Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2015, 06:25 PM   #1
OKC
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Our '67 Silver Bullet

My wife and I just purchased a 67 Tradewind. We gutted the interior this past weekend and will hopefully remove the banana peels this next week.
I'm wanting to redo the entire electrical and plumbing systems. Has someone made a detailed elec diagram with modern amenities (battery, sewer, lighting dimmers, solar panels, satellite, etc.) OR is there wiring harness from a new trailer that I could retrofit?
I'm worried that I'll forget something or not get the right contractor to help me.

Thank you for all your input/advise!
OKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:33 PM   #2
The original Snailer

1966 24' Tradewind
Granville Centre , Nova Scotia
congrats on the 67 Tradewind or Safari? noticed near your avatar it says 67 safari. I would think the wiring will depend on how your fitting out the interior. Shouldn't be too bad if your gutted now, as long as you know whats going where. I have a 66 but mostly original inside so I will only gut the bathroom in mine.
Snailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:15 AM   #3
OKC
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
I've started an online photo gallery of our renovation.
Check it out and let me know what you think.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=c8d5e1099a
Old 09-25-2015, 05:01 AM   #4
The original Snailer

1966 24' Tradewind
Granville Centre , Nova Scotia
Looks like a fun project, Your old interior was pretty close to my 66, did you save any of the original to sell, lots of guys need parts, All helps to pay for the new stuff
Snailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:00 PM   #5
OKC
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Yes, we saved most of the cabinet doors, appliances and some fixtures. If anyone is looking for parts, let me know.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello OKC. Welcome to Air Forums and the vintage Airstream hobby. There is a wealth of information from participants in these forums. It has been an immense help to me.

I have a 66 Trade Wind where I replaced a rotted bathroom floor, rebuilt the bath, installed waste water tanks, replumbed the entire trailer, and installed new converter and fuse panel. I did not rewire the entire trailer, but I did install a new circuit for the microwave or electric heater. And I wired in a See Level monitor for the waste water tanks. And then axles, belly pan, appliances, flooring, etc, etc. Did I mention replumbing the propane system? Way too much money!

Our trailers have aluminum 115 v wiring which is prone to corrosion problems. If you can, you are wise to rewire your trailer. I did not pull the interior apart. Except for the bath, mine is still original.

Does your trailer have one axle or two? Trade Winds are 24 footers with dual axles. The Safari is a single axle trailer. But both trailers are built very much alike. The owners manual is the same for both trailers.

Here is the owner's manual wiring and plumbing diagrams. I post them as they may help you get started. The key thing is to draw your trailer layout the way you want it. Do the electrical 12v diagram, and then the 115 v diagram. The 115 v circuits are mainly outlets except for the air conditioner. But you have to have an outlet by the fridge. My trailer only has 30 amps available, so you are not going to have gobs of power. Airstreams are designed to run from a 12v battery. Airstream rather invented the "univolt" system so all lights, pump, furnace, water heater, fridge, fans, etc run on 12v. Works good. You can boondock with all the comforts you might expect, e.g. water pressure, heat, light, stove, and a potty.

So spend a few hours and design what you want to do, and then route the wiring, fresh water and drain water plumbing accordingly. You will discover many constraints and limitations. I like to say there are tents, then teardrops, then pop ups, and then travel trailers, and then million dollar motorhomes. An Airstream is better than a tent, but it ain't a luxury motor home. I am impressed with how well Airstream designs their interiors and support systems. My bathroom is not near as clever as their bathroom.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1404 Trailer Wiring Diagram.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	248949   Click image for larger version

Name:	1404 Univolt Wiring Diagram.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	248950  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 4 Water System.pdf (964.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: pdf 5 Drain and Vent Piping.pdf (758.4 KB, 31 views)
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote