Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1959-69 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2006, 09:42 PM   #141
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
sigh...

I know it's been a long time...we are at this point where the floor section needs to go in, and then I can start thinking bout ordering tanks, etc. but my husband is working on three, count them three, very profitable jobs right now all at once. If I try to put that floor in myself I am guaranteed to screw it up and set us back. It's cut, it's treated, and it's ready to go in.

I never thought summer would be so busy around here. We have season passes to Six Flags Marine World/Waterworld which are both nearby. We have a membership to the local pool. We go to the beach and Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk regularly. Finally, the kids asked us just for a day where they could sit and relax! I even let them watch unlimited TV that day; they weren't that interested and ended up sitting around reading. Cruel parents are we. We remodeled our daughter's room, tore out carpet, put in hardwood floor, paint job with three colors, new furniture from IKEA and hauling bags of toys to Salvation Army. The cat got sick and we had to put him down. I started working from home for a Harley Davidson Motorcycle parts software company which is releasing a catalog that integrates all catalogs of Harley parts into one database, searchable by every conceivable term. Money isn't that great but this might lead to better things, including BENEFITS. Plus...the heatwave...

I did get my small window from VTS, and we're ready to put it in. Maybe I can get hubster to put it in this weekend, and that might motivate him to put in the floor. The rainy season is coming and I have one more window to get...then...we're good.

Even the kids are anxious for school to start so they can relax!!

I'm going to order window clips right now. How is your rig coming along, Ed?

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:28 PM   #142
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Progress

Ingrid, I'm still waiting on window clips! I thought they would be available by now but still can't order on the VTS website. I check it at least three times a day to see if they are ready to take my order. It won't accept any clip sizes yet. I need 14 clips so I will qualify for the $0.50 per clip discount. I do however feel that Steve mis-represented the cost to me a year ago when he sent me a P M that stated the price per clip was to be $5.95 not the current $6.95. Oh well, I guess the profit margin needed to be adjusted. I hope to order mine soon too. I was able to get a pocelain commode from a 1967 Ambassador from TILL (Tedd). It's to replace my original one that was cracked and also had a chunk of the bottom edge near the flush pedal missing when I got the trailer. That will be installed once I get all the plumbing work inspected and any leaks repaired. I am going to replace most of it with Pex eventually. I am working on the new framing for the front Queen size bed that I am replacing the two front twins with. I will save the fronts and storage doors to be used on the new frames, the rest of the curbside twin was to badly water damaged from the missing window to be repaired. I have a replacement set of awing arms that I bought from a Forums member in Arizona to replace the ones currently on my Carefree awning. They appear to be in excellent shape compared to the badly worn ones on the coach now. I will be working on replacing them while the awning is removed to have new canvas installed. I have a local canvas manufacturer that has assured me that they can replace the canvas with one that will be Uv Protected and have a waterproofing applied to the exposed surface. I can't wait to get this done. The original material from Carefree is A/S Blue and White striped. The new one will be the same design and the scalloped front edge will be solid Blue with AIRSTREAM embroidered centered on it. It looks cool on their cad designed computer rendering. Got a big yard sale on for tomorrow and Saturday. I hope to sell a bunch of stuff as Carol and I have decided to un-clutter ourselves. lol! Guess that's enough update for now. I'll keep you posted. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:44 PM   #143
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Life goes on...

Ingrid-

Thanks for update... Mixed feelings about Hubby's booming contracting jobs... Best part I guess is that when it slows in fall there will be $$ to spend on more parts...

At least weather has been better after heat wave... Only ten weeks to get ready for sleeping bags, air mattresses and porta-potty at Lake San Antonio!

John McG

p.s. Retirement has kinda been like that for me... 30 to 40 hours/week of conf calls and interviews and writing as consulting training course developer..

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 01:10 AM   #144
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Nada, Nichts, Nothing

Not a speck of progress in the last month. The window fairy came though, and I have the replacement for the one I broke. I guess I can shop while I'm waiting for Big Dog Husband to take a break and help me on the trailer. Oh, I also have the beginnings of new wheel wells, they need to be cut and welded and installed into the trailer before the floor goes in. Rainy season is coming... Time to start asking when we can get started again...

ingrid
Old 08-21-2006, 10:58 PM   #145
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Progress

Ingrid, Finally winding down on summer and work? Won't the rain slow down your work on flooring? I'm still waiting for window clips. I am not holding my breath as the last several times I was told they would be available came and went and still no clips. Did you get my message about the price per clip being increased by $1.00 per since Steve quoted me $5.95 last year? Guess that increase was due to the gas price increases. Probably passed along by the shipper to VTS. I keep checking the website to see if they are coming soon though. What can I say...ya gotta have them. Well keep us posted. Ed
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
Old 08-23-2006, 12:17 AM   #146
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Hi BigEd,

It doesn't really start to rain here until mid to late December, even later. And I jusuuust started hinting to husband about putting in that piece of floor...he'll be getting to it soon I hope...

ingrid
Old 08-27-2006, 05:31 PM   #147
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Got some done!

The progress fairy visited me today! We got the back section of floor partially in. I needed to hit a small area that I had missed with some POR15 and when that is done, we shove the floor where it permanently belongs and trim it to size with a jigsaw. I painted the small area and we installed the second to last window. One more and we're done!

I plan to start up again on cleaning window parts, the elbow mechanisms on the side, and re-installing them.

