Old 09-24-2018, 04:35 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Kingsville , Ontario
Thanks for all the help so far

Well all the advice so far is helping. Leaning towards getting it but planning for the long haul as well. Meaning is not going to be done in a couple of months.

I need to go over and whipper snip around the trailer and have a good look underneath. So the the floor layers are (from the bottom up) aluminum sheeting, then insulation and then the wood floor?

Another question: Is there a company then sells after market lights for these? Don't think any of the original lights on the outside are on the trailer.
Any leads on the that?

Thank you very much. Many of you are assuring me that this is a good investment but it will be a lengthy process.

Aaron

SlocanValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:15 AM   #16
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Welcome Aboard!! 👍

GREAT find...

ODM

Vintage Airstream

Bob
🇺🇸

"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel it’s supposed to be done"…..
Amanamus

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:03 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Blairstown , New Jersey
You are correct about the floor layers. The aluminum belly pan, then insulation (likely filled with rodent nests and remains), and then the plywood floor.

Vintage Trailer Supply carries teardrop marker lights and proper tail lights.

There is a 1962 Overlander currently on Ebay, about 20 minutes north of me in Newton, New Jersey. It has a starting bid of $2900. I mention it so you have something to compare for pricing.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:52 AM   #18
CC

1972 27' Overlander
Heinsburg , AB
Welcome fellow canuck. You might be asking the wrong bunch of people, we are all quite prejudiced when it comes to Airstreams. I found my '72 overlander for sale on my way home from Edmonton and have enjoyed getting to know it; no regrets. For $1000, how can you go wrong? Parting it out alone could easily make your money back +++ But that would be such a shame.
Good luck,
Bernie
Camper Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:04 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Middletown , Rhode Island
If you decide to pass on this please let me know. I’d be interested in picking it up.
Mx468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:59 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
collingwood , Ontario
'59 with an Astro TV

I tow my '59 tradewind with a 4.3 Astro Van. It is a 1991, and for small journeys around southern ontario, it works well. I don't go on major highways. and mainly stick to the back roads, as i don't have a sway bar situation. Eventually i will get a bigger TV and take it to CanAm in London Ontario to install their tried and tested tow package that uses the TV's frame to counter the weight and balance. But for now, I just use this old van and it works well enough for my present needs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	326.6 KB
ID:	324352  
Old 10-03-2018, 11:11 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
collingwood , Ontario
better picture

Here is a better pic to get the idea. When I originally got my '59, I was told by CanAm that their tow bars could actually work with the 4 cylinder Subaru Forester [I had before I got the van]. But I can't really see that working on such a small engine for hills etc. It still seems like a stretch, but that said, the physics of the system does do wonders apparently. People here on the forum would know more about it than I.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rig.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	689.6 KB
ID:	324353  
Old 10-04-2018, 08:11 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Kingsville , Ontario
Thanks for the info on the Astro Van as a possibility. Still trying to wrap up some unfinished projects in order to put forth a proposal to the committee (wife) to have it accepted as a reasonable project to take on.

I am going to get it before the winter, so I can start the reno over the winter.

Will keep you posted.

So I am just starting to wrap my brain around towing, sway bars and the like. I am going to ask two friends who have their own trailers, to help me tow the Airstream to my house. If they tow trailers I assume they will be able and set up to tow the Airstream a few kms to my house?
Old 10-04-2018, 11:09 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
collingwood , Ontario
I didn't have a truck when i bought mine. I even advertised in Kijiji to hire some one, its worth it..
Buy the thing is what i say, it is a steal. There are so many people wanting this, including myself. I will come get it if you pass!!

good luck, and Can Am is just down the road, and a great resource.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:25 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Blairstown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlocanValley View Post
So I am just starting to wrap my brain around towing, sway bars and the like. I am going to ask two friends who have their own trailers, to help me tow the Airstream to my house. If they tow trailers I assume they will be able and set up to tow the Airstream a few kms to my house?
If you are only pulling the trailer a few kms, any half-ton truck should be able to pull it without a special setup. I would keep to roads with a speed limit of 80 km/h or less. Your challenge is with lighting. I'd tow during the day with someone in a vehicle behind with flashers. How kind are the local police?
Old 10-04-2018, 07:12 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Towing this trailer on the ball only with a half ton truck is no big deal. I towed a 78 Caravanner, that I convinced my son to buy, from Chattanooga, Tn to Fort Worth, Tex on the ball only. It really towed about the same as my 66 Tradewind that I always tow with a weight distribution hitch.
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:40 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Kingsville , Ontario
That's a good idea about someone behind with flashers on. Local police? When they see the sheer beauty of the trailer they will be temporarily blinded and will not even notice the lack of trailer lights
Old 05-07-2019, 07:22 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Kingsville , Ontario
Well I got I bought the 1962 Tradewind, Finally!!!

It took the entire winter to find the perfect timing to put forth the proposal to the committee and she hummed and hawed for a few days then started to think about the possibilities, as a traveling trailer. She said yes and I went and bought it. $1000 dollars

I can't tell you how many times I drove buy it this winter, just to see if it is still there.

So I have to get the thing to my house (3 or 4kms)

Most of the furniture is in the trailer, just unattached to the walls as someone did some electrical work awhile ago.

First thoughts: This is all new to me but I really want to take my time and do this well, from the ground up.

1. What would the technical name be for when I look for a new axle package? Are some better than others? How can I tell if the one I have has some life still in it?

2.Redo the axle before the build or can it be done after the build without too much trouble?

Looking forward to getting here now as a full fledged member. It was too hard to visit without knowing if I was going to get the AS or not.

Thank you,

Aaron
Old 05-07-2019, 09:00 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Glad that you got it. You have a amazing amount of patience. My committee would always say no, so I would just go out and buy it then ask for forgiveness.

It isn’t a race to complete your build. Do it at your own pace.

Complete your build, then order axles from Colin Hyde.

Dan

TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags