Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2007, 11:09 PM   #261
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Quick update

There is indeed no tape on the side window frame. As a test I put in the windowpane and the grey gasket onto just the top and bottoms. it just barely fits in if I push really hard with a putty knife, so tape would make it impossible. It's a nice tight fit, which is not to say that those who use tape shouldn't do so. If it makes the window fit more snugly, go for it. In my case it would break.

I cleaned the brackets with a dremel and acetone, everything is now ready to go in. As soon as I learn to use a rivet gun, Jeff and I put in that last window in. When I am tempted to plug it in and try to use it myself I hear a voice saying "You'll shoot your eye out!!"

The front window now pulls shut, I silicone sprayed the gasket one more time, but the cranking assemblies that go on the bottom of the frame to pull the windows tight don't work well, any of the three of them. I don't know why. They open fine but don't pull shut. I crank the assembly and nothing happens. I removed them and took another look, nothing seems wrong. I am going to start looking for replacements but in the meantime I might just switch assemblies with another window that won't get opened that much. I think we might have stripped the threading on the center screw. If that makes sense to anyone! I also ordered a few more window clips because some of the old ones that I re-used don't fit on the new glass very well.

I'm a stud!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:22 PM   #262
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
The Window Expert!!!

Ingrid, Sounds like things are really going great with the windows! Maybe by this weekend I can get a look at the parts in the garage and see if I have the extras you need. Keep up the good work and it will all come along fine. Just think by next year you can open up your own Vintage Airstream Service Center! Just remember to leave out Airstream and replace it with Silver Twinkie Travel Trailer, Sheesh... The things one has to do to avoid a law suit! LoL Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:27 PM   #263
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Thanks Ed, you're a gem. Without your help I wouldn't have been able to do this last window. Since nothing is posted about installing these I'm going to do a little how-to and take pictures as I go, so others can get the same knowledge. I appreciate the compliment but when I'm done I'm never touching another window!

Anything you have would help, but I'm not in a hurry. I don't want you going outside and instantly freezing solid! I need you to help me along with this project!

Stay warm, you make a better Airstreamer than a popsicle.

ingrid
Old 02-06-2007, 11:36 PM   #264
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Brrrr!!!!

It's only about -2 degrees out there as we speak! By 3 P.M. tomorrow it is supposed to be up to a blazing hot 14 degrees. I will have to get on some shorts and sunglasses! Wonder where I put the SPF-30? Oh well I guess I'll just stay in then! LoL Ed
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
Old 02-07-2007, 09:23 AM   #265
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Awesome, Ingrid!! Did you try the rivet gun yet?? It is SOOOO fun (& easy). Don't fret... if I remember, you have the HF one (like me) and here's a few things from my experience... You'll need pneumatic oil (I used my sewing machine oil). When you screw on the plastic rivet "stem" catcher, put the slit at the top (duh, on my part), that way it catches the stems instead of dumping them all over.

The attachment for the 1/8 pop-rivets is easy to put in, the rest require hard pushing while turning- rather painful on the thumb. I used the flat part of the wrench it comes with to press. If the stem doesn't brake off on the first finger pull, just pull the trigger again. I learned that the hard way while doing the big rivets in the belly pan- I had to go back and cut them off- my husband showed me I could just do it again and wallah!

Anyway it's super fun and you'll be surprised how delicate the whole thing is- not nearly as exciting as the nail gun (which I have received 2 of for my birthdays!)!! Just hook 'er up and practice. Put the rivet stem in the gun nozzle, the head through the hole, pull the trigger- done!

Pictures!! I also have those windows and it looks like the gray gasket is cut short on all corners (deliberate or sloppy?). The street side one leaks, I have vulkemed the perimeter and siliconed the glass... it's due to rain here a bunch so we'll see if it's finally stopped.

Congrats to you, and can't wait to see you at Casini! You must tent-camp! My daughter will love your daughter, I just know it!!
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:13 PM   #266
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
How old are your kids? They're going to have a great time. I believe we will tent-camp if it's not raining. I have an invitation to use one person's space for our tent. We still love to tent camp!

The gasket is short on mine too, but I have no idea why. Other people have posted on the forums that their window gasket (on different type/year windows) do the same thing. I think they may shrink over time? My streetside window leaked too, but the only reason I took it out was because it wasn't glass, and it looked awful. Plus someone sent me a free original replacement and gasket!

Sigh OK I"ll open the box and read the instructions. I get freaked out even turning on the air compressor to fill up the inflatable swimming pool!

ingrid
Old 02-07-2007, 12:24 PM   #267
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Good for you-- you can do it!!

My kids: Boy 15, Girl 8, Boy 2!!
Old 02-07-2007, 06:57 PM   #268
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Can't wait!

Yess! My girl is also 8. Gets along with just about everyone. I'm bringing my 12 y.o. nephew probably, too.

I did open the box and put it together. We don't have a 1/4 adapter for the hose so I'm off the hook for now . The instructions DO say to put the slot downwards, probably so you don't "shoot your eye out" with a stem thingy in some miraculous way, so don't feel too badly! I'm going to get one next time we go to Home Depot.

ingrid
Old 02-11-2007, 05:33 PM   #269
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Today

Today I cleaned up the glass from my cursed front window, made a final decision on Lexan in the front, cleaned the workspace, cleaned and dried the side window area for the install, learned how to rivet, and removed the window guard frame from the front with a dremel.

ingrid
Old 02-12-2007, 12:35 AM   #270
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Front window rock guard

Ingrid, Even if you do decide to use Lexan for a front window you will want to have a rock guard on the front of the trailer for three reasons. 1) it acts as an awning when opened. 2) It helps with privacy when closed. 3) It will help keep harmful UV from destroying fabric of curtain/drapes and furniture. If however you don't want it on the trailer then send it my way as I still don't have one for the front of my rig! Remember the only part of mine that was left was the upper hinge/frame. Ed
Old 02-12-2007, 02:31 PM   #271
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Yep, I'm probably going to use it...but if I don't, it's yours! Thanks Ed!

ingrid
Old 03-03-2007, 06:36 PM   #272
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Window progress and acetone question

I successfully installed the side window! It was messy, because the Vulkem does have to be squirted onto the frame before you put the pane in. I got some pictures but will post those later. My husband bought me a hand-riveter to save himself from having to haul the compressor to and from the job site, so I was able to get the job done.

