Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2006, 09:54 AM   #121
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Hubcaps

Dale, Just a word to welcome you to the forums.......Welcome! As you may have noticed !967 Airstreams ROCK! That being said I have looked at the pics you uploaded. Your new running gear looks sweet! Hope you are replacing the big Moon Hubcaps with A/S Hubcaps. They will give your coach a special look on the wheels. Set Up A Thread of your own on the work you are doing and keep the pictures coming. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:56 PM   #122
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52
Set Up A Thread of your own on the work you are doing and keep the pictures coming. Ed
Welcome from here too!!

Yes, not that I mind being hijacked though, I thought no one was reading mine. If you start your own, I can subscribe to it and keep straight who's doing what and we can all help each other.

Got more pictures of your sweeeeeeet '67, the overall condition?

When you say "finishing up the running gear" what are you doing to it? Just to get myself into more trouble if possible.
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:59 PM   #123
1 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
South Portland , Maine
Thanks for the warm welcome!
I think I will set up my own thread for the project but hopefully we can share info and help each other out. I have tons of pics of it already since I wanted a journal of everything I did. My buddy is a metal fabricator and he's doing most of the frame and running gear stuff between his jobs. He's made some really nice access hatches out of plate aluminum, so I had him replace the rest to match. He's got 55 hours into this already! I'm more of a finish guy and woodworker so I do the small stuff and part running until I get to the interior. I've researched Airstreams for the passt 3 years cuz I always wanted one. I sold my almost new 28' Hornet this spring to have the honor and headache of restoring this one. I've been looking for a '59 Bambi, but up here in Maine, this was the closest I could come. It was pretty cheap so I decided to go for it. The whole window thing is pretty funky, huh?
Anyway, to answer both of your questions;
BIGED- I had a hard time finding the moons that fit the original clips and didn't want to do the after market big ones after spending so much time blasting and epoxying the wheels. I happened to be ordering some parts from Inland yesterday and by chance asked about them. They said they had the correct ones for it so they're on their way now. I'll do a pic when they arrive.
pinkfamingoes- We pulled the wheels, hubs, shocks, brakes and bearings. Everything got sandblasted and epoxied. (we don't like powder coat, never had any luck with it) The shocks were replaced and happened to be blue, Napa. I replaced the old whitewall radials with 8-ply bias tires, 225-75-15, trailer rated sidewall, just to keep it period correct. We haven't put power to the brakes yet, but if the actuators are shot, I may pull the whole assembly and do without. This trailer is half the weight of my old one! My axles still have a little life left (negative camber) so they'll stay for now. The taller tires helped in that department too.
I finally hooked a hose to her today and it wasn't pretty. Also, when dropping the black water tank to rebuild the box and frame, we found the prior owner left us a little present in there! I thought it felt a little heavy for a plastic tank...
I'll put a few more pics here for ya then move over to a new thread in a few days. In the pics, you'll see some stuff is done, some in progress and one pic of my "goal"
Thanks again for the hospitality,
Dale
Attached Images

rivetd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:42 PM   #124
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Very pretty!

You must have known this was the trailer for you when you saw "RIVETD" meaning, riveted, and Rivet D(ale). These things mean something!

You are welcome to post and stay on my thread as long as you like!

As for me: see the steel was-a-box against our brick fence in the last set of pictures? That's our black tank and the box. I just finished grinding off all the bolts where the floor was attached to the frame, and since we only have a small piece of new floor to worry about getting wet, I got in there with the hose and rinsed off all the loose rust and leftover insulation that was clinging to the frame. Then I'm painting with POR15, when it dries, probably next week during the day when kiddo's at school.

Good luck, try www.flickr.com or www.webshots.com to post pictures. We'd love to see them!
Old 06-02-2006, 08:16 PM   #125
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Ed,

Those "Big moons" are stock. They should be chrome with a blue stripe on the flat part. I think I have a picture......Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-007S.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	21874
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:32 PM   #126
1 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
South Portland , Maine
Whoa! I've never seen those in that condition. Doubt that's what mine will look like, we'll see. Those look like they'll fit on the clips, not over the whole hub.

