Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1959-69 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2007, 04:22 PM   #341
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
present

My husband bought me my own little air compressor today !

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:47 PM   #342
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Sooo.. Whattaya going to do with it?

Congrats Ingrid, and I hope you've found an alternative way to rework frame and axles... Good weather should be making weekend work more accessible, though it's about to warm up...

So what are your plans for the compressor? Air tools? Sprayer for clearcoat? Drills for holes for plumbing and wiring?

Hope all is well...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 10:24 PM   #343
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Hi!

We are waiting for a new set of axles.

We're a little ways from putting on the belly pan, but whenever I want to learn to do something with a compressor or we need to use it, the "big one" is at a job site. He had a store credit, so he bought a little 6 gallon and we say it's "mine". (Silly guy, everything in this house is mine).

Right now I'm putting a coat of silver POR15 on the wheels which are off the frame, and when Big J. takes the axles off I'm going to finish that paint job, then the new axles go on. So there's not much I can do with the compressor for now.

But!! We have this galvanized flue pipe that's been lying around the yard from a job, and my daughter and I are debating making a statue out of it. The parts look like arms and legs and a head. I couldn't sell it on Craiglist or Freecycle it away, so I think I just might do that for practice! Or inflate a backyard swimming pool or some tires! Look out world!

ingrid
Old 07-01-2007, 10:56 PM   #344
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
OMG- Lock up the rivet gun, here comes Rosie!!
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 05:56 PM   #345
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Anything New?

Ingrid, I know how busy you are during the times when the kids are off for summer vacation but what gives with the trailer. We all want to know! Why are you denying your loyal readers the next chapter in the on-going saga. You must have writers block or something similar! You need to update us more often. Your current sabatical from the forums is leading us all to believe that there are things happening that we are not being made aware of!!! What's the story, What is the latest news! Did you get the axles installed? Have you re-installed the body on the floor/frame? Inquiring minds want to know! Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:16 PM   #346
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
hi

Just waiting on an axle purchase arrangement, doing work on the frame. Man am I busy during the summer, between the pool, beach, kids, barbecues, my iPod playlist, Netflix queue and my Tivo To Do list, I'm a busy gal!

When something really "happens", I promise I'll post!!

It's nice to be missed however!

ingrid
Old 08-20-2007, 12:36 PM   #347
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Thumbs up impending axles....

Axles should be arriving soon...trying to focus on other things while we wait. Just checking in. I am still very sick from aluminitis, rest assured.

ingrid
Old 08-20-2007, 01:22 PM   #348
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Santa Barbara , California
See you in San Antonio

Hi Ingrid -

I'm watching your thread very carefully. You're documentation is really great and so helpful for some of us that are likely to follow in (at least some of) your footsteps!

I am looking forward to seeing you at Lake San Antonio again this year. Last year was a blast.

Sending shiny silver sistah wishes,
Old 09-03-2007, 06:24 PM   #349
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Rivet Goodbye old axles

The old axles are off (with a little encouragement from an impact wrench, sawzall and sledgehammer). New ones are here in town, we pick up tomorrow. Does anyone know if these old things can be turned in as scrap metal, or kept out of landfill somehow?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	axlesoff_01.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	44351  

ingrid
Old 09-04-2007, 01:32 PM   #350
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Progress!!

Nice picture Ingrid... I'll bet that the "encouragement" included a number of magic words as well as some heavy and powerful tools...

Once the rubber core has sagged, I don't think the axles are "re-cyclable", though someone might want old drums or brake parts.. Could be worth a quick listing on Craigslist or Ebay with that picture.. Beyond that, there are a couple scrap steel dealers on Alameda estuary, I think, that might pay something for units to feed Chinese need for scrap steel...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Old 09-04-2007, 06:28 PM   #351
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Good thought. I think I'll try Craigslist first on the off chance someone might want to haul them away for us. Too bad they're not copper!

ingrid
Old 09-15-2007, 11:11 PM   #352
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
old axles

Hey Ingrid, Look for a PM from me re: parts I need off your old axle. Mine needs parts on the roadside of my single axle. Ed
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
Old 09-23-2007, 06:09 PM   #353
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Finally

Finally finished putting POR15 where I couldn't get it under the axles before. Now pray for clear weather (looks good) and then the new axles go on. I remember last year I did a lot of work in the fall also, it seems to be the time I get the most work done.

Just checking in...

ingrid
Old 09-23-2007, 08:34 PM   #354
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Hey you! Glad to hear the progress; I know how weird summer is.. it seems I had one issue that took the whole summer and finally a $2.39 fuse could have solved it. Fingers crossed. The weather must let those axles go on- you need and deserve a rolling project---- by now!

Hope to make it to another rally one day and catch your beauty in person!

Good luck!

"If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:19 PM   #355
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoiacoast
Hope to make it to another rally one day and catch your beauty in person! Good luck!
...and you can admire the trailer too!

ingrid
Old 11-11-2007, 05:06 PM   #356
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
axles

One axle on, one to go.

ingrid
Old 11-12-2007, 12:10 PM   #357
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Yeess!!

Glad to hear the axle fits, though it probably took some banging and magic words... Will look for axle #2 message after Thanksgiving... Keep on plugging! We're really expecting to see it at Casini in late April, even if only as a shell for sleeping bags.. (And I've committed not to travel on business in late April, just in case.. )

Old 11-12-2007, 03:23 PM   #358
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Woo Whee!!!

Ingrid, Way to go! That is really good news. I drove to St. Louis on Saturday to get some parts from Steve (SoldierMedic) that he had left over from his 1968 Safari. I am now the proud owner of a duel cone style reading light that the swivels are still good on! I also scored all the under cabinet Avocado trays that he had. They match the ones I already have. I bought the refrigerator, lights and 40' of 7 wire cable that he had. He threw in a tube of 3m weather strip adhesive and some weatherstripping as well as the TP door hinge I needed and some other assorted parts. He had just sold his 2006 Bambi and was expecting it to be picked up today. He and his wife Amy (CombatMedic) are the best! I hope they will be back into a Vintage trailer soon. That is really what they prefer. I am still hard at work on the "Landshark" and there is no end in sight at the moment! Hope the other axle goes on smooth and then you can have the running gear aligned before the floor and shell go back on~! Happy Trails, Ed
Old 11-17-2007, 12:52 PM   #359
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Airstream Support Group

Ed and John, I thank you for the support! Nice to know someone's paying attention!

John, there was less, um, vocabulary than I thought there would be. He amazes me, he got that axle on all by himself. He used a rolling palette type of mover-thing to roll the axle around by the wheel and car jacks to get it up into place.

We just may be there in aluminum in April. And if it is a shell attached to a floor, that will be just fine with us.

Ed, allright! Doesn't that feel good to get all those parts. The road is long but it's worth it. As much as I'd like to have it done, I'm still enjoying working on it. It's the little things that make me happy!

ingrid
Old 11-18-2007, 01:14 PM   #360
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Motorcycle Jack also might work...

I have motorcycle jack with steel wheels given me to work on old Gold Wing.. I discovered it also works well to lift trailer tongue and move sideways when required for clearance, and might also be useful for holding and raising axles...

If you get real good at these, I might "let" you replace my axles in next year or two, if you run out of projects on your trailer... (Actually, I should probably come over and "help" on axle #2 to see if I try myself or decide to let Toscano do them...)