Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1959-69 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2007, 12:20 PM   #301
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Gasket remover

Hey Tanya,

The gasket remover is spray stuff that you spray over old caulking or gasket that you can't get off. It melts the stuff and then you can wipe/scrape over and over until it's gone. It really does work!

So...how difficult was removing clearcoat?

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 01:22 PM   #302
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Looks like you just did!! If what you used melts the old gasket, it most likely melted your clear coat. Now you will be one of the polishing zombies..
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 03:36 PM   #303
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
It was easy... the little I did (I used Jasco, that we already had). My husband is out there doing the big areas now.

I think it's worth getting the hydro from Vintage. I played with stuff locally, ended up spending more $$, and the cheap stuff doesn't work that easily.

So... I'll let you know how it goes... got my Nuvite coming!!! Yipeee!!
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 03:50 PM   #304
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Thank ya both.

OK thanks both for the input! I especially am glad I got going on the caulking, even if it isn't that much to do, I really want to do it and have confidence of no leaks later on. Then I'm going to remove clearcoat, and polish, if I have nothing else I can do right then.

Thankfully (haha) the sun is baking the side of the trailer I would be working on right now, so I'm going to excuse myself and nap, and then work on more re-caulkin on it later this evening when I have shade. I have a rare day with no kids around!

ingrid
Old 03-18-2007, 06:08 PM   #305
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
scratch that

Even though I have very little silicone to remove, it is a lot to do. I finished caulking all the exterior windowframes today, tomorrow I go out and peel off the parts I taped off with blue painter's tape. I had to tape off the window gasket areas on each window, spray on gasket remover, scrape scrape scrape, peel off tape, clean with mineral spirits, re-tape, and caulk with Vulkem. Mostly what I removed was traces of old Vulkem and some silicone, but now I have sealed windowframes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	caulking_12.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	34109   Click image for larger version

Name:	caulking_13.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	34110  

Attached Images

ingrid
Old 03-20-2007, 04:59 PM   #306
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
And today, a complimentary water leak check!

Windows look good, Ingrid...

Hoep today's rain stayed outside the trailer, and validated the quality of your Vulkem application...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:02 PM   #307
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
what he said!

Yeah! I sure hope so! Otherwise the silicone worked better than the Vulkem will!

ingrid
Old 03-23-2007, 08:56 AM   #308
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Well, how'd your vulkeming hold up? It was a fairly light rain up here, but my windows, for the first time, have NO WATER in the sills!!!!!

Whoopeeeeeee!!
Old 03-23-2007, 11:26 AM   #309
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
yes and no...

Hey SQ,
I did have some water on my sills, but it's because I didn't get around to caulking the pane edges, so I'm still happy. I'm proud of my Vulkem job but it really bites that it looks like my hours of work were of no consequence. (I mean in appearance; you can't see the work I did). However when we're camping someday and the trailer doesn't leak, I can sleep soundly.

Blue tape is my friend!

ingrid
Old 03-24-2007, 01:54 AM   #310
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Windows and a warm fuzzy

Finished caulking all windowframes, even where the glass pane meets the edge on my vista views...I'll be doing a wet test this weekend, or during the expected rain early next week. I'm pulling off more blue tape tomorrow. Gotta love that blue tape.

I also removed ALL of the gasket I put in on the front windowframe..why you ask? The Lexan replacement window bends slightly when I tighten the clips, and there's a small gap on the sides that isn't sealed. When I ordered my Lexan window, there was a length of "D" gasket in the box, and Inland Andy tells me it seals much better than the double-edged gasket that until recently was the standard replacement gasket for this year of trailer. So, I'm going to put it on. I held it on and shut the window, it looks like a good seal.

I wish I'd known that a year ago, but it's a new development, so oh well. If my gasket fails I'll have a much easier time putting this new kind on. For now, it's holding on tight and sealing fine, so I'm leaving it alone.

I also found this on eBay for attaching to the outside of the trailer, probably to cover a hole. I just might get one for inside too, later on!
Attached Images

ingrid
Old 03-26-2007, 11:23 PM   #311
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Yay

It rained today and my inside windowsills are dry. Yahoo!

ingrid
Old 03-27-2007, 08:28 AM   #312
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Awesome and congrats!!!

One of my sills has water...uggg. It's the streetside flat "view" window. I vulkemed it, but perhaps need to shoot some from the inside as well. The trailer's off level in favor of puddling water on that side- but it's still curious.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:57 AM   #313
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
caulking

Did you caulk all the seams outside of that window? You of course have to do the place where the glass meets the frame outside, but there's another seam that might need it, it's a piece that comes out when the window is installed. So there are two outside seams on the windowframe edges that might be your problem. Here's a pic:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	curbsidecaulking.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	34700  

ingrid
Old 03-27-2007, 12:02 PM   #314
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Yep, those seams are all caulked, however, it could be that the very bottom right corner, has a pin-hole gap in the caulk--- whatever it is, it is verrrry small!
Old 03-27-2007, 03:28 PM   #315
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Well... if I remember correctly...

I also removed ALL of the gasket I put in on the front windowframe..why you ask? The Lexan replacement window bends slightly when I tighten the clips, and there's a small gap on the sides that isn't sealed. When I ordered my Lexan window, there was a length of "D" gasket in the box, and Inland Andy tells me it seals much better than the double-edged gasket that until recently was the standard replacement gasket for this year of trailer. So, I'm going to put it on. I held it on and shut the window, it looks like a good seal.

I wish I'd known that a year ago, but it's a new development, so oh well. If my gasket fails I'll have a much easier time putting this new kind on. For now, it's holding on tight and sealing fine, so I'm leaving it alone.

Ingrid, I believe I told you about the "D" about a year or so ago when I purchased some from my local A/S dealer to use on my entry door frame and that I was going to use it for my windows too! Guess at this point I should say..... "I told you so!" I think Andy must have seen it here first as he was still recommending the old style seal when I was looking all over for an alternative to it. If you recall I told you it was used on all the 2006 A/S doors and all over the (new then) 2007 models. Okay, I'm done patting myself on the back!
I'm glad to hear that all your recent efforts have been justified by giving you dry window sills! That is great news! I have ripped out all the old original (lime/aqua)carpet from the "Landshark" and am in the process of checking the floor perimeter for soft spots.... so far so good. Next the Galley countertop and cabinets are coming out so I will get a good look there too! I am going to try to salvage the Aqua formica countertop and re-install it as the plywood beneath it is what was water damaged by the missing window. Keep me posted on how you progress on the shell off project. I am really hoping I don't have to go that route but time will tell. Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 02:14 PM   #316
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
tanks arrived

I got my tanks today.

ingrid
Old 04-01-2007, 04:04 PM   #317
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Sa-weeet! Now what? I'm starting to envy your tenting at Casini- this polishing bit, is a loooooooooooooooooooot of work!!!!!

Baby steps.

"If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
Old 04-01-2007, 07:52 PM   #318
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Now...

We save up for foil insulation and belly pan aluminum. I go out and clean/caulk seams and save up. I have a possible work opportunity coming up that sounds like it's right up my alley...

So I'm putting the project on hold and working in my yard while the dollars come raining down...

ingrid
Old 04-15-2007, 06:12 AM   #319
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Ingrid, it looks like things are moving right along! Just popped in to say hi!

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:41 PM   #320
flush riveter

1967 24' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
kelso , Washington
Hi any of you folks out there know where I can buy 14 feet of the lower rub rail for my '67 Tradwind? I'm desperate here! Thanks,Butch
bbwwjd is offline   Reply With Quote