Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2020, 12:10 PM   #321
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Kansas City , Missouri
So Dan, here's my attempt at rock guard hold-down overkill.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	181009 rock shield bar 1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	378697  
Slats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 01:31 PM   #322
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats View Post
So Dan, here's my attempt at rock guard hold-down overkill.

Dale- I like that, but maybe one more latch in the middle and another cotter pin on the end of the rod, you know just to make sure.

I didn’t post my rock guard repair until after we went camping last week and went 4 miles on the squigliest, roughest gravel road and neither latch loosened. Quite frankly I was surprised they didn’t come loose.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:03 AM   #323
1 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Mount Holly , NC
Thank you in advance

I stumbled upon your thread researching what I can about 60's tradewind. I'm in the process of purchasing my neighbors 65' tradewind. It appears to be in good shape, from what I've researched online what to look for. Millwork original wood, fixtures work, body in good shape. I have noticed something's that need to be addressed but reading your thread has helped me determine how to approach. Look forward to seeing more and I appreciate what you're doing. Thanks again!

BTW, first AS and never RV'd before...I'm excited.
Jimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:57 PM   #324
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Greetings and welcome to the vintage Airstream hobby. You stumbled on to the right tread. Touring Dan has improved every aspect of his 66 Trade Wind. I'm sure he would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

I had a 66 Trade Wind but traded it for a 75 Overlander. Needed something to do I guess. But I have fond memories of the Trade Wind.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 05:44 AM   #325
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Akron , Ohio
An old post... but are you saying McMaster Carr has replacement toilet trim rings? I live right by them. I need one.
Darebren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:52 PM   #326
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Dan's '66 Tradewind Improvements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darebren View Post
An old post... but are you saying McMaster Carr has replacement toilet trim rings? I live right by them. I need one.

No. I replaced the toilet with a “Curve” porta potty where I needed enlarge the opening in the console to match the new toilet. I purchased the trim to cover the raw edge of the cutout in the console. Here is a photo.

DanClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0112.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	380398
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0112.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	380394  
Old 12-31-2020, 11:37 PM   #327
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimber View Post
I stumbled upon your thread researching what I can about 60's tradewind. I'm in the process of purchasing my neighbors 65' tradewind. It appears to be in good shape, from what I've researched online what to look for. Millwork original wood, fixtures work, body in good shape. I have noticed something's that need to be addressed but reading your thread has helped me determine how to approach. Look forward to seeing more and I appreciate what you're doing. Thanks again!

BTW, first AS and never RV'd before...I'm excited.

Jimber- Sorry I didn’t respond sooner. I just noticed your entry. Glad to hear you have your first Airstream and are a newbie to RVing. Have you done any tent camping? I did lots of tent camping before my Airstream. I still do when I go off solo.

The Tradewind is one of the best Airstreams ever. It is a great size with lots of storage.

Please provide some photos when you can. Looking forward to helping you learn about your Airstream.

Dan
Old 02-06-2021, 09:26 AM   #328
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
NOVI , MI
Dan - I spent my morning reading through your thread as I plan my projects for my 1961 TW that we purchased in fairly original condition last September.

I have a lot of great ideas for the projects I know we need to do and additional ideas for great extras from this thread.

I am missing a part of the belly pan under the back bathroom area and need to perform some frame repair and insulation installation when I drop the full pan. Your posts will be helpful for us when we patch the pan. I am sure I will be back asking quite a few questions as the weather warms up in Michigan and we kick our work into high gear.

Thank you for your attention to detail and knowledge sharing!

Ann
Oceana24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:19 PM   #329
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
You are very welcome Ann. That is the reason behind these threads- to document what we have done and help out the next Airstream builder so that the wheel doesn’t need to be reinvented.

I might suggest you start a thread for your project trailer. You could start with photos. This will help others see what you have and you will get better feedback.

I see you live in Michigan. I grew up in the Detroit area and still have a sister in Milan and a brother in Millington. We usually head up to the UP to camp in July or August.

