Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1959-69 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2006, 01:50 PM   #161
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52
Ingrid, Just a note to tell you I am still checking on adhesive. The glass shop wants to use a two part epoxie mix. I'm trying to find out if it will hold up with time and UV exposure. They are supposed to get back to me this week. Ed

Glass epoxy "will not" bond properly to glass or stainless steel, since neither one has pores.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 12:01 AM   #162
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Note to self

Mar-Hyde Tal-Strip II Aircraft Coating and Removing

Gets all kinds of crud off the trailer, according to legend. Available at Kragen.

If I post this here I'll know where to look for "that stuff that was recommended to me".

This really is a note to self. I almost lost the one on paper.

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 12:02 AM   #163
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Glass epoxy "will not" bond properly to glass or stainless steel, since neither one has pores.

Andy
Then why do they call it glass epoxy? Not to be a smartypants.

ingrid
Old 09-18-2006, 08:56 AM   #164
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Adhesive for clips

Andy, Then why would a glass shop recommend it to attach the Stainless clips to the automotive type glass? Now I am confused! The glass shop told me that they attach the buttons for rear view mirrors with the Epoxy all the time with very few failures of the buttons to stay put on the winshield glass. And yes I am aware that mounting buttons do fall off from time to time but isn't this method a better solution than just using silicone adhesive? Please let us know if there is a better product to use. Any glass shop owners/workers want to chime in on what is best to use? Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:44 AM   #165
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52
Andy, Then why would a glass shop recommend it to attach the Stainless clips to the automotive type glass? Now I am confused! The glass shop told me that they attach the buttons for rear view mirrors with the Epoxy all the time with very few failures of the buttons to stay put on the winshield glass. And yes I am aware that mounting buttons do fall off from time to time but isn't this method a better solution than just using silicone adhesive? Please let us know if there is a better product to use. Any glass shop owners/workers want to chime in on what is best to use? Ed

Friction and tension have held those clips in place since 1966.

Rear view mirrors are not made from stainless steel.

The epoxy may stick to the glass and may stick to the stainless. However, everytime you close the window, you will put stress on the clip, which in turn will pull it loose.

So why bother?

However, as always, it's your choice.

Andy
Old 09-19-2006, 03:15 PM   #166
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
OK then...

Ed, I'm going to go ahead and put my clips on without any glue. The only other option I can think of is to contact Airstream and find out how they attached the clips in the first place.

ingrid
Old 09-19-2006, 05:40 PM   #167
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
Ed, I'm going to go ahead and put my clips on without any glue. The only other option I can think of is to contact Airstream and find out how they attached the clips in the first place.
Airstream simply slid the clips on the glass (in 66-67) and over the metal frame in 68, no glue, no tape, no nothing.

Andy
Old 09-19-2006, 11:21 PM   #168
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Thanks, Andy. I can just go ahead and do it and not have to wonder.

ingrid
Old 09-20-2006, 10:01 AM   #169
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
Thanks, Andy. I can just go ahead and do it and not have to wonder.
Save the worries for this falls state elections in California.

Andy
Old 09-20-2006, 04:24 PM   #170
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
elections...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Save the worries for this falls state elections in California.
You ain't kiddin!!

ingrid
Old 09-20-2006, 10:22 PM   #171
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Andy Knows Best...

Ingrid, If anyone knows about attaching these clips it should be Andy. So I will follow suit and put the clips on with no adhesive. Ed
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
Old 09-20-2006, 11:39 PM   #172
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
I'm guessing if they go on with a bit of pushing, it would take a bit of pulling to remove them. Let's git'er'done!!

