Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2018, 05:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Kingsville , California
Is this a 1962 Tradewind?

Hello Folks,

New here as I am doing some research on this find. Never even thought of Air streams until I saw her. I was doing a good deed for someone and this came across my path. Been doing some research and the best I could do is 1962 Tradewind double.

The eighty-five old man wants to sell it for it to me for $1000. He wanted to renovate it but time got the better of him. Inside there is no water damage and the wood cabinets could be reclaimed and refinished. It would be a gutter for sure.

My wife and I would like to use it as a cabin/semi-permanent on our property. Perhaps use it for camping but not the main purpose. Concerned about it being too big to haul around to be economical. Minivan would be pulling it.

So one thing that I have not seen (please if you could supply me with the proper terminology) is a double window in the front with the movable glass pane windows, that can open and close. This one has two square windows in the front.

There is a picture of an old sticker that says: Wally Byam Caravan. Was that just a general decal or a specific model? I know I came across the Caravanner.

Something to consider is that when I start renovating this beast and I realize that I want to get rid of it. Is it worth more than $1000 cdn at this point?
Based on demand for these.

Thank you and I await your advice.

Any advice why the pictures flip from the originals that are uploaded? Quick fix?
Aaron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_7386.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	266.9 KB
ID:	323192   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1742.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	363.9 KB
ID:	323193  

Name:	fullsizeoutput_7387.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	347.7 KB
ID:	323199   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_738a.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	362.0 KB
ID:	323200  

Name:	IMG_1756.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	468.3 KB
ID:	323201  
SlocanValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:15 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forums.
It looks like you have a 24', 1962, center double bed model.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:25 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Kingsville , California
This is what the design is this, in fact if it is a 1962 Trade Wind.

Thank you for the diagnosis.

Judging from the wooden shelving remnants is would be the Trade Wind double
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 9.19.53 PM.png
Views:	378
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	323211  
Old 09-20-2018, 08:29 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Kingsville , California
Breaking?

Is there separate breaking for this size air stream?
Old 09-20-2018, 08:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Welcome to AirForums.

Yes there is separate braking. If you are going to be towing this Airstream, I recommend replacing the axle which will provide you with a new suspension and new brakes.

This appears to be a bargain for $1,000.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:39 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Kingsville , California
What can tow this safely?

What common vehicles would be capable of towing this? It would be a minimalist design inside. Would a minivan be pushing it?
Ford Ranger? F150?

The smaller the better when it comes to vehicles.

Thank you
Old 09-20-2018, 08:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia

This is a loaded question on this forum. Most tow with a 1/2 ton truck or an SUV, but some do tow a smaller Airstream such as this with a V6 powered minivan. You would need a weight distribution hitch and possibly some frame reinforcement. If I had a V6 powered minivan I would do my due diligence to try to tow with it.

I agree that smaller is better. I tow our 66 Airstream (double axle) with a Toyota Tundra. I love my Tundra but it is HUGE and I wish I had a smaller TV.

Dan
Old 09-20-2018, 09:07 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Blairstown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlocanValley View Post
So one thing that I have not seen (please if you could supply me with the proper terminology) is a double window in the front with the movable glass pane windows, that can open and close. This one has two square windows in the front.
The windows are called jalousie windows.

I paid $800 US for a 1968 Sovereign a few years ago that had been hit by a tree. The windows and some parts inside were worth more than that. All the wood parts were trash. The Trade Wind you are evaluating looks to have a great skin. $1000 CDN seems a great deal to me.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:19 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Kingsville , California
Jalousie Windows

Is there aftermarket windows that could replace those? Winter sake and all. Well I suppose with a wood heater put in there then maybe the extra ventilation from the Jalousie windows will be welcomed.

Aaron
Old 09-20-2018, 11:48 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
!962 Tradewind

Great Find! Well worth the $1000 cdn for this coach. You can rebuild the Jalousie windows with a little TLC. The panes of glass are single pane standard glass but can easily be upgraded to Heat Tempered Safety glass (reasonably priced) that can be ordered from most auto glass dealers. If you replace with Heat Tempered Safety glass order by using one intact piece from your existing window the same size H x W x Thickness with pencil sanded edges and rounded corners to match the existing panes. You can do this one window at a time if funds are an issue until all are upgraded. That will give you some spares until all are repaired/replaced. The heat treated glass is 5 times more resistant to breakage as the original glass and if broken will pellet instead of shatter. So they are much safer! If you have all the hardware pieces on the front you can clean up the original rock guard frames. Then restore it for the windows with new fiberglass like the OEM guard had. I see in your pictures that the front still has the brackets for the rock guard. You should be able to rework these windows and make them useable for many more years ahead. Good luck and keep us posted on your new project, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:27 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
almena , Wisconsin
Tradewind