Yours in satisfaction,

Pinkflamingoes

ingrid
Old 09-01-2006, 12:59 AM   #148
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Great news!!!!

Ingrid, I'm soooo happy you got the floor done. Now to finish those pesky windows. I got some great news today. VTS has shipped my window clips! It is wonderful when all is right in the universe. Oh, I guess Pluto doesn't think so. It is so sad that it is no longer a planet.... I wonder if they will take the name away too? I guess we will someday find out where the Grays come from, and after this insult I just hope their home isn't what used to be the 9th planet in our now politically corrected solar system. Such a shame too... as I was just thinking the other day that maybe some future space explorers would land there and finally have the answer to the question we have all been asking for sooo many years. "Where is Waldo? Anyway, just thought you'd like to know about my upcoming parts arrival. Ed
Old 09-01-2006, 05:59 PM   #149
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
I got the same email, I'm about to get the same Christmas present you are! I only needed 10 clips total but I went ahead and ordered six of each size that I needed "just in case". I can't resist a discount.

We're bolting down the floor in the rear this weekend, my husband even brought it up of his own accord a couple of times. I think spending our anniversary in a dumpy motel room that cost over $100 a night sent him over the edge into Airstream "Git'er done" mode. Whatever it takes.

Yeah I feel kind of robbed that Pluto just isn't a planet anymore. What about the Blues Clues Planet Song? And my paper mache planet mobile from 5th grade? Is it defunct? Do I have to take science all over again? Why not just leave well enough alone. I think we should appeal this decision in court.

I'll take pics of the floor progress and post soon. Keep in touch, Clip Guy!

ingrid
Old 09-01-2006, 09:54 PM   #150
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Well, Well, Well ya fell in a Well?

INGRID, Good deal! I'm so glad that the clips are in the mail.... I was beginning to believe that they would never be in production much less shipped to us! I hope your floor install goes smoothly so you are ready to Git r Done on the last of your windows. I hope to have mine all install by the middle of September if work allows. I'm waiting to see your new pics of the new floor. Ed
Old 09-02-2006, 04:00 PM   #151
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Elves exist!

The clip elves visited in the night and delivered my clips via USPS and they are NICE! Stainless steel, very very sturdy, shiny, pretty clips. I'm glad I ordered extra; I am going to try to remove the rusted pitted ones that I sprayed over with silver rustproof paint. Not too hard though, if they don't come off I'll leave them, that means they are better off staying on my intact window than being pulled off and breaking another window in the process.

VTS does it again! Floor will take place Monday probably. Pictures then. I'll finish windows etc. before then,and post.

ingrid
Old 09-04-2006, 05:43 PM   #152
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
rear floor in

Yahoo!

Got the rear floor trimmed to fit the trailer shell and bolted down to the C-channel and frame.. Here's a picture. The extra floor is the center piece that goes in after I finish that part of the frame with POR15. The wheel wells-to-be are waiting there for some trimming and will get painted with the POR15 too.

I also took a leaf blower and blew every bit of debris out from under the trailer; sawed off bolts, pieces of insulation, leaves, bark, dust...now I have a clean work area. This has nothing to do with the trailer, but I mowed, edged and watered the front and back lawn too.

Feeling good about myself,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newfloorsmall.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	25583  

ingrid
Old 09-04-2006, 05:58 PM   #153

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Hi Ingrid, I haven't checked in for a while. Looks like great progress!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 06:22 PM   #154
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Clip Job

Hey, If you are looking for more lawn to do come on down! I guess I should say...East. Boy I'm really having an anxiety attack now waiting for my clips to arrive. I ordered mine at least 1 day eariler than you did and you got them first! And you live on the far side of the country. MOM always did like you best! LOL! Let me know how you attach them. I am still going to check with the folks from the glass shop on how to make them stay put the longest. I let you know what they say. Ed
Old 09-04-2006, 08:44 PM   #155
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
not to worry

Thanks Ed. This week I'm going to go out and POR15 the midsection of the frame and maybe take off some old clips. I'm going to wait until you notify me of any advice on adhesive etc. before I put the new ones on.

FYI, when I ordered my clips, the cost for shipping one way that seemed faster was actually cheaper than UPS ground or whatever. I went the fast way. Don't forget the holiday weekend.

If you check the status of yours and it says "pending and you can't change this order" etc. that means they're coming. Keep me posted so we can do a little Clip Dance!!
Attached Images

ingrid
Old 09-04-2006, 10:22 PM   #156
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Vote for Pedro!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 11:06 PM   #157
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Clip dance?

Last time I saw anyone making moves like that it was caused by a squirrel that had run up their pants leg...tehehe!
Old 09-05-2006, 02:36 PM   #158
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
The new clips are here... The new clips are here!

Ingrid my clips arrived today... I just opened them and they look fantastic. gonna call the glass place. let you know later what they use for asdhesive. Ed
Old 09-05-2006, 03:12 PM   #159
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
heh hehe

Recognized the title of your post from Steve Martin's The Jerk, when the phone book arrives. Loved that movie!

I'll be waiting for info on adhesive. I'm really looking forward to getting my windows done, GOSH!!

ingrid
Old 09-11-2006, 10:19 PM   #160
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Clip Adhesive

Ingrid, Just a note to tell you I am still checking on adhesive. The glass shop wants to use a two part epoxie mix. I'm trying to find out if it will hold up with time and UV exposure. They are supposed to get back to me this week. Ed