Old 06-16-2016, 10:43 AM   #1

1969 21' Globetrotter
Shreveport , Louisiana
Gutted '64 Tradewind

Greetings. This is my first post, and I don't currently own an AS yet, but I have been hunting for months now. I've found a person about three hours away who bought a stripped out '64 Tradewind, and began renovating it with the idea of just remodeling it for their specific needs.

They didn't replace the whole subfloor, which worries me, but they did replace the rear sheet and a section by the door. They say the trailer was bought in West Texas, but lived NM before that...that it still has the original paint & no rust so they did not repaint or repair any part of the frame before installing a new laminate floor. They put in rigid insulation and rewired it, installed new black water and grey water tanks in the rear (custom, since it didn't come with grey water tank originally.) They haven't plumbed anything yet, and haven't purchased a new fresh water tank yet. The windows are all tempered glass and sealed. They capped the two front vents and installed a three layer skylight of their own design in the Astrodome hole. They bought a replacement for the rear access door, but the two panels on the street side are covered in sheet metal for now. (They had plans to have sheet metal worker/friend make them a cover.)

He has 12 volt running lights wired, but the rest of the trailer is only wired for 110, since they only planned to use it with a generator or shoreline. It has the 30 amp connection and breaker box in.

My wife and I are more interested in having the option to go boon docking and possibly include solar, so my question is this: based on what he's already done, should I not even worry about this trailer because of the 110 wiring, and look for another that is ready for a remodel that includes both 110 and 12 volt capability?

We are ok with not going back to original condition, and would rather not have to gut, repair, and reinstall floor, wiring and plumbing/tanks. Is it reasonable to wait for another trailer that is this far along in the renovation? How do I figure out what is a fair offer to make for it? (I offered 5 or 6K and they said they had too much in it to go that low.)

I love this site, and thanks for your help!

meturtlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Welcome to Air Forums.

At least two things bother me about this trailer. I would not want a trailer without 12v for lights, water pump, vent fans and usb port charging of phones and iPads, etc. I also don't want a trailer with sealed Windows. They must be operable, able to be opened and closed.

If the owner has modified it for his unique requirements he is going to loose money when he sells it. How much he looses is the big question.

I would keep looking.

Good luck, Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote