Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2017, 05:47 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1966 24' Tradewind
Columbus , Ohio
Here we go again...'66 Tradewind

Yep, we have another restore project. This one is a '66 Tradewind International.

So, even though they're only a year apart there's a world a difference.

First the good news.
The floor is solid except for the bathroom.
Doesn't seem like it's ever had a bad leak because the PO actually didn't just let it sit outside and ignore it.
All the inner furnishings and appliances seem to be in good shape and usable.
The wood in this one is beautiful, reusable, and solid.
The fresh water tank looks perfect.
And, the frame from the front to almost the back is in great shape.
All the windows are in and work. Including the hardware.
Exterior lights all work and only a couple of the markers will need new lenses.
Interior lights are also good and work.

Bad news...
The bathroom. Oh well. We knew that would be the case.
The dents. Lots of dents.
Dent fixing is new to us. Our new challenge.
And it didn't leak because the PO used silicone to seal everything. Ugh.

We've already stripped the inside.
I'm taking it to a body shop this week to see if they can fix the dents or if we have to replace panels.
The belly pan will get dropped this week and we'll start from there and work our way up.
It pulled 500 miles on new Goodyear Endurance tires and I hardly knew it was back there. So axles and brakes will wait until it's ready to camp.

The Safari is perfect in my opinion. And I enjoyed the process (once I got Dave to help). So I'm looking forward to this project.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3391.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	303.0 KB
ID:	286601   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3387.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	286602  

Name:	IMG_3389.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	299.1 KB
ID:	286603   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3426.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	332.3 KB
ID:	286604  

Mtmanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:41 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Lockport , Illinois
Nice purchase! Are you planning on restoring her to its original glory?

I will be following along with your progress. We are currently working on restoring a 69 Tradewind...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0993.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	363.8 KB
ID:	286658
fromthegitgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello Mtmanor: I just saw your thread. I need to check the Knowledgebase more often. You are on a new adventure this this beauty.

It's a International to boot. Your description of the trailer "as found" sound great. Dents are a skill level I don't have. I did manage to straighten out some dents in my banana wraps in front, and I did use a suction cup on a dent in the front quarter panel. But end cap dents, well I don't know.

I have a 66 base model Trade Wind. It was not as good as the one you found, and I probably paid more. I worked on it about three winters, or about 1200 hours total. I work slow I guess. The trailer is now "travel ready" with all systems in working order. Most of the appliances were replaced. This Trade Wind and I are attached to each other. I know that tralier quite well as you can imagine.

Ugh, a belly pan. I'm tired of dropping and replacing belly pans. I've done three of them. But I guess I'm willing to do another should the need arise.

Keep us posted on your progress...

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1505 Home Street Front (Small).jpg
Views:	116
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	291161   Click image for larger version

Name:	1507 Bath Layout (Small) (2).jpg
Views:	109
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	291162  

dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Mtmanor

Glad that you are rescuing this 66Tradewind. Too bad the the previous owners were not more careful when they were backing up. Once You learn about panel replacement you will be able to help the rest of us.

Glad to hear that you like your Endurance tires. I just bought some for our Tradewind.

Looking forward to hearing more.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:51 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1966 24' Tradewind
Columbus , Ohio
Going backward before we can go forward

We are going to learn all kinds of things.
Can you call this progress?

Unfortunately the door frame was cracked. So off comes the door and half of the panel to the left of the door.

Out comes the floor.
Out goes the access doors, patches and wheel wells.

My shop is next door to a frame and axle shop so it's down here getting ready to have the frame sleeved and only one of the cross supports replaced. Bonus.

They also welded the aluminum door frame and added some support. We still need to grind it down a little but it is secure.

Since the door is off and is getting new skins I ordered a porthole! I know, I know, but I want a window.

Ooops, have to go
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0101.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	389.5 KB
ID:	291268   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0367.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	300.1 KB
ID:	291269  

Name:	IMG_0374.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	326.6 KB
ID:	291270   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0360.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	273.4 KB
ID:	291271  

Old 08-05-2017, 06:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi Mtmanor: I like the idea of a porthole in the door. It's a "land yacht" for goodness sakes. I don't like the "no left turn" sign in your interior. But hey, aluminum is aluminum no matter where you get it.

You are very good at demolition. I assume the shell is next to come off. I can only imagine the hours you will have in this old Trade Wind rebuilding it. I figure it takes 10 times more hours to rebuild than it does to take it apart.

I'm looking forward to watching you work like mad on this old Trade Wind.

David
Old 08-06-2017, 09:25 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1966 24' Tradewind
Columbus , Ohio
New axles

So, since the floor is now completely out I've gone ahead with ordering axles.

Last time Dave did the frame repairs at his house. The '67 frame was straight but rusted so pretty straight forward. It needed more of the outrigger pieces replaced and he completely redesigned the back for a new black/grey tank.

