Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2014, 12:44 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Brooklyn , New York
bump...

Can anyone help answer the questions above?
1) what type/where to buy a complete trailer lighting/brake set for the signal lights, brakes lights, brakes etc.
2) front and back dual glaze window replacement
3) door problems - have a 1/4 inch gap all around.

Thanks very much guys.
Trady66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Vintage Trailer Supply may have the tail lights, check with them.
Exterior Lights

Not sure what you mean about dual glaze window? The only thing that will fit factory frame is single pane (1/8 in thick) glass. You can get regular or tempered flat glass from any good glass shop. I don't remember the exact measurments so check carefully as there is not a lot of "wiggle" room. Tip, before you leave the glass shop, measure the glass. My wife broke my rear window (long story) and I got a replacement. After several hours of work cleaning the old sealant and fitting the new pane, I went out to put the glass back into the frame on the trailer and found they had cut the glass 1/2 too long. That was just enough extra that it would not fit properly and I had to re do the rear window for the 3rd time. I used regular glass on the rear. There are pros and cons of regular vs tempered and I went with regular. VTS has the curved side windows if you need those.

The door on my 68 sits a little "proud" around the top but with a new gasket it doesn't leak and I just don't worry about it. Yours looks a little more serious. If you search the old forums there are threads on how to bend the door back into shape. They say it has some risk as the frame is cast aluminum and you can crack it. Maybe one of the resortation "pros" will have tips for you.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:15 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Congrats!

Congrats on your new Tradewind, awesome year and floorplan.....but Im a little biased too!

Look forward to more pics of your renovations! I washed mine today.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:41 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I have never seen a precut wiring harness for Airstream exterior lights and brakes. I have done considerable work on the "basement" of my 66 Trade Wind including bath floor replacement, frame POR 15, new waste tanks, new insulation, new belly pan, new axles, new propane lines and more.

I installed a new "7 pin" connector for my trailer. The wiring junction point is under the floor along the curb side frame rail in the front of the trailer. There is an access panel in the belly pan to this junction point. The bundle of 12 v wires run inside the frame C channel all the way to the rear of the trailer. The wires branch out from this bundle. Let me see if I remember all the wire functions: ground, battery charge, brakes, running lights, tail lights, left turn, right turn, brake light, back up lights.

I did not replace this wire bundle as mine all worked. It would be a son of a gun to replace it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

The picture is my junction point in the frame rail. The blue tape are labels I put on the wires to hopefully help someone in the future.

Exterior replacement lights are readily available. Vintage Trailer and Inland RV come to mind. I replaced all of mine with LED type which are considerable brighter.

My door also sticks out from the rest of the skins. My hinge pin and bushings are quite loose which contributes to the miss alignment. Some Airstream dealers are quite good at fixing sprung doors. I have not worked on mine yet, a project for another day. But these Air Forums have quite good information on what some folks have done to re-set their doors.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1406 Electrical Connection in Frame.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	301.8 KB
ID:	214879  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:37 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Trady66

The windows are all single pane. No such thing as an insulated glass window for a 66. Hopefully your frames and hardware are fine and all you need to replace is the window glass. The original pot metal cast "arms" usually break but replacements are available from VTS.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:41 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Brooklyn , New York
Great. Thanks for the advice guys.

I tracked the fault in the trailer lights to the hitch hook-up so am replacing that and putting in a new junction box to clean-up the wiring.

The door is another issue! Can't find any thread with a similar problem. The window hinge on the front and back windows is missing, so if anyone has any solves, all ears!

Getting the wiring and panels back on over next few weeks. Starting to re-build finally. One question, I think I am going to need to replace the axles, can I do this at anypoint. I don't see any disadvantage to doing so?
Old 07-02-2014, 09:08 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I replaced the axles on my 66 Trade Wind. Colin Hyde treated me very well with this big purchase. The axles are like the first parts to come off and the last part to go on. My trailer was on jack stands all winter and spring. You will have to drill new bolt holes and grind the slot deeper for the new axles. I made a template after careful measuring so I could more quickly mark where to drill and grind. It is critical the axle mounting brackets rest firmly against the trailer frame rails. That's what carries the load. The bolts just hold the axle up.

I can't help you with the window hinge. I think the hinge bar is available, but it is firmly attached to the glass. Silver Trailer Supply in Salt Lake has used parts available and maybe can help with a replacement.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1406 Axle Template.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	215433  
Old 07-02-2014, 04:58 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
please excuse the hijack . . . when you say, "It is critical the axle mounting brackets rest firmly against the trailer frame rails" do you mean the approximately 2" wide, sort of upside-down "U" shaped bent metal "bracket" . . . that the bottom of that "U" (or the top of the upside-down "U") is tight against the Frame?

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:40 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Lucky for me the axles really only go one way, otherwise I'd have them upside down! The axles carry the weight of the trailer. The angle bracket welded to the axle rests on the frame rails. I think the attached photo will help you visualize how the axles are mounted to my Trade Wind. The Running Gear / Axles forum is very informative on mounting new axles. I read a bunch of good info there.

Trady66 was asking when to plan on installing new axles. I mounted the axles after I had the floor rot fixed, the frame cleaned and painted, the under floor insulated, the waste water tanks mounted and plumbed, the furnace ducts ran, and the new belly pan riveted in place. The new axles were nearly the last job on my Trade Wind renovation project. If a person is doing the "full monte" body off renovation, then the axles are mounted likely before the body is married again to the frame.

Hope this helps a bit.

David
Old 07-02-2014, 07:48 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I had to notch the plate as well, now trailer(65 overlander) sits too low! I was pissed about that , but have since calmed down. The fix is 1 1/2 square tube to space axle and frame then weld extension plates to existing frame plates to bolt axles on. This is a complete PITA considering I don't weld! Not to mention the additional $500!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:29 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Lucky for me the axles really only go one way, otherwise I'd have them upside down! The axles carry the weight of the trailer. The angle bracket welded to the axle rests on the frame rails. I think the attached photo will help you visualize how the axles are mounted to my Trade Wind.
David
David, photo didn't "come thru" . . . so I'm converting my Leaf Sprung trailer to a Torsion Axle. And if I fabricate the mounting plate as directed and have it welded onto the face of the Frame, the 2" wide, upside down "U" shaped "bracket" will not be against the Frame - they will be an inch or some fraction of an inch away from each other . . . and it sounded like in your post, that they need to be bearing on each other. In my case the Bolts would be "in shear" and would be taking the entire load . . . which doesn't feel quite right.

Thanks for your help.

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:12 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Here is the photo I meant to attach to my post above. I must have messed up somehow.

Interesting comment about your trailer now sitting too low after the axle insulation. I think mine is lower too, but I did not take before and after measurements to verify.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1406 Axle Rear Mounted.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	215527  
Old 07-03-2014, 11:57 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Brooklyn , New York
Thanks guys. That helps alot. Sounds like it can wait, and my brain can start to try and tackle that problem at the end. Way to many things already to think about, but will re-read when I get to that stage, hopefully in a few months!
Old 08-02-2014, 01:31 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Brooklyn , New York
Hi Guys,
Been rewiring the trailer working lights. Having a problem. The rear lights are working when I put the 4-ways on, but they are quite dim. I then put the ground into the fuse box at the back, and then the left signal becomes really bright but the right one does not work at all. Not really sure where the ground should be attached to etc, think this might be the problem? Anyway had similar problems? Thanks guys.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:23 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Brooklyn , New York
Ok little further info. Been messing around all afternoon. I have got all the running lights working apart from the back right signal. I hooked up the right signal to the left signal wire to check it isn't a grounding problem and it worked fine. I also did a continuity test on the right signal wire from connector to the wire connection at the rear, and all is good. Really have no idea now, what could be the issue? Any ideas?
Old 08-02-2014, 06:51 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi Trady66. One more test you might try on that right turn signal. You verified the colored wire has continuity, should be very low resistance, like less than 2 ohms. Now switch your multi meter to 12 volts and verify you have something like 12.5 volts delivered to the bottom of the bulb bayonet socket. You demonstrated the left is an energized wire and will blink the right side bulb. Verify the right side wire is also energized. If not, verify your tow vehicle is delivering 12 volts to the wire at the pin connector. After that, I'm lost!

I assume your tail light and brake light work on the right side. I think there are three colored wires coming to this two blub rear light fixture; tail light, brake light, and turn signal. The exterior skin is the ground that completes the circuit. Crummy grounds are a source of all kinds of problems with automotive 12v circuits.

An old, wise man told me the resistance from the body of the Airstream to the ground connection (rear curb side frame rail) ought to be less than 50 ohms. I had to file and wire brush both the white ground wires (2) and the frame member to get a good ground. Mine now measures less than 2 ohms no mater where on the exterior skin I test a ground.

I puttered with my 66 today also. I removed the stove hood vent and fan, cleaned it up, and repainted it. The PO had applied stickers to the front of it which took the paint when I removed them. It looked bad, but better now.

I also tested the AC for the first time. It worked beautifully! Yeah! Clap, clap, clap! It was blowing out 50 degree air on a 85 degree day. I could hang a half a beef in there and it would keep! It seemed to work better than my new AC on the 86 Limited.

David
Old 08-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Brooklyn , New York
Hi David,
Thanks for the reply as always. That is a good idea to verify the right wire with the left signal. I will try that.

Also, interested in your two ground wires. Right now, my ground wire runs all the way from the trailer connector to the rear of the connector where it is connected to the inside of the rear compartment, on the aluminium. This might have been my mistake. I haven't got two ground connector wires. Could you help explain that a little and where they are connected to and spliced etc? Thanks a ton. Thins one is driving me crazy....
Old 08-03-2014, 05:41 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I don't have a good picture of the 12v ground "bolt" that was located at the rear curb side frame. It is an "elevator" bolt through the wire eyelet connectors, through the C channel, and through the upper lip of the frame rail. There were two white ground wires attached. One was from the 12v tow vehicle ground wire, and one was from the 12v converter. There is a ground "buss" in the fuse panel that has several white wire grounds attached. But the "buss" is ultimately grounded to the frame. This bolt can get corroded and loose which diminishes the ground conductivity.

Here is a picture of the Airstream 12 volt circuit diagram. 12 volts run all the lights, the fan motors. and the water pump. The tow vehicle runs the external lights and brakes.

I also included a picture of my fuse panel before I replaced it. See all the white wires going to the "ground buss". The top white wire leaves the fuse panel and goes to the frame connection. I had excessive 12 voltage ripple causing my new See Level water tank level indicators to be erratic. This is the reason I installed a new 12v converter and fuse panel.

Trying to be a little help in your right side turn signal malfunction...

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1404 DC Wiring Diagram.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	218117   Click image for larger version

Name:	1311 12v Fuse Panel.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	333.9 KB
ID:	218119  

Old 08-03-2014, 08:09 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Knowledge is power! I thought I would post pictures of the 7 pin connector wiring diagram from my owner's manual. The wire colors are Airstream specific in 1966. They do NOT match modern wire color standards that you find posted on the Internet for 7 pin trailer connectors. Having this wiring diagram was invaluable to me as I replaced my old, brittle, worn out 7 pin connector on my 66 Trade Wind.

I also included a wiring diagram of the interior of the trailer. There are three 12 volt circuits going here and there. And there are two 115 volt circuits running the outlets. Also a third exclusive circuit for "future" air conditioners. The 115v circuits are shown in red.

The wiring diagram does not show the 12 volt ground. But follow the wire from the negative post of your battery through the fuse panel and you will find it behind the curb side interior skin over the frame rail.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1404 Exterior Lights Diagram.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	218122   Click image for larger version

Name:	1404 Trailer Wiring Diagram.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	218123  

Old 08-04-2014, 08:44 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

Brooklyn , New York
Thanks so much David for all the info. Followed your advice. I think I have figured out the problem. I hooked a ground wire directly from the pin on the tow vehicle to the rear ground point. Then I took another wire and tested the left and right signal directly hooked to the tow vehicle hitch, and the signals would light when I touched the left pin, but not the right. So the problem is that the right signal on the tow vehicle is not outputting enough voltage. After all that, all was ok in the airstream! Just need to get tow vehicle fixed and completely make sure. I think what happened is a had a LED Tester Connector on the tow vehicle and it would light the right signal on the tester, but that is just one LED, and so when you take it to a full bulb it is not enough voltage.

Tags