Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
Losing my Mind and Money to a '62 Tradewind

Instead of splattering threads, pictures and questions across the multiverse, I figured it is time to put this frame-off renovation into one long thread.

Fall of '11: Proud owners of a lovely Airstream

Later in Fall of '11:

Winter of '11: Reality Sets In

Fall through Spring of '11 - '12: Polishing

Spring '12: A Fresh Start

8 months down...how many to go??
[/SIZE][/SIZE]
aluminitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
That's hot. I love, love, love the baby blue.
2005 19' Safari, Toyota Tundra
2 Small and Spoiled Dogs
lcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Looks great! I bet that frame was a lot of work! It sure feels good once it's all reinforced though...
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
OK.

I had your blogspot entry bookmarked. Should I switch it to this thread?

As a fellow new-old Overlander owner, I'm a follower.

John
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
Here is where I need your help if you have ever polished an Airstream.

Here is what I have done so far:
Dewalt Polisher with Jestco's grey abrasive compound bar, then red jeweler's rouge bar. Mineral spirits. Cyclo polisher with Nuvite C, then Nuvite S.

No matter what I do, I can't get that haze to go away. Nuvite S actually seems to make it worse! I used Nuvite C, then S, then wiped it away with a microfiber cloth. Mineral Spirits made it much, much hazier and would not wipe off. What am I doing wrong?

Please help before I lose my Nuvite-soaked mind!
Old 05-08-2012, 07:58 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV View Post
OK.

I had your blogspot entry bookmarked. Should I switch it to this thread?

As a fellow new-old Overlander owner, I'm a follower.

John
This is an abbreviated version of my blogspot posts. Less personal (dog) stuff, more Airstream stuff.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2011 19' Flying Cloud
Chicago , Illinois
Wow that blue + silver is super hot.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Great job. I can't wait to see it as it progresses.
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:32 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
North Charleston , South Carolina
If the haze is caused by mineral spirits, you may not be getting all of the residue off. Soak the rags really well and go over and over and over again with several different rags until the rag stays pretty clean. I take a dry rag and buff it out with an orbital after I've gone over it several times so it shines up.

You did mineral spirits it really good between gray and red???

I have a couple of spots where there is a haze that looks embedded in the aluminum. I'm still trying to figure out how to get those out. I've read nuvite g-6 or gray bar but I know gray bar or white or pink doesn't work. I've also read acid washing the areas. Ugh.

Just a sidenote - in the video the pretty lady with the polisher went for the Lava soap. As a pretty lady with a polisher myself, I'd recommend Dawn dish detergent. It cuts right through the icky stuff and with a good leave in conditioner, you can use it on your hair too.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
If the haze is caused by mineral spirits, you may not be getting all of the residue off. Soak the rags really well and go over and over and over again with several different rags until the rag stays pretty clean. I take a dry rag and buff it out with an orbital after I've gone over it several times so it shines up.

You did mineral spirits it really good between gray and red???

I have a couple of spots where there is a haze that looks embedded in the aluminum. I'm still trying to figure out how to get those out. I've read nuvite g-6 or gray bar but I know gray bar or white or pink doesn't work. I've also read acid washing the areas. Ugh.

Just a sidenote - in the video the pretty lady with the polisher went for the Lava soap. As a pretty lady with a polisher myself, I'd recommend Dawn dish detergent. It cuts right through the icky stuff and with a good leave in conditioner, you can use it on your hair too.
Thanks Starscream! Maybe I wasn't being patient enough. As usual. I know exactly what you are talking about..just a few little spots where the haze won't go away...almost like I wore through the allclad. Is such a thing possible? Also, if you are wondering why my hands look super manly as I wash them with Lava, its because I borrowed my hubby's for that shot I will have to give Dawn a try...thanks for the tip!
Old 05-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
CUTE, oh, and the airstream looks good too! You're not the first who couldn't resist the polisher before the frame off. the frame looks great by the way keep it up and you will be camping before you know it.
tim
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:04 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

You might want to try the Jestco Pink bar. It's a combo of the white and Red.
I went from gray to pink then cyclo-S. I found that the grey leaves light scratches that give a hazy look, until I used the pink.
0557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Wow! Beautiful work. I don't think that I got the polishing gene. But I sure do like looking at your shiny trailer. Oh well.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Love the blog, and Otis too! Do you mind sharing what kind of compressor (size) and sprayer you're using? You got a nice finish there.. I really like the teal color! I could imagine a cool '50's Chevy truck pulling that.. (hint hint!).

