Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2005, 08:44 PM   #81
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
He cut it from the template of the old floor, so it was pretty exact, but it seemed to hang 1/2 over each side of the frame on either side. I think it's a good fit, because of the "tweaking" a trailer does when it moves. Plus, we removed the inner and outer panels from the frame where we were replacing the floor.
If it is hanging 1/2 in over the frame ( speak outriggers) then that might be ok. If, however, it is hanging 1/2 in past the exterior skin, then that's too large. The shell will not fit properly if you have too much floor. Especially once you get around to the last sheet to go in.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:21 AM   #82
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
That looks great and your work area is so neat. You should see the mess I make just trying to restore the cosmetic things in the Argosy. I would be ashamed to take pictures of "in progress" repairs. I think you area is the sign of a good craftsman. And, the floor looks great. Judy
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 11:29 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
DON"T TELL ME you're a Springsteen fan to boot!!!!!!!!!

But now you're sad,
You're Mama's mad,
And your Papa says he knows that I don't have any money...

How cool is this forum.

Uwe, the floor only barely hangs over the frame edge. I think we're OK there.

Juel, here's a picture of the other end of my trailer...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floor0006small.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	13539  

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 11:33 AM   #84
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
PS Hey moogs, try the bedding tape and keep the sealant for something else, maybe? I have a feeling you'll be able to use it to seal in gaps or something.

Bedding tape is cheap.

And just because we're working on the floor doesn't mean I did anything on the windows!

ingrid
Old 08-04-2005, 08:31 PM   #85
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Quote:
DON"T TELL ME you're a Springsteen fan to boot!!!!!!!!!

But now you're sad,
You're Mama's mad,
And your Papa says he knows that I don't have any money...

How cool is this forum.
Hey Ingrid - Yup - 'tis true ...just saw him in concert 2 weeks ago...

Now I'm just trying to find the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car....

...or was it a Safari?
moogie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 06:43 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Thumbs up over three months!

I finally got out there and successfully removed all old crumbly gasket from all the windows. Also installed two window gaskets and removed old bubbled window tint from two windows. Next post you see will be the tentative "idea phase" of our layout for the inside. Uwe has inspired us and we're going to put some big arse water tanks under the floor mounted on the frame.

Gaskets are so confusing!

ingrid
Old 11-06-2005, 07:03 PM   #87
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
layout

here you go, this is what we want to do:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	layoutresized.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	16094  

ingrid
Old 11-06-2005, 09:39 PM   #88
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Pink,

The work looks great, nice pics, keep it up!

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 06:19 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Unhappy slowly but surely

Today I removed window tint from another window. I sprayed it with ammonia on the inside, laid plastic wrap against it to trap the ammonia against the glass, put a black garbage bag against the outside with soap and water, and put a small shop heater on a ladder against it to heat up and hopefully soften the glue under the tint. I tried it for an hour and it made no difference in the ease of getting it off. So this time I left it on for three days! (not the heater; just the wrap over ammonia). So I went out, the tint came off in strips but the glue was still on; it was soft, so a razor blade scraped it off pretty easily.

I also put gasket on two windows. I am having major gasket worries. If your gasket, put on the day before, sticks if you pull on it gently, is it on well enough? Why does it sometimes stick fine and in some places pulls off? I put a thin, even layer of gasket on the windowframe, let it sit for a few minutes, and lay the gasket gently on it. I clip the corners with clips and hope for the best.

Corners are hard. The gasket goes on the way it looks like it should all around, except for corners, it sticks up until I close the window the next day (after silicone spray) Does the gasket eventually lay flat against the window frame after a while, even when you open it? It looks so weird after I put it on, the two lips of the gasket sticking straight up at me. I did close one window and it laid down pretty flat-ish, but I still worry about the corners. They are almost flat, the flaps lay down and aren't smushed down out of their shape, but jeez. Some reassurance would be nice. I think I did it OK.

ingrid
Old 11-11-2005, 07:23 PM   #90
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Ingrid, if I read your post right, I think you have to notch out the corners, so they will go into the corners properly. The gasket is bunched up on the inside of the ocrners because there is twice as much as there is anywhere else. Try doing this to one corner, cut a 45 degree angle notch on one side of the corner, and a 45 degree notch in the same corner, on the other side. The gasket should then lay flat.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:52 PM   #91
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
window gaskets

DO NOT CUT THE GASKET!!! The new gasket will start to lay flatter after a few months. Yes it is hard and messy. A coat of "cement" on the back of the gasket that has dried to the touch is about right. I let mine windows stay closed for a couple of days after I put on my gaskets. I used a screw driver to nudge the gasket into its proper place for curing. Then came the silicone treatment. I have done this twice (a week apart) on mine. The gasket should not really lay flat. It needs to be out at about 45 deg. so that it can seal against the window. The corners are the hardest part to deal with. It will come together. Make sure that you do not pull (stretch) the gasket in any way. I made that mistake.

