Old 07-12-2012, 08:34 AM   #113

Currently Looking...
Cheney , Washington
Im a complete newb and this is my very first post on the site. Ive already tried a ton of searches with no luck and with my epilepsy flaring up it makes it that much more frustrating to concentrate on reading.

I am buying an older airstream that the lady lost the paperwork on. It's been gutted out and off the frame. Her husband bought this like ten or more years ago and it's been sitting since. So I don't know the year, length, or series. I know I should probably post this else where but my brain is killing me and I figured I should start some where.

This is what I know:
- WBCCI 2585 posted on the front and rear.
-Front and rear seven end caps
-Single axle
-She said it is a 24' but Im not so sure it is that long. Ive not measured it and its still over at her place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aa1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	162973  
Attached Images

RavenMocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #114
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenMocker View Post
I am buying an older airstream that the lady lost the paperwork on. It's been gutted out and off the frame. Her husband bought this like ten or more years ago and it's been sitting since. So I don't know the year, length, or series. I know I should probably post this else where but my brain is killing me and I figured I should start some where.

This is what I know:
- WBCCI 2585 posted on the front and rear.
-Front and rear seven end caps
-Single axle
-She said it is a 24' but Im not so sure it is that long. Ive not measured it and its still over at her place.
Hi RavenMocker,
From the photos your Airstream appears to be a late 1957 or 1958 model that was most likely built in the California factory. I can't see the full trailer in the photos, but the windows suggest it is likely a 22' Flying Cloud or a 26' Overlander model. Those lengths include the tongue and bumper. Many people only consider the body length, so a 26' Overlander would have about a 24' body. I am guessing that might be what you have.

WBCCI #2585 was first assigned in 1959, at which time it was assigned to Elwood and Mary Grace Dunbar of Long Beach, CA.

Good luck with your Airstream!

WBCCI/VAC #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #115
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Yukon , Oklahoma
I have a number of 12421. Would love to know what you have on it. The woman I bought I from had all the paper work and hand notes to all the tricks she had. I have a faint 2804 and tennessee but she said they never lived there.
Tdcraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:02 PM   #116
1 Rivet Member

Bothell , Washington
66Overlander, Joe, you deserve a BIG round of thank yous for all the help you've provided in this thread - as well as offline in our email exchange regarding Airstream #24175

My search only began on Monday, and I'm already finding some good information on my Grandparent's Airstream Safari. We think it's a 1970 Safari Double or Twin. I'm continuing to search for serial or vin numbers and look forward to tracking down this trailer.
BlackBirdCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:29 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBirdCD View Post
66Overlander, Joe, you deserve a BIG round of thank yous for all the help you've provided in this thread - as well as offline in our email exchange regarding Airstream #24175

My search only began on Monday, and I'm already finding some good information on my Grandparent's Airstream Safari. We think it's a 1970 Safari Double or Twin. I'm continuing to search for serial or vin numbers and look forward to tracking down this trailer.
You're welcome. I like trying to solve these Airstream mysteries. I wish I had time to help with more of them, but most of my limited free time lately is taken up working on the 1962 Safari - got to get it structurally sound, fully functional, and cosmetically pleasing by early next year for some big events. I have a bad case of "while I am at it-itis" that keeps making the project bigger and bigger. I seem to not be able to frequent Airforums as often as I used to.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

Old 06-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #118
1955 Safari

1955 22' Safari
Enterprise , Alabama
Kevin, we are currently restoring this trailer. There is a blog and tons of pictures on vintagetrailerwerkes.com We'd love to hear what your experience with/contribution to the trailer was. Thank you
Mark & Jeanne
P.S. Did you make the furniture? If so it looks great!
Air Stream 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #119
1955 Safari

1955 22' Safari
Enterprise , Alabama
Found your trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinb View Post
Joe not trying to work you to death but think you might have a weakness for this one my 55 safari shows # 576
kevin
Kevin, we are currently restoring this trailer. There is a blog and tons of pictures on vintagetrailerwerkes.com We'd love to hear what your experience with/contribution to the trailer was. Thank you
Mark & Jeanne
P.S. Did you make the furniture? If so it looks great!
Air Stream 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:25 AM   #120
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Ringoes , New Jersey
2820?

