Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1959-69 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2016, 03:24 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
My new to me 1965 24' Airstream Tradewind

All,

Just bought a 1965 24' Tradewind. Nice dent free exterior and original solid floors. Axles are in great shape too. All windows work well as well as the vents.

The stove has been removed as well as some of the cabinet doors - bathroom was removed and tub left in place.

All electrical working and what really shocked me was that the original fiberglass astrodome is in great condition! i've never seen a pre-1968 original astrodome in great condition - they are always cracked/badly bruised or missing or replaced.

I've had lots of old Airstreams but none in such nice original condition
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	262.7 KB
ID:	272276   Click image for larger version

Name:	astrodome1.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	279.2 KB
ID:	272277  

Old 09-24-2016, 05:00 PM   #2

Currently Looking...
Fountain Hills , Arizona
Very nice. Congrats on the find. Now the fun begins.
Ottosils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Congrats on your new Tradewind. They are the perfect size. Great that you found one that has been so well cared for.
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:48 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
thank you! it really is fun working on these trailers when the floors and exterior/axles are in good condition.

i sold my 2 1959 airstream's a couple of years ago because they required floors/axles and i just didn't want to put the time/effort into a proper shell-off repair. both trailers went to good homes with diligent owners who wanted to restore properly.

this 24' tradewind is going to be fun. the zoltone interior walls are in excellent clean condition. my other trailers had stained or painted walls. and the original floors are really solid - the previous owner carefully removed the old linoleum and the original plywood has been primed.

i have some wiring to figure out (exterior trailer lights) and have to re-do the rear bathroom as it was removed except for the tub. i will redo plumping in pex pipe and need to run new propane lines.

previous owner removed the stove so i'm debating whether to just install propane cook top as replacement. the kitchen counter formica is in pretty good condition with a couple of rust stains. the goucho cushions and sleeper cushions all removed. new foam and covers will be a nice addition.

i'll have to replace some of the cabinet doors that the previous owner removed and misplaced. fortunately my good friend is a shipwright and can build them for me.

and lastly, i have some exterior polishing to do - the plasticoat finish has stripped off in areas - i'll need some assistance on this and will post a question in the exterior refinishing forum. i've never polished an airstream - i like the dull look so hoping i can get the exterior areas looking ok with having to have the gloss shine.

more photos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	272308   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	272309  

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	283.5 KB
ID:	272310  
Old 09-25-2016, 12:49 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Very nice looking trailer. The reefer looks just like the orig. one in my '67 Over-lander. If it is an original, I wonder if the door seal in intact. My door seal split some 15 years ago and after patching with silicone and tape and calling literally all over the world for a new seal (yes I called Dometic in Sweden) with no luck, I happened upon one for a larger reefer in a yard sale at an international WBCCI rally.

The magnetic strip had no attraction in it so I cut and mitered the larger seal, inserted my old magnetic strips and glued the two cut corners with silicone. Five years now and it is still holding up. If you happen to know where to find those 3/8" thick door seals please share it with me in case mine breaks again. I continue to be amazed that this 50 year old reefer still works.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:09 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
will do - here a better photo of the interior of fridge
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	refer-close up.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	272333  
Old 09-25-2016, 03:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Wow!

Your Tradewind looks amazing! Nice find, looks like you found a good one. Enjoy.
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 05:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
It is much better than my 66 Trade Wind was when I bought it. I wonder if yours is the "International" trim level. The cabinetry looks mighty fine.

I think you will find that nice dull aluminum finish by simply stripping all the clear coat off. Maybe the door and rear end cap has been stripped of old clearcoat. Your trailer is made from 2024 "aircraft" aluminum that has good corrosion resistance. And Airstream used a pretty good grade of finish on the exterior side of that aluminum. You might recall the famous Airstream ad where the lady is applying lipstick using her new Airstream for reflection. So try a good job of stripping the clear coat and see what you think. It will turn pretty dull gray with time, think fifties trailers.

I replumbed my trailer using PEX and cinch clamps. Much better method than sweating copper tube and much less chance of leaks.

I elected to install a three burner cooktop under the existing cover. And then I installed a conventional/microwave oven under that. These appliances fit in the existing cabinet. I did run a dedicated 115v circuit for the microwave. My trailer is not restored to origional condition, but renovated with more

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:40 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovzilla View Post
will do - here a better photo of the interior of fridge
My freezer compartment is slightly wider and not as tall but otherwise looks the same. Hard to tell about the door seal, but looks like mine. The basic difference between these seals and newer ones is they are 3/8" thick instead of 3/4 and seem more fragile. I would advise keeping it and the face of the box carefully clean and wiped with silicone lubricant so it can't stick and tear if something spills inside.

I remain amazed mine still works after 50 years. My uncle before me and I have always been meticulous about not letting the fridge run more that 15 or 20 minutes out of level. We also clean the flue pipe at least twice each season.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags