Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1959-69 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2005, 02:21 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Peerenboom
The windows in the '66, '67 and '68 Airstreams are unique in that they were the only years that Airstream used Corning curved glass, which is no longer made and trying to find exact replacements are near impossible. However there is a reasonable alternative; lexan. Inland RV carries them and a lot of other replacement parts for our beauties.Best,
Barb
You can find Lexan at almost any industrial supply house. They will sell you as much or as little of it as you want. It is much cheaper to use someone local to get that stuff. It goes in really easy but it is not as scratch resistant as the original OC stuff. It does have better insulating properties though. I had to replace my wrap-around windows on my Argosy and the Lexan fit better and was easier to work with. Looks good and it is still holding up!

Just remember, that restoring the trailer is an adventure and not a job! I keep repeating that to myself each time I start a new one. I also swear that it will be the last one. Then I see one that looks like it needs to be saved and it starts all over again!

Good luck!
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 02:29 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
This is sort of for everybody out there; there's this thing we have for caulking that costs about .99c and works like a dream for finishing your caulking edge. We got it at a Yardbirds but here's the item and company. You just take this little square thingy and push it along your wet caulking bead and everybody things you're a genius caulker. Looks like they have other stuff too that works great.

http://www.homaxproducts.com/catalog/caulkfinisher.html
Hey, that thing is COOL!
I am gonna see if they have it at Lowes when I go to pick up some PEX to do my water lines!
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 07:46 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
The flooring

We installed the flooring this past weekend.

We cut the tile to 9x9 from 12x12 for a more original look. Although the original tile was 8 7/8 we found the 9x9 easier to work with. My variation from "stock" is a 3 inch blue stripe inset around the perimeter, kind of my grandmother's red path perimeter in her kitchen.
Things we learned that caused us to tear the project up a couple of times: 1. There are "right" and "wrong" sides to the tile. 2. Variation from the plumb line by a miniscule amount at the beginning will end up being a half inch off plumb at the 10 foot mark.

Other lessons: Don't press the tile down until you are "sure" it's where you want it. Patience--when lifting a glued tile allow it to "give" at its own pace. Forcing it will tear it. When calculating square footage, if planning to cut to 9x9, one needs to calculate the wastage.

In the bathroom area, I used 3x3 with 1 inch inset stripe. I simply ran out of tile (due to the miscalculation of 12 to 9) and had to be creative. I ended up cutting nearly every one of those "to fit".

My fingertips are sore from lifting and moving tiles. I also pinched an area on the inside of my left index finger. Kind of a bloody event. Never really realized how much I use that area-but then if I hadn't been using it, it wouldn't have got hurt! Put a little glue on it and kept working.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	10776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 3.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	10777  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	10778  

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 06:19 AM   #44
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
That looks beautiful!! Wow, maybe I will have to keep a copy of the potos for referance when I get to my bath......
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 02:44 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Exclamation Wow!!!

Great Job Eljay!!! I wish hubby would finish with all the mechanics so I can get started on the floor in Moby. I'm still leaning towards cork.

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:02 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Laura, so fine! You have put your stamp on Icky so he/she (???) is different from all others. I like the blue and white, fresh and clean looking. Sweat, pain, and time, but great results
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 05:57 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
great job! i had to look twice. at first i thought you put some sticky on your icky... then i realized you did an inlay...duh!... hello!...well cut me some hus on these old eyes..
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 08:39 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Vulkem

I was out as soon as it was light enough to see. I applied the clean release blue tape and husband applied the Vulkem. We are over half done.

Also got the new fridge vent cover installed. Twice. We forgot the screen the first time...

And I got the holes drilled in the fridge duct/scoop and got it painted and ready to install.

It's progress.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:08 AM   #49
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Fridge duckt?? I thought you were going to take the one I had?!?!?!?

Great progress, keep at it.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
Old 05-24-2005, 09:53 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by till
Fridge duckt?? I thought you were going to take the one I had?!?!?!?

Great progress, keep at it.
Know what, Edd? If she doesn't need it and it's still up for sale I might need it - mine has a ton of breaks around the edges and I thought I'd have to fiberglass repair it.....what is yours like?
moogie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 05:53 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by moogie32
Know what, Edd? If she doesn't need it and it's still up for sale I might need it - mine has a ton of breaks around the edges and I thought I'd have to fiberglass repair it.....what is yours like?
The fiberglass repair/reenforcement is really quite easy, Moogie32. I am pretty impressed with the way ours turned out. (Tedd was right, I need his for Hunkajunk...)

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:29 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
I am so excited...Two windows are on their way from Tedd in Illinois...

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:29 AM   #53
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Now calm down will ya. They still have to survive the run down to your place in the Lincoln with those two crazy drivers.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...