This time the frame had a small buckle. I took it to my neighbors, Nelson Frame and Axle, to have it straightened and strengthened. Since it's there and they need access back to the axles I'm skipping ahead and having the new axles installed now.

I had called and emailed Colin Hyde multiple times. He must be too busy as I've had one response in over 2 months. So, one call to Inland I had the quote. Another call I have them on order and in a week have my box of extra parts. Redneck trailer has a location here and I can pick up the axles from their shop with no extra shipping cost. Bonus as I wasn't planning on spending that money yet.

When we redid the '67 I had to special order marine plywood as no one sold it here. It was beautiful 14 ply baltic birch. Almost too pretty to cover. This time Menards carries a douglas fir version that's 9 ply. It's clean and should get the job done but it feels like cheating. Ha.

The plywood is here and ready to get coated while we wait for the frame to be done.

In order to get Patches home I left a border of the old floor in and bolted to the frame. I don't think that's enough for a 30 mile ride though. Thinking we'll have to add new floor back in from the axles forward before towing.

Any thoughts on this? Because the floor has to come right back out so we can take the body off to clean and paint the frame. (Nelson's is busy and doesn't have the room to let me work on it there.)
Old 08-06-2017, 09:26 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1966 24' Tradewind
Columbus , Ohio
Look how pretty that is! Goals!
Old 08-06-2017, 09:27 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1966 24' Tradewind
Columbus , Ohio
Are you starting a thread on yours?
Old 08-06-2017, 06:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I didn't do a thread on either of our vintage Airstream trailers. I really didn't do anything that interesting. Just "fixing up" an old Airstream so it can be used again.

David
Old 09-06-2017, 07:03 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1966 24' Tradewind
Columbus , Ohio
Axle specs anywhere?

It's too long of a story. Why are axles so hard to get? And get correctly?

Tried calling and emailing Colin Hyde after seeing him talk at Alumapalooza. Colin's secretary answered once with a question about something already in the email. They then went offline completely.

So, two months later I called Inland. They were very polite and knowledgeable.

Except someone lost my order. Whether it was Dexter or them I'll never know.

Finally the axles get here on Tuesday. But, they are completely different than the ones for the '67 Safari.

Does anyone have specs on the axles for a '66 TradeWind? They came rated for 3,500 lbs each. The trailer will never weigh close to that.

The frame has to have the channel cut open an extra 1/4" - 1/3" to accommodate the new axle.
The holes don't match up so new holes need to be drilled or the existing extended. They say at inland to line up the rear holes but it seems it will push the tires too far forward.

Inland's response? "How many AS has my axle place worked on?", "Andy has been doing this for 51 years." Well EXCUSE me.

I don't know how long the shop has been there but they get quite the parade of vintage vehicles of all makes, types and sizes over there. Not to mention all the other vehicles. And they've been in business a long time.

Very frustrating to be at the mercy of two people who seem to hold the whole vintage AS group hostage.

Anyone have the specs? Please?
Old 09-06-2017, 08:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Kansas City , Missouri
I had a similar experience. As I learned too late, there are other options for axles. Go to #52 on my thread and read all about it.
Slats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:35 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1966 24' Tradewind
Columbus , Ohio
axles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats View Post
I had a similar experience. As I learned too late, there are other options for axles. Go to #52 on my thread and read all about it.
I did, and it reminded me I need to go back and reread your thread.

My axle guys are like your axle guy. Been there, done that. They aren't afraid to drill new holes. But, they are questioning the 7,000 lb rated axles for a 4,500 lb trailer.

Oh, and I shouldn't name names I guess. Eeek. No editing now since I can't even get my pics to stand up.
Thanks for the response.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:47 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtmanor View Post
It's too long of a story. Why are axles so hard to get? And get correctly?

Tried calling and emailing Colin Hyde after seeing him talk at Alumapalooza. Colin's secretary answered once with a question about something already in the email. They then went offline completely.

So, two months later I called Inland. They were very polite and knowledgeable.

Except someone lost my order. Whether it was Dexter or them I'll never know.

Finally the axles get here on Tuesday. But, they are completely different than the ones for the '67 Safari.

Does anyone have specs on the axles for a '66 TradeWind? They came rated for 3,500 lbs each. The trailer will never weigh close to that.

The frame has to have the channel cut open an extra 1/4" - 1/3" to accommodate the new axle.

The holes don't match up so new holes need to be drilled or the existing extended. They say at inland to line up the rear holes but it seems it will push the tires too far forward.

Inland's response? "How many AS has my axle place worked on?", "Andy has been doing this for 51 years." Well EXCUSE me.

I don't know how long the shop has been there but they get quite the parade of vintage vehicles of all makes, types and sizes over there. Not to mention all the other vehicles. And they've been in business a long time.

Very frustrating to be at the mercy of two people who seem to hold the whole vintage AS group hostage.

Anyone have the specs? Please?

Mtmanor

I ordered my axles from Colin. Communication is a problem, but once you get to talk to him, you realize that he knows his stuff and the axles that you get will be correct, as close as you can get to plug and play, and probably the best price.

The standard Dexter axles are now 3,500 lbs. I ordered these derated to 2,500 lbs. I believe the original axles were 2,600 lbs.

Here are the dimensions I gave Colin:

B- Outside brackets 57.875"
D- Mounting bracket hole centers 10"
F- Top of bracket to centerline of axle tube 0.875"
A- Hubface to hubface 76.375"
E- Hubface to outside bracket 8.75"

The axles I ordered were about 75", as I recall, based on Colin's recommendation. He did tell me that I would also need to drill new holes. I have not installed them yet. If you pm me your email address I can send you all my correspondence with Colin. This includes figures that should provide you what you need.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:06 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Axles under old Airstreams is a problem. Colin Hyde used to handle it quite well, but I think there has been some "consolidation in the axle manufacturers. I think I read Dexter now owns Axis. There are local suppliers for Dexter torque flex axles. The trouble is Dexter requires all these specifications before they will accept the order. Some folks have gotten a number wrong and been quite disappointed.

For my next axles, I'm going to my local trailer shop that carries Dexter "torque flex" axles. I'm taking the old axles with me. I will hold them accountable for providing an exact duplicate. I will specify 12" drums since I live in the mountains and use trailer brakes a lot.

The 66 Trade Wind Axis axles that came from Colin Hyde were 2800 lb rated, and came standard with 10" drums. The notch and bolt pattern was different. The shock mount was correct so I didn't need my welder. I did order the Airstream standard 22 degree starting angle. I kinda wish I had ordered a 26 degree starting angle for maybe an additional inch of ride height.

It took this old guy quite a bit of time to grind the notch bigger and drill new mounting holes. I made a template locating on the frame rail to center punch the new holes and mark the increased notch.

It can be done, and you can do it.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1406 Axle Rear Mounted 1 (Small).jpg
Views:	107
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	294300   Click image for larger version

Name:	1406 Axle Template (Small).jpg
Views:	103
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	294301  

Old 11-30-2017, 05:03 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1966 24' Tradewind
Columbus , Ohio
Progress

I'm afraid to post pics as I cannot for the life of me turn my phone sideways to take photos.

But, the frame is finished being welded. It was much more damage than we had guessed. Pretty much had to replace the curb side from the wheel well on back. On the drive side it was bad from the water heater to the back. Had them add a hitch receiver to the back for a bike rack. It's strong enough to hold just about anything from the looks of it.

And, the axles are on. What a pain in the butt that was.
But it's over. And on the ride home it rode so smooth that the backer plate that we forgot inside never rattled out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0534 (1).jpg
Views:	76
Size:	339.1 KB
ID:	300053   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1728.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	397.8 KB
ID:	300054  

Name:	IMG_0101.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	389.5 KB
ID:	300055   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2103.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	310.5 KB
ID:	300056  

Old 11-30-2017, 05:09 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1966 24' Tradewind
Columbus , Ohio
progress pics

I was pretty much obsessed about the axles. Here's both sets of measurements and then of course I see a trailer load going by.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1490.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	241.3 KB
ID:	300057   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3065.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	300058  

Name:	IMG_2637.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	291.6 KB
ID:	300059  
Old 11-30-2017, 05:40 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1966 24' Tradewind
Columbus , Ohio
Tanks are next

Here are before and after pics of the tires and axles.

It's perfect timing that it's back home. My season is quickly winding down if you don't count end of year stuff and Christmas. Ha. And,we're having just a couple of days of very late Indian Summer so I can get the frame Por'd.
I forget how stinky that stuff is.

We're sitting down and finalizing floor plans this week. Hoping to get two grey tanks that will actually feed into each other ordered and finalize the placement of the black tank. (Deciding which side to install the toilet.)

Oh, and I forgot, the door frame was fixed.

Any opinions on floor plans? Original or ? I'll post one I saw and wish I could credit to the owner.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3719.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	300060   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0361.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	244.8 KB
ID:	300061  

Name:	IMG_2994.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	317.9 KB
ID:	300062   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3392.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	313.9 KB
ID:	300063  

Old 11-30-2017, 05:48 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1966 24' Tradewind
Columbus , Ohio
floor plan?

I like the layout of the Safari a lot. But having 2 extra feet seems very luxurious. Leaning toward this floor plan but hear nothing good about beds against the wall.

Thoughts anyone?
Old 11-30-2017, 05:50 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1966 24' Tradewind
Columbus , Ohio
Ooops

Forgot the floor plan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0252.JPG