Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1959-69 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2004, 01:32 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Owner's Manual

I'm looking for a manual for a 1961 Trade Wind. I just called and found out that I can get one as early as 1964. There's lots I need (want) to know. I'm still sifting through the junk and mouse nests (yes with facemask, gloves and goggles) of my "new" TW and haven't found an Owner's Manual yet, and probably won't. Can someone tell me if they are similar enough to make that manual worthwhile to me?

Thanks,

Steve
Captmorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 02:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Steve

Welcome to the forum - there were now owners manuels back then - just some handouts. I would think a 64 manuel would get you through most systems.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 03:17 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Owner's Manual

Greetings Steve!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captmorg
I'm looking for a manual for a 1961 Trade Wind. I just called and found out that I can get one as early as 1964. There's lots I need (want) to know. I'm still sifting through the junk and mouse nests (yes with facemask, gloves and goggles) of my "new" TW and haven't found an Owner's Manual yet, and probably won't. Can someone tell me if they are similar enough to make that manual worthwhile to me?

Thanks,

Steve
The '64 Owners' Manual may be of help with your '61 coach, but there will be at least two major differences. The fresh water system and 12-volt electical systems will be quite different. The first year for the Univolt electrical system and Demand water system was '64 so these will be quite different from your coach's original layout. Your '61 would have originally been equipped with a "pressure-type" water system that had a galvanized water tank with a pressure pump (rather than the "plastic" water tank with demand pump found beginning in '64) and the filler will be quite different as well. The 12-volt electrical system would have had a small-narrow battery (farm implement rather than RV/Marine Deep Cycle) mounted in a box below the front window - - recharging would have been supplied by the tow vehicle as there was no on-board charger or converter - - each of your light fixtures will be "dual-purpose" with both 120-Volt AC lights as well as 12-Volt DC lights (the '64 fixtures were all 12-volt lighting in the coach's interior).

Beyond the two major differences noted above, the '61 is quite similar in other regards to the '64.

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 06:37 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Thanks Kevin and Ken....

Would you recommend changing the water system to the demand type? How about the electical system?

Got another question off topic but,.....all that rodent nesting material...I found chewed up oven mitts...T Paper..etc, etc....what is my insulation material?...could some of it have been....turned into nests?

I appreciate the warm welcomes I've gotten and look forward to the fun work ahead. I'll post some pictures soon too.

Steve
Captmorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 09:48 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Owner's Manual

Greetings Steve!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captmorg
Thanks Kevin and Ken....

Would you recommend changing the water system to the demand type? How about the electical system?

Got another question off topic but,.....all that rodent nesting material...I found chewed up oven mitts...T Paper..etc, etc....what is my insulation material?...could some of it have been....turned into nests?

I appreciate the warm welcomes I've gotten and look forward to the fun work ahead. I'll post some pictures soon too.

Steve
There is only one reason that I would suggest considering such a change, and that is if your galvanized water tank is beginning to show evidence of developing pin-hole leaks. From what I have been able to learn, the formation of pin-holes is what kills most of these tanks and I know of several owners of '61 model coaches that have had to convert to demand systems when the galvanized tank failed - - they are not easily repaired, and are very difficult to find in the replacement market (new replacements are available, but the problem is in locating one that will fit in the available face - - unlike the plastic tanks, custom sizes are not readily available in the galvanized "pressue tanks"). The biggest down-side to making the change is that the external fill often requires some type of modification and is typically the only readily identifiable evidence that the conversion has been made.

The electrical system will likely be much more useful to you with the addition of a power converter and a modern RV battery - - assuming that you don't plan to be in a full-service campground all of the time - - I caravan and attend numerous rallys so I find the versatility of being able to have ample battery reserve to be quite a benefit. A GlassMat or Gel Cell battery will require fewer modifications for venting than a common lead/acid battery - - I have three gel cell batteries in my Overlander and have been absolutely thrilled with their durability and long-life (they sit in a storage compartment over the axles near the water tank), but they do require a quality battery charger with adequate controls to prevent over-charging. Most of the modifications necessary to add the battery and power converter can rather easily be hidden so that it will not be an obvious change, but one that will increase the versatility of the coach.

On the 120-volt AC side, you may find the need to upgrade to a more modern breaker box and entrance cable system. The Bargman 30-amp connector used in '61 is virtually unavailable - - both the receptacle found on the side of the coach as well as the end that fits on the extension cord. If your coach has both of these and they are in good condition, be prepared to take good care of them as they are virtually non-replaceable. The '64 had a slightly different arrangement, but due to damage I had mine replaced and upgraded for greater safety - - the photo below shows the updated electric and city water entrances (unfortunately these were done before I became acquainted with my Vintage Friendly Airstream dealer and are typical of the work done by Camping World).

One of the reasons that I had the electric upgraded was that I knew the original Bay Breeze Air Conditioner was nearing the end of its useful life and I would soon need to be upgrading to a new air conditioner and the old breakers in the '64 were becoming troublesome and the electric entrance cable had been identified as a fire and shock hazard.

The insulation material utilized in Airstreams of the period was typically fiberglass batt. There have been a number of reports of the insulation below the floor being filled with rodent nests - - as well as reports of rodent runs having been found within the wall insulation. Generally, fiberglass isn't a first-choice nesting material for rodents, but I have seen eveidence of some fiberglass fibers in some of the nests that I have evicted from rental properties that I have cleaned.

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote