Old 10-05-2017, 07:32 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Elizabethton , Tennessee
New here: just bought a 1967 Tradewind

Hiya - We're very new to Airstreams and this forum and even RVing. So maybe we bit off more than we can chew when we bought a 1967 Tradewind recently. It has all original interior except for 1990's carpet and tile which we've already ripped out. We might eliminate the gaucho since the extra large water tank prevents it from laying flat anymore. The original (dark) woodwork is in great shape for the most part. It could be cherry or mahogany, not sure.

We have land with a nice view so we were intending to fix it up and bit and then park it to take advantage of the view and rent it on glamping hub and/or airbnb. My question is do you think we should keep as much of the antique fixtures and fittings as possible, or should we go for a more modern interior? Not sure which approach most people would find appealing in a rental. Of course we'd like to travel in it too, eventually, but at this point we're not sure what condition the frame is in. The original owner was OCD and he took really good care of it. We have two sets of original keys and the owners manual. It even still has the two sink covers with matching laminate.

Hubby only found two tiny spots of floor rot on either side of the door. He applied wood hardener to them since they are minor. There are no signs of rot in the bathroom but all of the original fixtures are in place. There is such a bizarre accordion fold shower "curtain" like I've never seen before that hooks and snaps to the tub. But you'd have to be very short for it to actually contain all of the splash coming from a normal shower.

We are in East TN and an RV repair dude is coming out today to take a look at it. I think we still have the original furnace and I'd feel better about replacing stuff like that. Also, a newer one might not take up SO much room in our tiny kitchen.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. Just wanted to introduce ourselves and get our feet wet on this forum.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Welcome to the forums. We' ve found the folks here very helpful and experienced.
Aluminumium had the best solution for the shower curtain. You'll have to search around for it, though. I can't do a link when I'm away from the computer. We recently finished a 1968 Overlander and you can see what we did with the shower. Search on "shiny reveal 68 Overlander." I think you'll find it. My opinion is, you'll want everything working correctly and as easily as possible if you're going to do the air bnb approach.
Good luck and enjoy,
Roy and Marie

Old 10-05-2017, 08:11 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Keeping it original retains highest value. I chose to keep some original trim, but reconfigured for function, including a grey water tank. See my thread if interested. From Chattanooga.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
My guess is that people who don't already own an Airstream aren't going to know the difference between genuine original interior, something that is more modern, or something that has been redone, but still has "vintage" look and feel, so it is up to you--it is your trailer.

Any renter (and you too, as a user), is going to want reliable components and appliances as part of their "vintage" experience, and they/you will probably want modern conveniences as well. A 50 year old furnace is likely to spew carbon monoxide, and it is hard to get positive feedback from customers that wake up dead. So your first objective may be to ensure appliances work, then to ensure they are safe and have modern fail-safe features. You will want to install gas and CO detectors.

When you have guests, do you intend to accompany them out to the trailer and get everything working for them, or do you want it to be easy enough that they can follow a checklist to get things going. The latter may dictate installation of more sophisticated appliances as well.

Good luck!
Old 10-05-2017, 08:55 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Elizabethton , Tennessee
Thanks 64airstream, I see your very cool shower curtain rod. Maybe we'll keep our accordion pleated "wall" as a curiosity but will have to add something more functional for sure.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:04 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Elizabethton , Tennessee
@Chatthayer - love the dinette/bed you put in. We'd like to do the same thing. Did you make it yourself? Does that make into a queen size bed? We've also got the two twin beds configuration like you do.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:06 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Elizabethton , Tennessee
@belegedhel - Yes, the same thoughts have been occurring to us. Since we barely know how to operate the components ourselves yet we will either have to have extensive cheat sheets laying around, and/or, have a training session.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:09 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Chattanooga , Tennessee
I did all the modifications. Read the whole thread for more info, and then ask me more questions. Happy to help.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:10 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Blairstown , New Jersey
Welcome to the Forums. We have a '67 Trade Wind as well, currently undergoing a renovation. Our trailer didn't have the pleated shower enclosure when we bought it, so something will need to be done.

Here's the thread about Aluminuminum's shower rod:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...on-147648.html

You definitely want to take a look at your original furnace. There was a recall years ago due to some CO problems.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:35 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
I have a 67 TW as well

and have been renovating for years.....
Old 10-05-2017, 11:59 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Welcome to the insanity Pythonesk. Glad to have you with us. So glad that you found a good one. That is always my recommendation to anybody looking for a vintage Airstream- buy the best one you can find.

The 67 Airstream is one of the best trailers that Airstream has ever designed and built. However I am a bit biased since we have a 66 Tradewind.

My advice is to do whatever you want. I am renovating ours to make it the best Airstream for us. Wally always said to make improvements not changes. I am trying to do this to ours also. See Dan's 66 Tradewind Improvements if you like in the trailer section. Currently I have replaced the entire back half of the belly pan, installed new axles and next I will be installing disc brakes.

Dan
Old 10-05-2017, 12:45 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Blairstown , New Jersey
Here's a good link about the original Suburban furnaces.

http://www.knology.net/~tcwilliams/Furnace.htm
Old 10-05-2017, 01:05 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
When I first acquired my '67 Caravel, I had the same internal arguments/questions as the PO...restore or renovate. I started to type a long email about how I made mine the way I wanted it...luxury trumped weight. But, I realized this is not about me, but you and your trailer. If I was to rent such a space, I would appreciated freshly painted walls, and high-end surfaces and appliances/fixtures. Good lighting with lot's of ways to set the mood would be important to me as well. A very nice bathroom would be the most important to me and my wife.

I guess what I am saying is, based on your intended use, I would choose to do a resto-mod. I believe a Tradewind is a 24' trailer. If so, you have room to spare when it comes to weight and don't have to be too concerned about it.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:32 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Colorado: I recently sold my 66 Trade Wind after extensive renovation work. I am not a restorationists, but many folks are. My goal was to make it a modern, comfortable "travel ready" 50 year old trailer we could take anywhere and enjoy the usual comforts. I spent about 1200 hours and many, many dollars on the thing. It met my expectations when done.

It would be hard for me to rent out my Trade Wind to folks I don't know. It takes some time to understand how things work. Gee, just explaining to someone how precious those windows are, and how goofy they open and close would make me nervous. The same thing with the door lockset, or limited wastewater capacity, or starting the furnace. There are outfits that rent new Airstreams and seem to get along okay. I think renting a camper is a whole lot different than a bed and breakfast place.

You will have to post a picture of your Trade Wind.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1708 Sale Front Shade (Small).JPG
Views:	20
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	296331  

Tags