Glad that you will be building your Tradewind for the long haul. I am building mine so that it will last for the next 50 years. I really think that you can make them better than new. By that I mean that they can be completely modern and reliable yet simple with access to make them repairable. Our Airstreams have stuff that you can’t get on a new Airstream- like disc brakes, a 2,000 watt inverter that will run everything, 300 Ah of lithium batteries and an air conditioner that will run all night off the lithium batteries.

Welcome to AirForums. I suspect your father and uncle may come around to your way of thinking after while.

Dan
Old 02-13-2021, 12:33 PM   #330
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
NOVI , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
You are very welcome Ann. That is the reason behind these threads- to document what we have done and help out the next Airstream builder so that the wheel doesn’t need to be reinvented.

I might suggest you start a thread for your project trailer. You could start with photos. This will help others see what you have and you will get better feedback.

I see you live in Michigan. I grew up in the Detroit area and still have a sister in Milan and a brother in Millington. We usually head up to the UP to camp in July or August.

Glad that you will be building your Tradewind for the long haul. I am building mine so that it will last for the next 50 years. I really think that you can make them better than new. By that I mean that they can be completely modern and reliable yet simple with access to make them repairable. Our Airstreams have stuff that you can’t get on a new Airstream- like disc brakes, a 2,000 watt inverter that will run everything, 300 Ah of lithium batteries and an air conditioner that will run all night off the lithium batteries.

Welcome to AirForums. I suspect your father and uncle may come around to your way of thinking after while.

Dan
Thank you for your thoughtful responses on both of my recent posts on the forums. I think I will start my own thread. I had not thought of doing it before since I feel have nothing to teach but I like the idea of using it to learn and document our journey.

I live pretty close to your siblings so please let me know the next time you are on the area. At this point we exclusively camp in Michigan but looking forward to expanding that come 2022 in this trailer. The furthest north I am camping this year is St. Ignace.

I might take your suggestion of not going into our walls per your response to my other post. That is the main area where my father and I jad disagreed. I figured we had to update the wiring especially since we know there are mice getting in currently and he does not want to tear it apart (technically neither do I since it's beautiful). I did read through the Around the World #6768 thread per the author's suggestion to find a way to minimize removal of skins/gutting if we have to go in. I told my mom I hope the mice are thoughtful and only eating the belly pan area insulation since we are dropping the pan soon anyway. We will have our electrician test for shorts once the snow melts. I plan to add some wiring (eventually some sort of AC unit, some USB ports, and wiring for the refrigerator, water pump, and stove) and try to figure out the rewiring the PO did when adding the water heater and power jack (picture below - behind the gaucho).

I will call Colin as well regarding the axle to save some money replacing it so we can spend that elsewhere.

I am going to read through your posts again regarding adding a different style toilet too and using the black tank as your gray. With my furnace duct work I will have a hard time adding one and after searching tank supplier sites I realize I will have to make a custom tank. My black sits above above floor so I am not sure if that will cause issues using it for the shower too. As I continue my research I may reach out to you directly for a couple questions (picture below).

Thank You

AnnClick image for larger version

Name:	20210211_125958.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	388645Click image for larger version

Name:	20210211_125315.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	388646
Old 02-13-2021, 01:33 PM   #331
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
NOVI , MI
I realized right after my last post that the shower would back up due to gravity. Please excuse my brief forgetfulness about basic science as I continue to look fora gray tank.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:14 PM   #332
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceana24 View Post
Thank you for your thoughtful responses on both of my recent posts on the forums. I think I will start my own thread. I had not thought of doing it before since I feel have nothing to teach but I like the idea of using it to learn and document our journey.

I live pretty close to your siblings so please let me know the next time you are on the area. At this point we exclusively camp in Michigan but looking forward to expanding that come 2022 in this trailer. The furthest north I am camping this year is St. Ignace.