Buy it now!!!
mykytiukr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:39 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

hsv , Alabama
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup."
Terry

When I read Pratchett its like a light shining in my brain into places I never knew were there.
bg

(Sorry, no advice wrt the Tradewind.)
yardstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:48 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Old Hickory , TN
Feels like DEJA VU! I just bought the same coach last October on Ebay. I got into a bidding war with a guy and, well, $8,500 later I got my prize .Yes, it got emotional haha. Picked it up from a farm in Michigan and drove it on bald tires back to Nashville. (Seller said tires were good ) Put another $1,500 in it right away for a new Dexter axle and the rest of the time it's been in my yard being renovated (by me). As you guessed, you will end up gutting it. I peeked under my subfloor after gutting the interior and found an old rodent city with tunnels and wet, stinky insulation. Even found a mummified body of a bird or rat. Never intended to go this far but the frame needed de-rusting, some welding, etc.. Don't want to discourage you but be prepared for a long, arduous task ahead if you decide to renovate. I finally have the AC and DC wiring in and the new subfloor so I'm about to finally turn the corner on mine. If you get any helpers it can also start adding up. $$ I love mine and I will finish and enjoy it one day soon I hope. I also expect, just like classic cars, the Vintage Airstreams will only increase in value over time. One thought I might share. If you decide the labor commitment is too large, which I totally understand, you could just polish the exterior and flip it on EBAY, make some qiuck cash to help buy another trailer. Here's some pics: (the last photo is the new subfloor)
BTW, the front window in mine appears to be after market.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Toaster B4.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	327.4 KB
ID:	323519   Click image for larger version

Name:	Renovation 16.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	323520  

Name:	BellyPan Gone.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	305.4 KB
ID:	323522   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Subfloor1.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	323526  

JohnnyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:14 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia

That is some outstanding work you are doing JohnnyRV. My compliments to you. I agree that the value of your Tradewind will only go up. That is one of the advantages of having a vintage Airstream. You should start a renovation thread in the trailer section to document your work.

Dan
Old 09-24-2018, 04:35 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Kingsville , California
Thanks for all the help so far

Well all the advice so far is helping. Leaning towards getting it but planning for the long haul as well. Meaning is not going to be done in a couple of months.

I need to go over and whipper snip around the trailer and have a good look underneath. So the the floor layers are (from the bottom up) aluminum sheeting, then insulation and then the wood floor?

Another question: Is there a company then sells after market lights for these? Don't think any of the original lights on the outside are on the trailer.
Any leads on the that?

Thank you very much. Many of you are assuring me that this is a good investment but it will be a lengthy process.

Aaron
Old 09-24-2018, 08:15 AM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard!! 👍

GREAT find...

ODM

Vintage Airstream

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-24-2018, 10:03 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Blairstown , New Jersey
You are correct about the floor layers. The aluminum belly pan, then insulation (likely filled with rodent nests and remains), and then the plywood floor.

Vintage Trailer Supply carries teardrop marker lights and proper tail lights.

There is a 1962 Overlander currently on Ebay, about 20 minutes north of me in Newton, New Jersey. It has a starting bid of $2900. I mention it so you have something to compare for pricing.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:52 AM   #18
CC

1972 27' Overlander
Heinsburg , AB
Welcome fellow canuck. You might be asking the wrong bunch of people, we are all quite prejudiced when it comes to Airstreams. I found my '72 overlander for sale on my way home from Edmonton and have enjoyed getting to know it; no regrets. For $1000, how can you go wrong? Parting it out alone could easily make your money back +++ But that would be such a shame.
Good luck,
Bernie
Camper Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:04 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 23' Safari
Middletown , Rhode Island
If you decide to pass on this please let me know. I’d be interested in picking it up.
Mx468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:59 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Walter's Falls , Ontario
'59 with an Astro TV

I tow my '59 tradewind with a 4.3 Astro Van. It is a 1991, and for small journeys around southern ontario, it works well. I don't go on major highways. and mainly stick to the back roads, as i don't have a sway bar situation. Eventually i will get a bigger TV and take it to CanAm in London Ontario to install their tried and tested tow package that uses the TV's frame to counter the weight and balance. But for now, I just use this old van and it works well enough for my present needs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	326.6 KB
ID:	324352  

Tags