Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1959-69 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2009, 07:45 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Lowesville , Virginia
Progress on the '68 Tradewind

Just an update and some pictures of the project.....I took good advice and stripped the upper interior to rewire....had a few nice days so I have been cleaning and painting interior panels and working on windows and various holes that leak. One picture shows results of lag bolts used to hold awning on....sigh....Any good ideas about dealing with spots like this are welcome! Ordered 2 windows to try some ideas (from Inland RV).....Did the tub and bathroom surfaces with polyamide epoxy. I brushed it..wish I had the means to have sprayed it, but it looks clean and shiny. The frame picture is from earlier in the month....glad that part is over and the floor is all in. I am taking lots of pictures and some day while I'm warming my toes by the fire, I will figure out how to put them all in a good format for sharing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Progress 1009 1.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	545.9 KB
ID:	90023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Progress 1009 2.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	437.5 KB
ID:	90024  

Name:	Progress 1009 3.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	505.4 KB
ID:	90025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Progress 1009 4.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	326.7 KB
ID:	90026  

Name:	Progress 1009 5.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	535.5 KB
ID:	90031   Click image for larger version

Name:	Progress 1009 6.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	537.8 KB
ID:	90032  

shimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:56 AM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Making Headway

Hi shimps,

It looks like you've rolled up your sleeves and jumped in. As for the lag bolt holes, do you plan to re-use the holes for your awning?

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimps View Post
... One picture shows results of lag bolts used to hold awning on....sigh....Any good ideas about dealing with spots like this are welcome! ...
I use skin doublers inside and out, then a plate on the inside with nutplates. The pop rivets you see here will be replaced with bucked rivets whenever I finally remove the gaucho so I can get at the inside skin.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/636720-post1.html

This photo is of the lower support backet for the front windown awning on my Safari, but you can see the plate with the nutplates attached. Same idea for the upper attachments [when I get a round tuit]. All the 1/8" holes are for the thru-rivets that hold the outer and inner doublers to the skin, as well as this nutplate plate. Nutplates [I've always called them that] are available from aircraft supply houses, like Aircraft Spruce and Specialty.

Name:	IMG_8091 zip dee doubler.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	90054

Making these doublers attractive, getting them to nestle into the rib, making sure there are the proper layers next to the rib to make things flush and flat (for example, there is a half-wide shim under the outside doubler, which is hidden in the photo, to adjust for the skin overlap there), etc., require several bazillion trips from shop to Airstream. Unless you're good, of course. I just keep making the trips. The doublers are installed with flush bucked rivets.

Zep
Old 10-31-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
filling the bigger lag screw holes

If the area is to be exposed, and you want it perfect-then welding/grinding/polishing is about the only repair outside of replacing the whole panel. if you are going to cover it up, then there are lots of remedies. a plate underneath with a "reverse dimple" in it would fill the hole (use sealer, of course) This will give you a virtually flush patch-either buck riveted or plan ahead with blind rivets. Also, 3m aluminum tape, again with a small amount of sealer around edges inside and out will seal the hole. That tape can have its edges feathered out by sanding-it is that tough-if completley hidden-you can cover with a layer of bondo for a smooth attachment point. If you take and make a robust aluminum "plate" to mount an awning (and cover any previous holes, damage, etc), do it at both ends, make them symmetrical, such that it looks like the extra stoutness was planned for from the very beginning..."small moulding for small mistakes, big moulding for big mistakes" (Clyde Smith, circa 1977-Rest in peace my old friend).
that's my $.02
ol' bill
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:03 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
1976 Argosy 24
Olsburg , Kansas
I am considering pulling parts of my belly pan off to check over the frame. I haven't yet since I don't feel ready to gut the interior like you have. I guess it need to check from the bottom first to see if anything needs beefed up. Keep the photos coming.
clydecrashcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:47 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Lowesville , Virginia
awning mount holes

Good ideas about dealing with the big awning holes.....I like the plate idea and may do that even though we do not plan to reinstall the awning for now. Now's the time to think about those things.
I am really considering doing away with the rooftop A/C unit as well....we will seldom camp in hot weather and I have been looking at the small portable units that look like a dehumidier and require a vent to the outside....sounds crazy at first, but sure would look nice in a retro kind of way...and it would be easy to provide for the vent now while doing all the "body" work, and plan for a storage place for it on board....
shimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
I like your idea with the portable A/C unit. About the holes. You can make patch with a piece of aluminum about 1/2 wider in diameter then the hole and stick it on with Tempro (Vulkem). Once the Vulkem cures the patch will not come off without a good putty knife and it's water tight. I did this on my Safari to cover a antenna hole and its lasted 4 years with no rivets and no leaks.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:37 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Lorton , Virginia
I agree with Lee on the patch - I did a very similar patch for a vent hole I no longer wanted (except w/rivets on the corners). It's not leaking and when I get a round tuit and want to make it prettier it's essentially easy to take off. The patch was good just so I could move on to the next waterproofing so I could finish my subflooring.
ltenbrink is offline   Reply With Quote