I get a kick out of how we used the 1/4" rivets for the plate. It's a double entendre, no?
Old 06-02-2006, 10:37 PM   #127
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Colorado Springs , Colorado
por silver/green

I mixed for ever for my silver por and it still came out with a green hue to it. I guess topcoat is required, any comments? I did black por underneath frame it went on very nice. I still have two cans of grey to try from my POR "six pak". But I still think it will need top be top coated.
Deano69LY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 01:00 AM   #128
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Hi,
The greenish hue is from UV/light interacting with the POR15. I think you just can't see it with the black POR15. Yes, you will have to topcoat it if you want that to go away. I don't know if you have to do the POR15 coat again first though, I don't think so. The topcoat for your grey areas is Stirling Silver, unless there's a grey topcoat they sell these days, I haven't looked in a long time at the POR15 store. From what I have read, the greenish hue doesn't harm anything and the POR15 is still effective, it's just greenish.

Stirling silver goes on really thin, so don't buy a lot! And I hear olive oil gets POR15 off your skin but I haven't tested that...

Good luck!!
Old 06-04-2006, 10:04 PM   #129
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
POR15'd back frame top

Broke out the old can of POR15 from last year, and it was still good. I painted a coat on the top of the back end of the frame, and got the wheel well out. We decided, because we are re-skinning the inside, or at least the inside lower panels in aluminum (or something) that we could cut the inner skin with snips rather than removing them right now, to get the bolts out of the C-channel in the back corner. That was the only part of floor that wouldn't come out.

When the POR15 dries again, I am going to get in there with maybe a pressure washer and clean off debris and leftover insulation that I missed, and treat the frame where it still needs it with POR15. The frame next to the wheels has a thick layer of dirt on it, I need to clean that up with a brush or the pressure washer to get that ready too.

Olive oil trick didn't work on my hands. But I did mostly get it on the frame where I wanted it to go...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	framepaint 004.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	21996   Click image for larger version

Name:	framepaint 005.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	21997  

Old 06-05-2006, 07:08 AM   #130
1 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
South Portland , Maine
Looks like you're really deep into this thing! Thanks for those pics, kinda shows what I'm going be looking at as I peel away the layers. How much of the plumbing and electrical is actually running through those holes in the frame, if any? On mine, I see the propane lines are attatched to the outside of the belly pan (probably a code issue) but I'm not to sure what I'll find above that other than insulation. When I put the water to her this weekend, I found a major gusher below the floor/duct box under the kitchen sink area. If I can fix that, I'll probably find some smaller leaks down the line. I also have chewed up wiring hanging down in certain areas so I'm reluctant to put any power to her, lest she be known as "Sparky". I may pull all the belly pan off and do a total re-wire, re-plumb. Any schematics for this stuff?
Old 06-05-2006, 11:07 AM   #131
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Be Ingrid?

Ingrid-

Pictures look great, and casual references to shifting between epoxy pint and pressure washing shows an advanced level of new skills... I'd go with acetone or some stronger solvent than olive oil for POR 15, but gloves and face covering are probably safer...

read about the "Be Jane" website to empower women to use power tools and pursue home improvement projects. Look at: http://www.be-jane.com/Default.aspx Figured you could be the poster person for the mobile version... Actually looks like a useful website...

John McG

p.s Thx for present from $ store.. Pictures very cool!

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 12:22 PM   #132
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
answers no, schematics yes

Hi RivetD, I am not the person to ask about plumbing and electrical. We are hiring out the electrical probably, I just do the dirty work :-) I do have the manual for this year, and I can send you copies of your layout/schematics, just PM me your address and they're yours. No charge...it all comes back to me in help, karma, and encouragement. (probalby cost me .37 cents anyway).