I have a fellow unit member that has a picture of a 50/60/ unit. she is interested in knowing about it. It is a professional photo and maybe others would have seen it. It is in a field rear view with doggies in window! Thanks John
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:10 AM   #121
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparjohn View Post
I have a fellow unit member that has a picture of a 50/60/ unit. she is interested in knowing about it. It is a professional photo and maybe others would have seen it. It is in a field rear view with doggies in window! Thanks John
Moparjohn,
The photo does not sound familiar to me. Not knowing the year of the Airstream nor the year of the photo makes this hard, but here is some partial information on WBCCI # 2820 from that time period:
  • 2820 was first assigned in 1959.
  • In 1959-60 it was assigned to Ned and Caroline Leach of Seattle, WA, no caravans.
  • In 1961-68 it was assigned to Bryan and Joan Syer originally of Lincroft, NJ, (later Red Bank, NJ), no caravans.
  • Unassigned in 1969.
  • In 1970 and probably later it was assigned to Harold & Margaret Christen of Fort Wayne, IN, no caravans as of 1970.
  • I did not check beyond 1970.
Since you are from NJ, I might guess that is where your unit member is also from and likely where the photo may have originated, thus making the Syers a very possible owner of the Airstream with the doggies.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

Old 01-11-2015, 05:23 PM   #122
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Ringoes , New Jersey

Thanks! I'm not sure when the photo was taken, it is "real art" not just a large family photo. I wish I could post a pic. John
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:46 PM   #123

Currently Looking...
columbus , Indiana
Overlander

Could anyone look up the numbers 5854? We just saved an old Overlander from the junk yard and would some info on it! We dont even know the year yet... I believe the vin to be S-l26410211 if anyone knows how to ge info from it. Thank you in advance!
brandybrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:03 PM   #124
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Remember the numbers went with the club member, not the trailer. Still interesting
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 04:05 PM   #125
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandybrown View Post
Could anyone look up the numbers 5854? We just saved an old Overlander from the junk yard and would some info on it! We dont even know the year yet... I believe the vin to be S-l26410211 if anyone knows how to ge info from it. Thank you in advance!
Hi Brandy,
The serial number confirms your recent find is a 1964 26' Overlander with double bed built in Ohio. The WBCCI number 5854 was first assigned in 1961 before your Overlander was built and thus first appeared in the 1962 Membership Directory, so we cannot be totally sure when those numbers were applied to the trailer. #5854 was assigned in the Membership Directories over the years as follows:
1962-66: Mrs. Voilet Smith, Greenwood, IN, caravans 29 - Mexico Winter 1962 & 33 - Eastern Canada Summer 1963.
1967: I am missing this directory.
1968-71: Omer Rebah Nicely, Danville, Ind., no caravans.
1972: Unassigned.
1973-78: Robert & Elaine Tague, Wonder Lake, IL, no caravans.
1979-81: Unassigned.
1982-1993: William T & Letha M Hook, Weedsport, NY, caravans 143 - Mexico West to East Winter 1983 & 154 - Christmas in Guadalajara Winter 1984 and three numbered WBCCI Region and National Caravans.
1994-95: Unassigned.
1996: Barry & Indra Remsburg, Seattle, WA, no caravans.
1997-98: Unassigned.
1999: Steven & Vicki Weiner, Evergreen, CO, no caravans.
2000-01: Unassigned.
2002-Current: Assigned to current members who I will not identify on this public forum.

Given that you are in Indiana, and assuming you rescued the Airstream close by, I will guess that it is most likely that the Voilet Smith and/or Omer Nicely may have owned your Airstream. If Violet owned it, she would have had to upgrade from whatever Airstream she owned when she joined the club in 1961. Since the serial number of your Airstream indicates it was built in the middle of the model year, I doubt she could have gotten it early enough to take it on her 1963 caravan. It is possible that Violet Smith sold her Airstream to Omer Nicely, so it is possible that both may have owned the same Airstream (yours or something different).

Of course it is also possible that Tagues owned your 1964 Overlander if their town in IL is close to you. I think it less likely that the Tagues owned the same Airstream as either Mrs. Smith or Mr. Nicely because of the unassigned years in between. It seems most likely that the Tague's got a randomly reassign of an unused number when they joined the club.

I doubt that any of the later assignee's owned your Overlander becuase they were not from Indiana nor any adjoining state.

That said, these are only guesses because the club does not keep records of the Airstreams owned by club members, nor used on caravans. In any case, enjoy your new Airstream!
WBCCI/VAC #6768

Old 06-26-2016, 04:13 PM   #126
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparjohn View Post
Thanks! I'm not sure when the photo was taken, it is "real art" not just a large family photo. I wish I could post a pic. John
Hi John,
Looking up past WBCCI Member information is time consuming. I just don't have the time to look up the number on an unknown Airstream in an "art photo". I try to help owners with the numbers on an Airstream they own or maybe on one they are thinking of purchasing. Sometimes, I get way behind doing even that. I hope you understand.

I can tell you that #2820 would have been first assigned in 1959 and being a low 4-digit number likely has been reassigned several times over the years since then.

WBCCI/VAC #6768

Tags
wbcci number