Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1959-69 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2006, 09:23 PM   #181
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
WBCCI Numbers

Ingrid, Are you going to remove the Wbcci red numbers from your trailer? If so you could put your Airstream Forums member number in their place. Your member number is 4449 and could be put on in the same size vinyl numbers in Royal Blue. Just a thought. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:14 PM   #182
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
clips and number

Ed, I only have very faint outlines of the former number, and I'm not a member of WBCCI. Did you think I was? I don't have a number!

I'll definitely try that with the clips. It occurred to me but I thought I'd better not mess around with window karma.

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:19 AM   #183
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
I was reading your signature line

Ingrid, In your signature line it states this: 1967 24' Tradewind #19104 (not members though), so I thought the Red Wbcci numbers were still on the trailer. Since you are a Airstream Forums member and your member number is 4449 I was just suggesting you could remove the old number and put your Forums Member Number up there on the trailer in place of the old Wbcci red numbers. Ed
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
Old 09-25-2006, 02:04 PM   #184
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
hmmmm

Not a bad idea. I didn't know I had a forums number! The things I learn from you!

ingrid
Old 09-25-2006, 05:28 PM   #185
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Ingrid,

You have a highly saught after number in the Southern Pacific RR community.
That is the number of the Daylight special engine.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:57 PM   #186
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
I don't suppose there's a Johnny Cash song with my number in it, or anything like that? That would be too much good luck!!

ingrid
Old 09-28-2006, 05:14 PM   #187
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Got all my screws!

I got stainless steel carriage bolts and elevator screws (or whatever they're called), the screws to hold my crank arms to the device and the other device to the trailer, from Fastenal. Saw two Airstreams on the way home. Today Was A Good Day!!

ingrid
Old 09-30-2006, 05:38 PM   #188
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
help on window...

I have a window that I want to replace in the Tradewind. I was able to remove window tinting from all the old windows except for this one, and I see now that it is plastic. At some point it was put in as a replacement for glass. Does anyone know how to change out this window?

Here's a picture. I am hoping for some input before I start dismantling things. I also have a feeling that even Vulkem won't stick to it and keep it watertight. There is silicone dried goo all over the place on this one and it's never been without a puddle in the frame after rain. The matching window on the other side of the trailer is Corning glass, I believe it's flat...hope so...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sidewindow.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	26434  

ingrid
Old 09-30-2006, 05:54 PM   #189
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Well Ingrid, I am not sure what has happened to your window. Mine only have the gray rubber holding the glass in. I am not sure what to make of your situation. I know that the rubber will have to come out. As for the aluminum piece, I have no answer except to try the rubber first and see if the aluminum is holding in the window too.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:15 PM   #190
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Removing non-opening window

Ingrid, I have one of my windows that was a plexiglas replacement too! You will need to remove the aluminum frame clamp from the side frame to remove the window and frame. It is flat glass and the original chemically tempered Corning window was sealed in it's frame and then the clamp was riveted in place to hold it into the window opening correctly. Be careful when you remove it as mine had some aluminum shims behind the clamps to give it a flush mount to the exterior of the trailer. Make sure you ask for a heat treated piece of glass to be installed at the glass shop to replace the plexiglas with. They will seal it in the frame with butyl tape like they use on storm windows on your house. (Make sure to tell them you want this done!) Clean off all the old silicone sealant from the glass frame and the trailer window opening before you install the window into the trailer. When you re-install it use parabond or vulkem around the exterior opening to give it a leak proof seal. Let it cure for 24 hours and test the seal with water hose to check for any leaks. Ed
Old 10-02-2006, 02:18 AM   #191
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Now THAT is something I never thought of. The matching window on the other side leaks too, but I thought it was because the sealant on the inside was gone. I'm going to Vulkem the other side and start in on removing that plastic one, too.

My problem is finding a glass shop that will cut the glass to size and do all the things you're suggesting, too. I'll need to keep looking because even if I give up on getting glass for my front window from a glass shop, I'll need a shop to cut a piece of Lexan for my rockguard, too.