Preparation is the key. good clean surface for the gasket to bond to in of the utmost importance.

No offense Terry
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 08:53 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Never fear!

I already made the mistake of cutting the gasket on attempt #1. This is attempt #4 on this particular window. Cutting the gasket was the reason we removed the first attempt. Second; put the wrong surface against the trailer. Third; same as #2. It does sound like I did it right however. I didn't stretch the gasket in any way, I carefully and calmly laid it down flat on the glued surface. It does sort of stick up at that weird angle but the one window I closed on the gasket has a seal that I can see!! I just keep remembering the nice, flat 40- year old (useless) gasket that I removed. Makes it hard to put on new and be confident.

I did that screwdriver thing too...I must be on the right track. As far as the clean surface; I removed gasket all the way down to the shine, even if it meant damaging the aluminum a bit, on the surface the gasket would attach to. I figure no one will see it anyway and I ain't removing any more gasket if I can avoid it.

ingrid
Old 11-12-2005, 04:19 AM   #93
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
I am really looking forward to doing this...

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 06:52 AM   #94
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Ingrid,
I like your layout idea. Looks like you will have plenty of room for a good sized bed in the back.
Did you consider existing windows in your new layout?
I have not worked on the curved glass windows, but it seems that you should apply adhesive to both the window frame and the gasket surface that is about to be glued. Let them dry to the touch and it should be instant bonding once you press the gasket on the window frame.
If you're looking for more windows to do, I know of this little Overlander that still needs a complete gasket replacement...
Old 11-12-2005, 03:24 PM   #95
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
well...

Hmmmm. Existing windows. I guess things like where the windows are are kind of important!

We're going to mock up the inside with either chalk or tape or cardboard boxes and make sure it makes layout sense. But since you said that I'm going to put window marks on my drawing. Thanks Uwe (*ingrid taps the side of her head*).

My biggest screwups have been putting the wrong surface down. Once I figured out that the little tiny teeny flat surface part is the part the window touches, I put it on right.

I've screwed up this front window THREE times, so I'm an expert at gasket removal...bring your trailer here, park it in the driveway, and I'll take off the old gasket for you, in exchange for baked goods and general airstream advice. (I'm serious, if anyone wants me to do it, come on down).

You have to put on the new gasket yourself!!

So just in case you need to know, a Dremel with these bits work on old glue removal:

First one is for dry, crumbly surface left over after you sliced off the gasket.

Second one is for the brand new still-gunky black adhesive you have to take off if/when you screw it up. The key with this one is moving very slowly so the heat of the friction actually melts the glue, and then takes it off. Corners are hard to get into and this will actually damage your aluminum surface, gouging into it a little, but I thought it was more important to get as much off than to keep the surface nice-looking, which is going to be covered up by sticking gosh-darn gasket.

OK! Here goes another window!!

P.S. I haven't gotten my issue of Airstream Life yet...but I'm bragging about it to my friends!
Attached Images

ingrid
Old 11-12-2005, 03:26 PM   #96
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Ingrid,

I have no doubt that the Dremel tool did a fine job. But was it not a bit time-intensive?

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 03:41 PM   #97
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Never fear!

I already made the mistake of cutting the gasket on attempt #1. This is attempt #4 on this particular window. Cutting the gasket was the reason we removed the first attempt. Second; put the wrong surface against the trailer. Third; same as #2. It does sound like I did it right however. I didn't stretch the gasket in any way, I carefully and calmly laid it down flat on the glued surface. It does sort of stick up at that weird angle but the one window I closed on the gasket has a seal that I can see!! I just keep remembering the nice, flat 40- year old (useless) gasket that I removed. Makes it hard to put on new and be confident.

I did that screwdriver thing too...I must be on the right track. As far as the clean surface; I removed gasket all the way down to the shine, even if it meant damaging the aluminum a bit, on the surface the gasket would attach to. I figure no one will see it anyway and I ain't removing any more gasket if I can avoid it.
Okay, so I DIDN"T read your post right. And from the other subsequent posts it appears the new gasket is expected to behave as you described, more-or-less.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:43 PM   #98
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
TomW;

It was the only thing that got off the sticky new-ish adhesive; I couldn't find any acetone. How does that work, better? The Dremel prevented me from having to use up my elbow grease. The gasket itself came off easily, both old and new, and the old crumbly adhesive came off pretty quickly with the first dremel bit I showed.

Terry; thanks...I sure hope it behaves...

ingrid
Old 11-12-2005, 04:33 PM   #99
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Ingrid,

I am truly sorry that you are having so much trouble with the window gaskets. I wish we were not half a continent from each other as my wife can bake and I have plenty of 67 advice. You could remove gaskets and I would put them in. Maybe we could start a side business.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 04:37 PM   #100
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Thanks so much that is sweet :-)

My gasket is now behaving and I'm on to installing the new window!

Live and learn! My iPod is sure getting a workout.

Where do I get Silastic 732 sealant for putting in the new window, any idea?

ingrid