My next problem is finding the replacement screw that goes inside of the crank handle on the mechanism that pulls the window shut via the clip. It goes inside the center of the handle that you hold and turn, and some of mine are missing. I cleaned up the ones I still had, and they work fine, but I haven't had any luck finding more replacements. We're going to Fastenal this week to get more carriage bolts for the floor and hoping to find something there.

ingrid
Old 09-21-2006, 05:10 AM   #173
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Ingrid,

The screw you are talking about is called a "Phillister head" Knowing that name will help. My biggest problem with them has been finding phillips head ones. I forgot what size they are, but 10-32 keeps surfacing in my mind.....
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:53 AM   #174
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by till
Ingrid,

The screw you are talking about is called a "Phillister head" Knowing that name will help. My biggest problem with them has been finding phillips head ones. I forgot what size they are, but 10-32 keeps surfacing in my mind.....

Should be 8-32. The head shape could be Phillips, or flat, Fillister, or even pan.

Andy
Old 09-21-2006, 10:22 AM   #175
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Crank handle screws

Ingrid, Fastenal is the BEST! I just take them a sample screw, nut, or bolt and they have matched it up to new stock every time so far. Then they make me tell them if I want it in stainless, aluminum, or galvanized. I don't have to decide what type screw driver slot or head type... they do it all. Ed
Old 09-21-2006, 01:14 PM   #176
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
screws

Thanks for the info, all. I went to our little local ACE HW and Home Cheapo and they didn't have anything that would fit the hole, go in all the way, or hold the handle properly to make it work. I brought in the whole mechanism and stood there and tried about every one. Frustrating, because I really want to finish my WINDOWS!!!!!!! The rainy season is coming.

And...I'm glad I can semi-confidently just slide on those window clips knowing Airstream did that too...thanks again Andy,

I've taken notes and stuck them into my wallet. I have my little guinea pig mechanism to bring with me. Now...

Fastenal Field Trip!!!

(My husband loves that stuff like this floats my boat...I'll take a parts store over Nordstrom anytime)

ingrid
Old 09-21-2006, 02:22 PM   #177
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Hey!

So.... So ya like the nuts and bolts of a challenge? So what! I kinda think that would be a good asset for a woman! They don't make 'em like that very much anymore! You remember when in the pioneer days they would stop plowing long enough to give birth and then back to the fields! So don't let anyone cause you to stop what gets you going ....I personally think you are ahead of the curve. Keep on truckin' and here are some flowers for you... . Your Friend, Ed
Old 09-23-2006, 07:05 PM   #178
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Clips are in YAHOO

OK...I went ahead and installed the window clips. They are IN!! My windows now CLOSE. My experience was that if you clamp them together gently with pliers, NOT at the edge where they bend but the edge where the lip is, they will hold nicely and go flat against the glass.

Two sided tape was too thick to bend over the edge of the glass first. Tape on one side of the glass and not the other got pushed up with the clip as we pushed it onto the window.

I chipped a window edge slightly (the window clip hides the boo boo) by clamping it too tightly at the bottom edge of the clip. I've decided that in a former life I was a window-smashing vandal or something and I have bad window karma. I let hubby do the rest and got to work on the frame. Tomorrow I POR15. That I can do.

Drove by Fastenal in Oakland today but they're closed on weekends. This weeks mission: to get screws. No puns please.

ingrid
Old 09-24-2006, 06:09 PM   #179
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
frame and window mechanisms

Finished putting POR15 on the top of the frame, there are a few sections I will get to underneath when we jack it up to do things like strapping in tanks, etc. I also finished cleaning and also re-installed the open/close arms that go the sides of the windows. Gave the gaskets on every window one more good soaking with silicone spray and cranked them shut. I worked a putty knife between the glass and gasket to hopefully create a nice flat curve in the corners.

My only problem is that the e-clips that hold the window arm/crank/device together don't fit. I got replacements that look like JUST the same size from Kragen, but they're slightly too big and come off. Any ideas?

ingrid
Old 09-24-2006, 09:19 PM   #180
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
E-clips

Ingrid, If they fit too loosely you can squeeze them together (slightly) from end to end (they are spring steel so be gentle) and they will fit the slots tighter. If they slide on the slots just fine, but are too big after install then they are the wrong ID (inside dimension) and should be replaced by smaller ID (interior dimension) clips. Ed