I might take your suggestion of not going into our walls per your response to my other post. That is the main area where my father and I jad disagreed. I figured we had to update the wiring especially since we know there are mice getting in currently and he does not want to tear it apart (technically neither do I since it's beautiful). I did read through the Around the World #6768 thread per the author's suggestion to find a way to minimize removal of skins/gutting if we have to go in. I told my mom I hope the mice are thoughtful and only eating the belly pan area insulation since we are dropping the pan soon anyway. We will have our electrician test for shorts once the snow melts. I plan to add some wiring (eventually some sort of AC unit, some USB ports, and wiring for the refrigerator, water pump, and stove) and try to figure out the rewiring the PO did when adding the water heater and power jack (picture below - behind the gaucho).

I will call Colin as well regarding the axle to save some money replacing it so we can spend that elsewhere.

I am going to read through your posts again regarding adding a different style toilet too and using the black tank as your gray. With my furnace duct work I will have a hard time adding one and after searching tank supplier sites I realize I will have to make a custom tank. My black sits above above floor so I am not sure if that will cause issues using it for the shower too. As I continue my research I may reach out to you directly for a couple questions (picture below).

Thank You

AnnAttachment 388645Attachment 388646

Ann

Definitely you should create your own thread. Others will then be able to learn from it.

Electrical- Vintage Airstreams are incredibly simple electrically. Someone should get a voltmeter and learn how to use it. Utube is your friend.
120v- Only used for the converter(battery charger), receptacles, water heater (sometimes) refrigerator and AC. There may not be wiring in place presently to operate AC and the fridge.
12v- Operates everything else in the trailer. It is very easy to add additional 12v and USB outlets. Here again, Utube is your friend.
I recommend someone in your family learn some electrical basics. This will safe you money now and allow you to troubleshoot electrical problems in the future while camping.
The electrical stuff you will need is very inexpensive. I replaced my original 120v panel box for about $20 from Lowe’s. The Blue Sea 12v distribution panel was about $30. The Progressive Dynamics converter (made in Michigan) was about $200.

I don’t know much about black and grey water tanks. You have an existing toilet and black water tank; I would use them. I would install a custom made grey water tank(s) in the 4” area under the shower. I would reach out to Colin Hyde or another experienced vintage expert who has already solved this problem. No sense in reinventing the wheel.

I am very biased. I don’t like normal RV AC units. They are loud and very inefficient. I use a 5,000 btu/hr window unit in our Tradewind and I am in the process of installing a 12,000 btu/hr mini split heat pump in our larger Airstream. It is extremely quiet and very efficient.

So glad to hear that you plan to keep your Airstream for ever. If you renovate it there is no reason it won’t last you a lifetime. That is my plan.

Call me anytime. I will help you all I can. I will contact you when we head up to Michigan.

Dan
Old 02-24-2021, 11:25 PM   #333
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia

ADDING A TOYOTA/ZAMP 1,000 WATT GENERATOR

We prefer to camp without hookups and we are reasonably well equipped to do so as we have 3 BB lithium batteries and a 2,000 watt inverter.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0358.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	389341Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0371.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	333.6 KB
ID:	389353
We also have 400 watts of solar on our TV and 200 watts of portable solar.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0368.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	322.1 KB
ID:	389342Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0369.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	505.5 KB
ID:	389343
Even though we have lots of solar, sometimes we camp in the shade (preferred) or it is cloudy and need a generator to keep the batteries charged up. We generally bring our 1,000 watt Honda generator with us, but I became aware of a product available called a CarGenerator which used your car battery connected to a Zamp 1,000 watt pure sign inverter.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0370.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	389344
I had my old Zamp inverter since I upgraded to a Samlex 2,000 watt inverter, so I permanently installed it in our Tundra, complete with a remote on/off switch.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0362.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	361.4 KB
ID:	389345Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0363.jpg
Size:	299.6 KB
ID:	389346
Now I have gotten some comments from forum members that the environment may be too hot or wet for the inverter or the alternator won’t last as long. We shall see.
The output from the inverter goes to a new 120v connection at the front of the Tradewind.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0367.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	337.3 KB
ID:	389347Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0364.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	272.7 KB
ID:	389348
The electrical penetration is next to the water pump and goes along the very small utility chase along with the water line and solar cables to a switch that allows the front electrical connector to feed the converter.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0365.jpg
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	389349Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0359.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	397.1 KB
ID:	389350Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0360.jpg
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	389351
When it is connected and the inverter turned on the converter operates and charges the batteries the same as if the Tradewind was connected to shore power.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0366.jpg
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	389352
We will just have to wait and see how this setup works, but I am definitely leaving my Honda generator and gas at home.

