top and the top of the fridge to pull the unit out without removing the counter top?

1965 Trade Wind 24'

I have replaced my refrigerator in my 66 Tradewind. You might look at post #33 in my renovation thread in the trailer section titled Dan’s 66 Tradewind Improvements. You will have to remove the countertop to get the fridge out. This is a bit of a pain.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:26 PM   #5

1965 24' Tradewind
Greensboro , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
I have replaced my refrigerator in my 66 Tradewind. You might look at post #33 in my renovation thread in the trailer section titled Dan’s 66 Tradewind Improvements. You will have to remove the countertop to get the fridge out. This is a bit of a pain.

Dan
Thank you everyone. I've seen a lot of discussion about replacing verses restoring the Dometic fridge. Though call on that one.

Dan I see you venture down to NC on occasion. If you're ever in the Greensboro area feel free to reach out. I've certainly looked at a number of your post for inspiration on our own project. I would be happy to buy you a beer sometime.

Will-
Porterwm1976 is offline   Reply With Quote