Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1959-69 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2011, 10:00 PM   #41
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Oh my, that's a great story. Thanks for posting it. I think we've found the inspirational Airstream Minnesota dealer. Thanks Don Hart for all of your efforts and I hope you realize there's still alot of Airstreams that left your sales lot still hanging around the upper midwest.

BTW Don - did you ever get that serial number from your friend Tucker?

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:02 PM   #42
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Although Hart Trailer Sales is no longer an Airstream dealer, they are still in business as an RV dealer.

When I checked a few years ago, they still had a few 'old-timers' on staff who could repair just about anything on an Airstream.

They've been in business since at least 1928. Maybe since 1888 as a trailer maker.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:42 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Brad,

Aug 01,2011 purchased a 1960, S/N 24TS_0398, an International, and a California build. Found it in Anacortes, WA. The sellers were on holiday, found they liked the Seattle area, and to fund staying needed to sell their Airstream. We helped them out.

From the registrations that came with it, from Aug 1960 until fall of 2010 it lived its life in Fresno, CA. Last fall it went to Ketchum/Sun Valley, ID and spent the winter having the water lines expand (sigh). Otherwise, in pretty good shape and all the bad things are all better now.

It has an A/C on the roof that needs to come off. Not working and butt ugly. Way too tall, heck, it will barely get under my 10' door of my shop for the winter storage and work program we have for it.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:09 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57 View Post
Brad,

Aug 01,2011 purchased a 1960, S/N 24TS_0398, an International, and a California build. . . .
Congrats, Barry! And welcome to the TW club. I know you will do it justice.

Brad, it looks like the registry has grown since I've last checked in. Cool!
Old 09-01-2011, 04:52 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57 View Post
Brad,

Aug 01,2011 purchased a 1960, S/N 24TS_0398, an International, and a California build. Found it in Anacortes, WA. The sellers were on holiday, found they liked the Seattle area, and to fund staying needed to sell their Airstream. We helped them out.

From the registrations that came with it, from Aug 1960 until fall of 2010 it lived its life in Fresno, CA. Last fall it went to Ketchum/Sun Valley, ID and spent the winter having the water lines expand (sigh). Otherwise, in pretty good shape and all the bad things are all better now.

It has an A/C on the roof that needs to come off. Not working and butt ugly. Way too tall, heck, it will barely get under my 10' door of my shop for the winter storage and work program we have for it.
Actually, I don't know if mine is an International. It has the globe tag, does that identify the I or not? But it has the beautiful wood - what is it, mahogany?

Barry
Old 09-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #46
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Barry ~
An Int'l model would have the Ogden water purifier by the galley sink, padding on the aluminum walls over each bed, a separate 12 volt and 110 system with a battery box under the front window, a 12 volt compressor for the water tank and three Int'l emblems on the outside of the trailer; two up front on each side and one over the rear window.

The beautiful wood does not signify an Int'l alone. Mine is a 'park model' and has the wonderful reddish mahogany wood throughout. One of the best features of my TradeWind IMHO.

On edit: your serial number would have a capital 'I' in it if it was an Int'l model.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:26 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
Barry ~
An Int'l model would have the Ogden water purifier by the galley sink, padding on the aluminum walls over each bed, a separate 12 volt and 110 system with a battery box under the front window, a 12 volt compressor for the water tank and three Int'l emblems on the outside of the trailer; two up front on each side and one over the rear window.

The beautiful wood does not signify an Int'l alone. Mine is a 'park model' and has the wonderful reddish mahogany wood throughout. One of the best features of my TradeWind IMHO.

On edit: your serial number would have a capital 'I' in it if it was an Int'l model.

Brad
FF
Thus, based on the above info, mine is not an International. Thanks Brad, I got to wondering after my initial post if it actually was. The seller was convinced it was and I didn't know one way or the other. I'm quite pleased with it the way it is. If it had the other things, great, but it does have the separate 110 and 12V systems, battery box under the front window and if there was a water pump compressor it is long gone.

I also noticed that the globe thing is the landyatch plate with Wally in it.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:54 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Cupertino , California
Rick, I have a Jan 61, DSS0574.
CLAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:18 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
1959 24' Tradewind
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Northeast , Iowa
Here's another for your registry. We just bought #249037 '59 Tradewind, another Minnesota trailer. This has a faded dealer marking of Phil Dunning Travel Sales, not sure if it was the original sales dealer.
We're just starting to figure out what we're going to do with it after migrating it to Iowa. It has a front sofa, twin beds in the middle.
epperp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:50 PM   #50
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Thank you and congratulations!!! How about posting a few pictures for us all to see? Everyone on this thread loves the early TradeWinds and I'm sure yours is no exception.

BTW - I'm an Iowa born-and-raised vintage Airstream enthusiast too.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:09 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
1959 24' Tradewind
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Northeast , Iowa
I haven't figured out how to post photos from this ipad yet, but they'll be coming.
Our first priority is towing it home from Twin Cities to NE Iowa. New tires are first order of business. Tell me if there is a better thread to post this to, but can anyone offer suggestions/guidance on what tires to use, what rims would be on it?