Thanks Ed...I can't believe how much info you have especially windows!!

ingrid
Old 10-02-2006, 07:02 PM   #192
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Flat tempered glass

Ingrid, I'm sure if you look in your local yellow pages under glass you will find many companies that do commercial, residential, and auto glass that can quote you a price for heat tempered, rounded corners, with pencil sanded edges for your front and rear windows in 1/8" thick glass. The two small non-opening windows on each side (I call 67' vista view windows). They are also heat tempered glass but do not require any special edge treatment as they are completely enclosed. The only reason the bottom and two sides need the pencil ground edges and rounded corners, is to keep people who might walk into your open windows from being severely cut by the glass edges. If you still can't find anyone there to get the glass for you let me know and maybe, if your very good, I will see about getting you glass from my source. Did you see the InlandRV glass prices. Look in the classifieds under vendors. They are pretty good but still high on the flat glass. Let me know what you find out, and if you need my help getting flat glass to replace your plexiglas with. Ed
Old 10-03-2006, 06:46 PM   #193
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Ok...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52
Make sure you ask for a heat treated piece of glass to be installed at the glass shop to replace the plexiglas with. They will seal it in the frame with butyl tape like they use on storm windows on your house. (Make sure to tell them you want this done!) Ed
Ed, you're saying I should I bring all the pieces with me to the glass shop, and they'll install it into the frame for me? I I bought a rivet removal tool finally, when I get it I'll remove that window. I have a bunch of small rusty pieces, the rockguard frame, and this side window I want to remove from the trailer. I'm definitely going to need it in the future.

I am giving my husband dimensions to work on finding a flat glass replacement for the trailer's front window, too. We're getting rain here tonight, the forecast says.

ingrid
Old 10-04-2006, 10:01 AM   #194
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Hi Ingrid,
I have yet to install my new side window (ordered from VTS) because of a trim situation... there's a thread started about it - basically, the trim ordered from inland doesn't work on the corning glass, only Lexan... so I'm working on another avenue for trim. But, I did order a flat tempered window from my local glass shop here and am picking it up today (they got it in less than a week!).

All I did was give them the dimensions and pay a deposit and it's here for about 48$.

Have you had to replace any of your trim? The rain was supposed to wait for my recaulking and new windows!!!!
Tanya
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:31 PM   #195
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Window Trim

Tanya, You can take the VTS glass to the local glass shop and with a picture of how the edge moulding trim is on the rest of your windows. I think they can quote you on installing new aluminum edge mouldings on the new glass. Ed
Old 10-04-2006, 12:42 PM   #196
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
Ed, you're saying I should I bring all the pieces with me to the glass shop, and they'll install it into the frame for me? I I bought a rivet removal tool finally, when I get it I'll remove that window. I have a bunch of small rusty pieces, the rockguard frame, and this side window I want to remove from the trailer. I'm definitely going to need it in the future.

I am giving my husband dimensions to work on finding a flat glass replacement for the trailer's front window, too. We're getting rain here tonight, the forecast says.
Ingrid, My local shop told me that they could make me a new Lexan rock guard and have a new aluminum moulding edge trim put on it. I'm not that far along on my exterior so I didn't get a price quote yet but, if my shop can do it I bet other shops can too. Just depends on what you need and how fancy you want it to get. Your local glass shop can probably repair your old rock guard frame and install the Lexan for you all at once. Then you will need the new support arms and holddowns that Airstream sells. Oh yeah, I forgot to send you the part numbers....Duh! Senior moment! I'll go get the numbers and send you another post with them yet today. Ed
Old 10-04-2006, 12:42 PM   #197
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Tanya, '67's have windows without trim. But keep us posted on your progress. Misery loves company!!

ingrid
Old 10-04-2006, 12:43 PM   #198
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Thanks Ed!! I had forgotten myself...my priority is that $@#! front window.

ingrid
Old 10-05-2006, 09:51 AM   #199
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Is Ed giving you numbers for the rockguard parts - e-clip deals... just being nosey.... cause I have both of those issues at hand.
Did you try the e-clip advice?

Ed, do you have a source for those rockguard parts - I can't find 'em.

Ingrid, how are you keeping the rain out of your trailer with missing windows, etc. Have you replaced all your vents n' such. I didn't catch it on your thread (or I forget ).
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:40 PM   #200
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
rain etc.

Hi there! I was thinking of you yesterday when it started raining here...the rains have arrived, but I think we'll have another dry spell in November/December. In fact it's dry out right now.

I sometimes PM my answers, the clip advice I should have put here. Yes I was able to gently squeeze the clips together a little bit, and they stay on and work fine. They are available at Kragen. Careful! Don't pinch your fingers, it hurts.

I've been using the classic heavy plastic and blue paint tape method of keeping the trailer interior dry. Hasn't worked as nicely as finishing the dang thing would, though. My vent holes aren't covered, so I tape those up too. My floor edges do get wet, but not enough to worry about.

ingrid