Old 11-23-2019, 01:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Berlin , Berlin
End Cap and interior wall install

Hi guys.

We are finally reinstalling our endcaps. We started with the one in the rear. Insulation went well but we were (oh surprise...) a bit struggling with the endcap itself. The original holes for the rivets just won't align. The holes for the rivets on the top of the endcap and the holes in the rib are about half an inch apart.
We tried bending and pressing the endcap in position so the holes would align with each other. But it didn't quite work. Now we checked the photos we did before we removed the endcaps and interior walls (attached to this thread) and realized that the lower interior panel was build in before the endcap. Now we are not sure weather the upper part the interior wall. How is it in your Trade Wind? Interior walls first or endcaps first?
And/also: If the original holes don't align, would you just drill new holes or is that a bad idea?

I am very happy and thankful to get some help from you Trade Wind guys! Thank you :-)
And all the Best from Germany.
Cheers, Severin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4912.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	356715  

severin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:45 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Blairstown , New Jersey
I am pretty sure that I took all the side walls (the ones that extend between the end panels) out prior to the end caps. In the front, I think I took end cap out after I took out the wall panels below the end cap. At least that's what my pictures show. All the walls around the front end cap had some thin aluminum trim that went between the end cap and the wall panels to give a nice finished edge. At the rear, the side walls came out first, then the end panel, then the end cap, then the panels that were below the end cap. No trim was used since the bath pieces cover the seams.

Here's what I know I can't remember: Of the top, middle, and lower side panels, which overlap which?

Old 11-28-2019, 01:37 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Berlin , Berlin
So we found out that the endcap has to come in first.
BUT! We have huge problems get the endcap in.
The horizontal curveture won't fit with the trailer. See pictures.
And tips out there. Had anybody the same problem?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6461.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	269.3 KB
ID:	356954   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6459.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	356955  

Name:	IMG_6460.jpg
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	356956  
Old 11-29-2019, 02:51 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Blairstown , New Jersey
If the end cap came out of the trailer, it has to go back in using the same holes provided your installation order is correct. Note in the pictures that the lower walls go in first. This will help to occupy some space between the end cap and the ribs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rear End Cap.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	407.4 KB
ID:	357032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear End Cap Removed.JPG
Size:	394.0 KB
ID:	357033  

Old 11-30-2019, 04:39 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Berlin , Berlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmuw View Post
If the end cap came out of the trailer, it has to go back in using the same holes provided your installation order is correct. Note in the pictures that the lower walls go in first. This will help to occupy some space between the end cap and the ribs.
Hiya.

Thank you for your reply.
I aLso had the feeling that those lower walls had to go in first. Thank you!

How do you make sure to press the endcap as much as the oroginal holes line up?
Old 11-30-2019, 07:46 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Blairstown , New Jersey
After you get the two lower curved panels in place, I think I'd try putting a few Clecos around the window and a couple at the top front edge to hold the end cap in place. Then, work from the bottom of the rear window forward. Then work the front edge of the end cap from bottom to top. It hasn't worked for you to work from the top of the front edge down.

I am guessing what is the best order for the process--I haven't reinstalled my end caps yet!
Old 12-04-2019, 03:48 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Berlin , Berlin
Hiya.

Thanks all for your help.
Today we wanted to give it a other shot.
So we tried to level the trailer.

And there we found out that the rear and front floor/frane is higher that the area above the wheels. I dont know how much but its about 1degree on both sides.
Our trailer had a full shell off and new subfloor. Is it normal? Is it ok? What do you think?

I thought it might have something to do that the endcap instal is so hard!?
Old 12-04-2019, 11:05 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Blairstown , New Jersey
I've done a shell off as well, and had some rear end separation. The plywood for the subfloor has been replaced. My understanding of the separation problem is that the rear end needs to be jacked up a bit to reattach the shell. I can't imagine how this would affect the spacing of the holes in the vertical ribs, which is your problem area.