Old 07-12-2010, 10:23 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Sedgwick , Maine
Mistreated '61

Hello,
We just bought a 61 Tradewind to live in over the summer (and then some!) and didnt quite have the time to make sure all systems were functional (loved it at first sight)l...wow, how wierd can renovations be? It seems the prior owners have taken out the water heater, water tank, plumbing to the back, covered over DC electrical outlets....basically gutted it and floored and painted over the whole thing to make it pretty. It is nice, but it seems we may need to rip it all apart to even get it close to functional.

First off we are looking to make sure the electrical is all cool. We will take our multi-meter to it today and check the continuity on all the outlets (AC and DC). I understand there was no schematic (sp?) for the 61, but if anyone has a rough draw of what the original electrical looked like, my husband would be delighted.

Then we will see what we can figure out for the water system. We will be landed for the summer so we can go without the inside bathroom for now, but does anyone know if there are fresh and waste water tanks that can be found for our new home?

And in case we are lucky enough to enjoy our new palace enough to weather the winter in her, and because there is no heater installed (she came with a "glo warm" un-installed) does anyone have advise as to what heater might do well. Im feeling like vented propane or electric are really the only sane options....although sanity doesnt always come into play, in our household.

Anyway, we are totally happy beginning this journey, and will post pictures as we advance.

Any help, of course, will be totally appriciated.

Cheers to our Tradewind brethren!

And thanks,
Hannah and Dana

shiney61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Why don't you check the Inspectors List on this Forum and see if there is someone in the area that will come out and walk you through the systems. That will be much faster than attempting to describe thing here.

Look just below the Facebook pictures on the right side of the Portal page from a route to the list

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
The Grass Capital of the World , Oregon
plumbing gets creative

Congrats you two!

I'm in the process of restoring a 59 Tradewind, so we may have floor-plan similarities.

First plumbing questions I asked myself were:

-how much water am I going to need to successfully boondock?
-how frequently am I going to be traveling with full water tanks?
-how much weight will my single leaf-spring axle handle?
-how can I properly distribute the weight?

I plan to boondock, and I'm used to backpacking, so I'm creative with water conservation. I decided 30 gallons of fresh water would easily last us (a couple) a week maybe more. I bought a 13"x13"x48" rectangle from Water Tanks, Plastic Tanks, RV Tanks, Custom Plastic Tanks for the fresh water tank and I'll put it under the front window. So I upgraded in capacity from the original 20-gallon stainless steel water tank, but only a small increase in net weight considering new tank is plastic.

The black water tank was a little trickier - I have no grey water tank yet. If your bathroom is like mine (shower to one side, toilet to the other, counter and sink between them under the window) then I found a very creative solution for the black water tank. I will install it soon, and I'll post photos then. So crazy it just might work! Going to drop it through the floor under toilet. Ronco 16 Gallon Marine Holding Tank* - No fitting supplied (RH-B364)

Grey water is a little trickier, but you are stepping into the game at a great time, as vintagetrailersupply.com just started manufacturing a grey water tank that will fit between the aluminum belly pan and the steel crossbeams underneath the subfloor. Location could be directly under your bathroom counter, if you have a set-up like mine. Gray Water Tank

My tanks averaged $200 including shipping. I think I'd advise using 3/8" PEX pipe for plumbing based on what I've read on some threads by the Boondocker (his 1/2" PEX pipe creates a lot of water flow - not the best for boondocking) but if you are planning to full-time it, maybe you'll have city water hookups and you'll appreciate the larger volume of flow.

Although there are certainly "no-no's" that you can learn here on these forums, I don't think there are any "right" answers. You just need to figure out what your needs are, create your system based on that, and you're golden!

No hot water heater for me yet, but I plan on a 6-gallon propane-heater that I will place under the kitchen sink.

Post photos!!
SpaceEgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:41 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
water pump

oh yeah, I picked up a 12v DC water pump at Camping World. Everyone on these forums seems to use the ShurFlo WhisperKing, so I scooped one up too. It cost about $80 and seems simple enough. Haven't installed it yet.....
Old 07-17-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Sedgwick , Maine
Thanks so much for the info. We are moving it tomorrow so wont be improving things again 'til she is landed. The info you sent along will be helpfull as we prepare to move in. It's so cool (and extremeley helpful) to hear what others have done/are doing. Did you replace any of the wiring in your 59. We just finished figuring out the AC and DC and figure that going totally DC is going to work for us. The old AC is...well...old.
Anyway, thanks again. we will get shots of the move and post them soon!
Old 07-17-2010, 11:06 AM   #6
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Yea!!! Another early TradeWind. Glad you joined up.

I had to put in a total 12 volt system as my trailer was considered a park model and was without any 12 volt with the exception of two small ceiling lights that were originally powered through a pigtail to the tow vehicle. I put in a number of 12 volt lights, outlets, a Xantrax 60 amp converter/charger along with a Group 27 deep cycle battery. As for the AC, It all worked so I pulled a new 3 wire feed to the breaker box, installed a new shore power connector (will redo sometime in the future) and added a third wire to the two outlets that needed the ground for the new grounded appliances; new 2 way water heater, newer 3 way Dometic fridge and the Xantrax. All of my electric works great and I am happy with the results after 8 years of use.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:31 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Sedgwick , Maine
Thanks for all the info. Our electric has been all sorted out, we're installing dc fixtures and lights, and have all the ac mapped out and ready if we choose to use it. Still need the battery and to hook on the panels.

Here it is in the Storage Unit next to the 75 504 peugeot that will be taking it to its next home! Im a little shy about it not being shiney at all! But you can see we have our work cut out for us.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	107412

Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	107417

It's way more fun than I would have thought to get this tradewind on the road! Cant wait to call it home.

Cheers

H and D
Old 07-26-2010, 12:28 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
looking good!

wow! your trailer doesn't look mistreated at all - nice find. I think it looks classy all by itself - forget the mirror shine.

As you take things apart you may find that removing one particular item requires you to remove three beforehand. Keep a camera handy during demolition to snapshot how things originally fit together.

Your collective initials, H and D, stand for the place that I've shoveled money into recently - Home Depot. I don't even bring my wallet, I just bring a wheelbarrow of cash and dump it at the door.

Enjoy the ride.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Woohooo! We love Tradewinds! Jealous of your door within a door!