Flyfshr, what part of Iowa did you hail from? Thanks for assembling this registry, we are looking forward to learning lots from all you experienced vintage owners.
epperp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:31 PM   #52
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by epperp View Post
Flyfshr, what part of Iowa did you hail from?
Originally from Harlan in SW Iowa. Moved to the Phx area in fall of 1979. And you're welcome for assembling the registry, it has been a ton of fun and I've gotten to meet some new friends along the way.

Replace those split rims and I put on American made Marathons on my TW. Travel safe.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #53

1960 24' Tradewind
ellsworth , Maine
dragged her out!

We just mucked out the NEW TO US 1960 #240247D land yacht! We plan to create a mobile food trailer, so the mostly intact interior will be taken apart. I hope that I can find homes for all of these parts....... anyhow, The thing is in pretty good shape as far as the frame and the shell. Iv'e waded through alot of posts tonight and hope that tomorrow I can figure out where to start taking her apart. I still dont know things like what the cabin frame is made of or the condition of the insulation. I am a home builder that metamorphosed from a boat builder/service tech when the economy tanked so i'm more than ready for the job (still be your best bud for newb stuff to juicy tips)
Sooooo I hope to have some good old gorey detailed stuff for you all soon. Thanks for letting me into your club, O
airfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #54
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Welcome aboard AirFood. Glad you found an early TradeWind and also glad you found us. I've added your info to the registry. Post some pictures when you can and certainly let us know when you have some interior components available. Ask all the questions you'd like, we'll see what we can do.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #55

1960 24' Tradewind
ellsworth , Maine
Here she is. She was a mobile insurance unit though seemingly unaltered.
Sat for many years not leaking a drop and collecting mice. Gonna hook up temp wood stove so we can work on her during this winter. I'M SO FREAKIN EXCITED!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dec11 243.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	448.1 KB
ID:	148041   Click image for larger version

Name:	dec11 245.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	352.4 KB
ID:	148042  

Click image for larger version

Name:	dec11 241.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	360.7 KB
ID:	148043  
airfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #56
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
She's a real beauty!! Gotta love these old gals. Any interior pictures to share?

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Our friend is enroute to pick up an early TW they just acquired. He is dedicated - they are driving through ugly snow and rain to get to the sellers place. I'll let him introduce himself and his trailer (Brad already knows).

He had a '51 Flying Cloud the same as ours only his was gorgeous original, but they never camped in it. It did not have a bathroom (we added ours), and a few other things. When they spied our '60 TW that convinced them that they needed an early TW so the 'Cloud was recently sold and the search was on. One was found and he and a buddy are on their way to nirvana.

I'll nudge him to post his story, and some pics, when he (and we) get home. This is exciting as both of us will be towing our TW's with our '50's wagons this summer around the PNW.

We waited 5 years for them to get their 'Cloud on the road so this is a big step. Now they can grenade that fiberglass trailer they've had for almost 20 years, maybe longer.

Don't you just love it when someone discovers the perfect trailer? Life is very good!
Old 02-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #58
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
This is sooo cool and if those friends of yours pass this way, tell 'em to give me a shout. I'd love to see the TradeWind and meet them.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:58 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
I will pass that message on to them Brad. I understand from a late night call that they have hit enough snow that at one point after having to put chains on the truck it took them 2 hours to go 40 miles. Good thing they did not yet have the trailer in tow.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #60
1 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Mission , British Columbia
The 58TW is now at it's new home on the PNW

So as Safari 57 said, I and a buddy took a road trip from BC to Tucson Az to pick up our new(to us) Tradewind. It is registered as a 1958, so I think that is what I will call it. The registration says it was first registered in June of 1958.
The trip down was mostly uneventful except for having to chain up the truck to go over the Siskiyou pass. It had snowed quite heavily overnight, so chains were mandatory. Of course, as soon as we had them on and started up the pass, the advisory was changed to "must have winter tires and CARRY chains." oh well- it was an experience. And we are not in a hurry to repeat it.
The TW is s/n 249040 and as far as we can gather it has spent the bulk of its life in Arizona. It needs some tlc, but overall is in great condition.
From Tucson, we met up with Barry & Donna and Roger & Bonnie, at river island state park, and then travelled toward home with them. The TW towed great, and the trip went well, except for a couple of issues caused by the bumpy roads. Initially the fridge did not work very well, but after being burped on the bumpy roads it is now working fine.
At some point in its life the TW had the rear window removed and a wooden/aluminum piece with an air conditioner in the middle of it installed in its place. I would like to replace the window, so I am looking for a window. the number on the body below the window is 1009-2140. so if anyone knows where I can get one please let me know We are looking forward to using the TW soon.
Lee & Judy
wagndragnfc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
early tradewind, tradewind