Check out threads on PEX plumbing.

Cool Condolum'!

We Can Do It, Ingie the Riveter...

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
Old 06-08-2006, 06:41 PM   #133
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Frame clean!

Got that last %#!*&)(! piece of floor out in the back corner and finally the old floor is really GONE. It took me an hour to remove almost all the floor, and another hour to remove a stubborn less than square foot in the corner.
Took a power washer to the frame where the wheel wells were and tomorrow I finish with the POR15 on the top area. Or maybe Saturday.

There is damage to the C-Channel where a bolt went through, in two places. It's all corroded away.

I'm also DONE polishing each and every little window crank assembly. Now I need to lube and install them and windows are done except for the two, one coming from VTS and the other one I"m saving my $$ for a front replacement.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:30 PM   #134
1 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
South Portland , Maine
Nice pics of the frame...I just got the belly pans off mine today and got a peek at the rest of the frame. Looks like a total rebuild of the tank box area and rear floor brace but the rest of it is in pretty good shape. Powered it up today and most of the 12v &120v is okay. And I got heat. Plumbing will take some work.
Trying for a maiden voyage next weekend.
Thanks again, pf, for the schematics!

Cheers!
Old 06-12-2006, 12:52 AM   #135
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Listening to the VAP and seeing pictures of really bad frames, I feel very lucky that ours is in such good shape. Needs no welding. Whew.

Rivetd, we really really really really really love pictures. Really!
Old 06-14-2006, 03:48 AM   #136
1 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
South Portland , Maine
Oops! Sorry, spending more time working on it than documenting it!
Here ya go;
1-Looking back at the box. Leaving the box off for now after building a cradle for the tank. I'll re-box after getting the gray water tank installed.
2-Tank dropped 1 1/2", here's why.
3-New atv jack!
4-Access door detail.
5-New heater installed. (I'm in Maine!)
6-??? Catch basin for vent pipes? How does it drain?
7-Relaced 1 fuse and it works, hum-free!
More to come. Picking up lp tanks tomorrow. Leaving on first trip Thursday, maybe!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	22283   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	22284  

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	22285   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	22286  

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	22287   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	22288  

Name:	7.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	22289  
Old 06-23-2006, 07:06 PM   #137
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
hub cap

I just posted an ad in the classifieds offering a hub cap to the best offer or free if no one wants to pay. just a heads up...all I want is a little beer money...
Old 07-02-2006, 03:41 PM   #138
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
bolt grinding

Today I went out and ground off all the bolts sticking out from the bottom of the C-channel. We are cutting out about four inches of inner skin from the inside bottom, to expose the c-channel and to more easily get to bolts both for removal and for installing new, not to mention that we're planning to re-skin the interior, or at least those parts, anyway. Those areas were so full of cracks and holes that we'd end up either putting in another skin on top (which we still might do) or a new one down there.

From what I'm reading, POR15 makes a putty that repairs fiberglass really nicely, so we are being careful to keep the inner end-caps intact and installed, we will fill in holes there with whatever's needed to make it nice and then probably re-paint those with a different color than vanilla ice cream that's been left in the refrigerator too long.

Hubby will check it out and if it's good to go, we get the new section of floor in. The floor section is cut and treated with varnish, resting comfortably against the house wall. Weather's good here so I took advantage of it and did as much as I could on the trailer.

I did almost kill myself balancing on frame crossmembers without holding on to the walls. Note to self: keep your feet on the ground and step over the frame. Some people can balance themselves, but not you.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:42 PM   #139
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Balancing Act!

Ingrid, Good to see you are still going at it full steam! I hope you are being careful, one wrong step and you'll be laid up for a long time! Remember take your time and be safe... Ed
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
Old 08-08-2006, 09:12 AM   #140
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Summertime and the livin' is easy!!!!!

Ingrid, I know summer is a busy time but it's been a month since your last update! Wazz-up! Ed