Again, great job!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
0557: I have the pink bar and that has given me the best results. I have heard about that "Nuvite Shine" and all I have gotten was a big Nuvite Smudge.
TouringDan: I don't think I got the gene either. Maybe some kind soul will offer to finish polishing it at a rally
3Ms75Argosy: The compressor I used is some monster thing that lurks in the corner of the shop. Since my FIL owns the shop, I haven't really paid much attention. The sprayer is also his and is older than dirt. Not sure what it is. I know that was no help. Sorry!
Old 06-14-2012, 10:31 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
As usual, what should have taken one week has taken three. The black and gray tanks finally came in, after our order was screwed up and the manufacturer made them 6 inches too deep. Hubs and I drove about an hour north to find this out, and hour back, and then had to wait an extra week. But at last, they are here! And thanks to my FIL's awesome connections to the underworld of RV manufacturing, they came in at around $100 for both!

They won't hold the Nile, but they will fit in the spaces between the main rails and cross members, while not sticking out below the belly pan.

We got the waterproofed plywood all screwed down and the wheel wells (coated with rubberized sealant) in place.
Note: be sure the old holes in the wheel wells line up perfectly with the old holes in the outriggers, otherwise your rivet holes won't line up and by the time you discover this, it will be much too late because you will have put the shell back on.

The layout of the bathroom has slightly changed and we will be moving the toilet vent to the other side of the bathroom. Thanks to parts already at the shop, here is a rough visual of what will be happening with the bathroom. The door is going to be 18" wide, as shown by the tape measure on the ground. Is this too tight a fit? The bathroom won't exactly be spacious. I mean, this is camping after all. I'm just glad I don't have to grab a shovel and head for the woods! (my main motivation for starting this whole Airstream project in the first place! Hubs wanted a road trip with lots of hiking/backpacking and I said Okay, but I am not living in a tent. There will be a shower and a toilet. The woods do not count.)

The question now is...Do we
1. Use a molded plastic shower pan (like the one pictured, except smaller and white)
2. Hire somebody to make a shower pan out of stainless steel, or
3. Make a tile shower pan (out of penny rounds) like here, except not do it on the walls too.

Do you know anybody who makes custom sized metal shower pans?

Tomorrow (if all goes well) the vinyl floor goes on! Hooray for putting things back together!
Old 06-14-2012, 10:42 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
This is only going on my intuition here, but although that tile looks great (in that link) I would make tile one of my very last choices to use in a travel trailer. The two biggest reasons, in order, are:
1 - everything moves in a travel trailer, if you have ever worked with tile then you know that if things move, seams crack and when one seam cracks it's only a matter of time before the entire thing is a mess. Basically tile needs a solid backing and a trailer bumping down the road is the furthest thing from that.

2- weight.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:47 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
I was thinking those same thoughts. Somebody posted a video from the inside of their trailer and I was shocked at how much things rattled and bumped along. Any suggestions for custom shower pan shops?
Old 06-14-2012, 10:53 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminitus View Post
I was thinking those same thoughts. Somebody posted a video from the inside of their trailer and I was shocked at how much things rattled and bumped along. Any suggestions for custom shower pan shops?
Sure don't. I bet one would be fairly easy to make if you're able to weld stainless.

Did you figure out that haze in your polishing? I'm in the middle of polishing as well and I think it's just corrosion that the nuvite can't get to before breaking down. I started making huge headway when I just ditched the ten passes with a compounder for some 600 grit wet sand paper, then going to 1000 grit wet sand. This takes off all of the corrosion, but doesn't eat past the pure aluminum. It sets up the metal for the compounder and let me tell you, it needs two passes max to get to a mirror (then will need one final with a random). I would never polish a trailer again without sanding first.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:56 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
Ack! I was very close to enrolling in a welding class this past winter, and have been kicking myself ever since for not. It is still on the bucket list, but that doesn't help me now when I need to weld something
Any pictures of your polishing process? I would love to see it!