I also made mockups of our black and grey tank out of cardboard, to the dimensions of what we're hoping to buy.

I have a question: does acetone have to be cleaned off after you use it, or can you just go ahead and put on a new coat of sealant or whatever you're using? Or should I wash the surface after I've cleaned it with acetone? I want to caulk the windowpanes in the corners inside and on the outside and I keep thinking the acetone I've used to clean will break down the caulking material.

ingrid
Old 03-03-2007, 06:47 PM   #273
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
In my line of work, we final clean with pure alcohol. If there are any streaks you know that you still need to clean off what ever you used last. Now this is for cleaning out vacuum chambers that have to be super clean. I am sure that the "over the counter" alcohol should work just as good.
I am sure that there are more knowledgable people that will chime in........
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:01 PM   #274
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
That's right!

I also use alcohol as the final cleaner... especially on glass! Ed
Old 03-04-2007, 07:58 AM   #275
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Way to Go..PROGRESS... feels good, no?? What are you using for caulk against the glass. Mine had silicone. I vulkemed everything (seams, window, etc) but added a little silicone to that window. It hasn't worked. Yesterday, I pulled all the silicone out and vulkemed it. I hope it works!!

I used mineral spirits to clean the vulkem, and applied it right after using it- no problems sticking!

Do you still have your wires inside the trailer (& still connected to the Control panel)? I'm trying to track the fat red and white that come out the rear interior skin and link up to the fuse panel/battery in the rear access area). I believe the red ends in the CP and turns to blue (which is the TV charge line). But My BIG QUESTION: Where does that white go? I think it also ends in the CP and goes to the TV connector ground. But does anyone know if it goes to the shell or from inside the wall?

Only a tiny hijack (wink wink) I hope you have wires- you're the perfect candidate !!

Can't wait for Casini!! Think dry, sun,,,, no RAIN!!
Old 03-04-2007, 01:23 PM   #276
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
We pulled out all of our wires, but I do have the manual for our '67, would sending you the electrical schematic page help? I know you're '68, maybe someone out there could chime in and let me know if they're the same/not the same...hijack away, it's all about the aluminum. Let me know if you want me to send you the electrical diagram.

I used Vulkem for sure. Don't use silicone to seal! Silicone was what was there before on mine, didn't work, and pulled off like a big gummy worm. Vulkem is your friend when caulking a trailer, I don't think silicone sticks to aluminum and it eventually fails. I did use Vulkem against the glass and in the corners.

I didn't use any bedding tape or window tape of any kind other than the grey gasket to get this window in. I did use BigEd's rubber bedding tape (which is really just a strip of rubber) as a gasket behind the side brackets where they went against the side windowframe. I had to make the rivet holes bigger with a drill, and the picture shows the side bracket without the rivets, and the trick to getting the grey gasket in, which goes in last. I also caulked the window on the other side of the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0022.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	33428   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0025.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	33429  

ingrid
Old 03-04-2007, 02:23 PM   #277
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Window install...

Ingrid, That window install is looking great! Next will be the water test with the hose! Better to see if the seal is good or not now rather than later. I will send some super powerful Karma to aid you in this endeavor! I think the worst is over on these window issues. Great work! Ed
Old 03-04-2007, 03:44 PM   #278
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Ditto to ED!! Suh-weeet stuff!

I have the manual to my electrical... but it doesn't show what I'm looking for. Darn. I doubt yours would either. It's kinda vague in the umbilical tie-in, with respect to grounds, etc...

Anyway... You're doing great, and I hope you get some out of nowhere $$$$ to dump into that trailer!! Can't wait to try mine out again, when I'm not so stressed out... and wet~!!! Did I mention, the window was dripping on my head as I slept (or tried to)! Condensation, and the gnarliest rain I've seen!

Well, keep it up!
Old 03-04-2007, 03:47 PM   #279
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoiacoast
I have the manual to my electrical... but it doesn't show what I'm looking for. Darn. I doubt yours would either. It's kinda vague in the umbilical tie-in, with respect to grounds, etc...
Probally wouldnt be much help anyway, I suspect that your cord, like mine, has been redone at some time in the intervening 40 years.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:07 PM   #280
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Hey all

I am going to wait a day or two more before a wet test. I read somewhere it takes two days for Vulkem to really dry. I didn't post the goopy pictures of my caulking job, it got all over the window, but I feel confident that it will work. Especially with all this support karma I'm getting!

Sequoiacoast, post a picture of the wire and your panel, post it in the electrical department, someone will most definitely be able to help you. What window leaked? Front or back?

I'm curious about the arguments other couples have who are rehabbing their trailers, money and time etc. but I hesitate to ask because it seems like kind of a negative subject...but we are ready to buy some tanks in a few days and have made some decisions on the next step to take. Namely, after the front window finally goes in, we pull the trailer forward, remove a bricked in plant bed in our driveway that is taking up driveway width, brace up the trailer for the shell-off, and start preparing for tank and frame work.

I hear it's a lot more fun when the structural stuff is done. I sure hope so...this is all I've known since we bought the thing! And I'm still infected with aluminitis so my love must be real.

ingrid