Dan
Old 02-25-2021, 06:55 AM   #334
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Kansas City , Missouri
You are one of my Airstream idols, Dan. I'm taking notes.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:16 AM   #335
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Thanks for the kind words, Dale. It seems like very few of my hair brained ideas ever work out. We shall see on this one.

Dan
Old 02-27-2021, 07:20 PM   #336
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Don't worry, it will work fine. You can spend a long time in the woods as long as you can catch some sunshine now and then.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:59 PM   #337
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
GAUCHO REPAIR

The front gaucho makes intro a sort of double bed. I did some repairs a few years ago after it felt like it was coming apart and the last time we went camping in August it had that similar feeling that some of the parts were loose and maybe my repairs were not completed as well as they should have been. Well I decided to take a look at it today to see what the problem was. The good news is that my former repairs have held up well. The problem was one of the hinges that secures the sliding bed frame to the structure had broken. Here is the broken hinge.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7583.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	338.2 KB
ID:	389913Hey, it lasted 55 years! It doesn’t owe me anything. Folks unfortunately are a bit bigger than they were 55 years ago. Looking at it another way, it wouldn’t have broken if we didn’t go out and camp in it.
So off to Lowe’s I went to see if I could match the broken hinge with a new one. Here you go. I got three strap hinges. They were just about identical.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7584.jpg
Size:	397.6 KB
ID:	389914 Looking at the broken hinge you can see Airstream only used 2 out of the 3 holes to secure the hinge. There wasn’t enough wood there to install the third screw. I added a small piece of 3/8” oak so I could install the third screw. Here is how it looks all installed.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7585.jpg
Size:	319.0 KB
ID:	389915Here is how it looks with the bed frame secured to the structure.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7586.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	325.1 KB
ID:	389916The gaucho is now ready for another 55 years of camping.

Dan
Old 03-05-2021, 02:54 PM   #338
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Kansas City , Missouri
You're a sensible sort, Dan. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it is broke, fix it. Not a bad mantra. Problem is, after I gutted Hal, visions (hallucinations?) of what to do with that clean slate took over, so the gaucho got piled up against the wall of Hal's new home and I bought a telescoping table pedestal. But I've thus far resisted the temptation to offer the bed slides and other stuff to someone who might need them, thinking I'll repurpose them in the middle of the trailer, the formal bedroom-to-be. Of course, you've been out camping in your trailer the whole time.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:06 PM   #339
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia

I generally show photos that show what repair or improvement I am working on, but nowhere in this thread is there a compilation of interior photos. The interior is reasonably original except for a couple of light fixtures, the fridge and toilet, soft goods, plumbing fixtures and flooring. Here are photos I took today.

Name:	IMG_7587.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	389990Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7588.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	321.5 KB
ID:	389991Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7592.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	389993Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7589.jpg
Size:	284.6 KB
ID:	389994Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7591.jpg
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	389995Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7590.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	294.5 KB
ID:	389996Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7593.jpg
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	389997Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7594.jpg
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	389998Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7595.jpg
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	389999
Old 03-05-2021, 09:28 PM   #340
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
While I am talking about Airstream photos, here are some of my favorite exterior photos from travels with our Tradewind.

Name:	IMG_0261.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	364.3 KB
ID:	390000Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2960.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	390001Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0318.jpg
Size:	319.1 KB