Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2018, 10:58 PM   #321
Rivet Master

1970 25' Caravanner
Incline Village , Nevada
i like your idea to remove that big cabinet. certainly would open things up more. You could still make space under counter and sink if you need it.
Jeremy9107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:49 AM   #322
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
Lawrence , Kansas
Opening up the trailer is a great idea. We did it a little differently than what you are thinking. We wanted to leave the back wall to facilitate bathroom privacy. Also that cabinetry provided great storage. What we wound up doing is removing the street side bulkhead. What ever you decide, opening the trailer up is a great idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170727_105926.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	322760   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180404_145640.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	322761  

Name:	Resized_20180904_094307001.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	322762  
ttbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:30 PM   #323
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1966 24' Tradewind
Columbus , Ohio
Open up bathroom

I am paranoid about leaks after what I started with so I opened the bathroom up completely.

Custom shower pan on one side, small sink and cupboard to hide water heater opposite, and toilet against the back window.

The frame was modified/rebuilt to hold the tank back there and I have mini blinds in between the glass and screen so it does offer complete privacy.

It's perfect. There's never enough space for hanging wet clothes and now I have plenty. Plus a laundry basket for dirty clothes.

Just had another shower pan made for the new one and other than moving the toilet a little to the side it'll be the same layout.
Mtmanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:42 PM   #324
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I might add that my 75 Overlander rear bath does have a more open layout. The vanity runs the whole length of the back of the trailer. I do have one small closet in the bath for maybe PJs and the like. With the overhead lockers back there, their is plenty of room to store junk. My Overlander does not have hardly any rear cargo or bumper storage areas. It is all used up with plumbing for the rear bath.

I did open up the Trade Wind bath a bit with again a long vanity. And then two small cabinets on each end of the vanity. I had one small wardrobe behind the toilet, and that phone booth shower stall I made.

See photos...

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1709 As found bath.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	322815   Click image for larger version

Name:	1710 Bath Locker over Tub (Small).JPG
Views:	57
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	322816  

Name:	1507 Bath Layout (Small).jpg
Views:	57
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	322817  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:58 AM   #325
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
We have that big cabinet and of course it is full of stuff plus our 120v panel box is on the wall inside the cabinet and there is a vent pipe (see photo). I am really not sure this vent is even needed as there is a vent next to the kitchen sink and one next to the shower.

We like the cabinet as we use it and are used to it being there. I like open but an open bathroom is not a big deal to me. I don’t spend much time in there.

Since you have moved your electrical panel and have the option of not having the cabinet then just do what you want.

Some folks complain about the big window but I like it. I like the natural light and it makes the bathroom more open in my eyes. Good for ventilation also.

DanClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2234.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	322860
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:45 AM   #326
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttbikes View Post
Opening up the trailer is a great idea. We did it a little differently than what you are thinking. We wanted to leave the back wall to facilitate bathroom privacy. Also that cabinetry provided great storage. What we wound up doing is removing the street side bulkhead. What ever you decide, opening the trailer up is a great idea.

I will leave the bathroom wall for privacy and just delete the cabinet behind it, replacing it with a countertop sink. I may make the top 1/3 of the wall out of lexan or plexiglass just for the effect of light and openness. Just thinking out loud here.

By the way, what all do you store in the cabinet? I don't want to wind up going, "Dang, wish I would have thought this through a little better."

I like your bedroom bulkhead removal and the cushions. Maybe Terry and I can hop over to Lawrence some day soon to look at your handiwork in person.
Slats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:31 AM   #327
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Lawrence , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats View Post
I will leave the bathroom wall for privacy and just delete the cabinet behind it, replacing it with a countertop sink. I may make the top 1/3 of the wall out of lexan or plexiglass just for the effect of light and openness. Just thinking out loud here.

By the way, what all do you store in the cabinet? I don't want to wind up going, "Dang, wish I would have thought this through a little better."

I like your bedroom bulkhead removal and the cushions. Maybe Terry and I can hop over to Lawrence some day soon to look at your handiwork in person.
The storage area behind the street side bathroom bulk head is home for five storage areas. 1). I left the electrical box where it was orginally, because it seemed well hidden, yet still easy to get to. 2). The open space on the top of the cabinet is used to store towels. They are easy to get to and look decorative. Behind the towels we have a small hand-head vacuum cleaner hidden away. 3). The two middle cabints are for my wifes tolietries. We kept the orginal sliding trays for tooth paste etc. 4). The larger top middle cabinet is for her hair dryer, mirror ect. There's a lot of space in that little cubby hole. 5). The longer cabinet is used for hanging clothes, and to store a small TV and toliet paper. Our orginal apparoch was to keep the trailer completely orginal. We figured Airstream knew what they were doing so why change it. Plus, we looked at whole trailer as an antique. However, that concept was modifed as we used the trailer and incorporated small changes such as Fantastic Fans, etc. As we continued to use the trailer, we realized some of the larger things could also be better. We took out the very uncomfortable gaucho bed and replaced it with two recliners. (That was a great improvement). When I was repairing the street side bulk head, we realized that the trailer was much more functional, brighter, airer and attactive without it. Not having the bulk head there even allowed us to have a place where people could sit and talk. The cushion area now doubles as couches during the daytime and twin beds at night. We are winding up with a trailer that is reminescent of the past but with many improvements that make it more liveable.

We are always glad to show our trailer, and you are more than welcome to stop by and see it. Be prepaired. If you own a vintage trailer, it's rare to be at a campsite and not have someone ask to see inside. Even taking the approach of using the trailer before deciding what changes to make, we've made some mistakes. We had the orginal gocho recovered, and then we decided to take it out. I restored the orginal vents and later replaced them with Fantaistic Fans. There were many other experiences of "I wish I had not done that". I might also tell you that one one best things I did was join the Vintage Trailer Club a subset of the WBCCI. This allowed me access to other vintage trailer owners and to draw from their experiances. People who restore vintage trailers love to talk about what they have learned. There is a VAC ralley in Beatrice NE this weekend with about twenty vintage Airstreams in attendance. The owners love to show their trailers and share what they have learned. There is always an open house at these rallies, and visitors are always welcome. PM me and we can set up a time for you and Terry to stop by.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:35 AM   #328
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Lawrence , Kansas
P.S. Do not forget to add a back up camera before you put the end caps up for good.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:47 PM   #329
Rivet Master

1970 25' Caravanner
Incline Village , Nevada
ttbikes. good suggestion about getting the back up camera up. do you have any suggestions for model?
Old 09-22-2018, 08:46 AM   #330
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Lawrence , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy9107 View Post
ttbikes. good suggestion about getting the back up camera up. do you have any suggestions for model?
At the risk of way laying Stats thread, I went with the Voyager WVOS511 Wireless Back-Up Observation System with 5.6" Color LCD, and I am happy with it. When I looked into it, it seemed to the me the Furrion and Voyager were the most used. Both cameras function while driving. The Furrion had distance markings that the Voyager did not, but some people had said the Furrion cut more while driving, but reportly that is a problem the Furrion was fixing. I must also note that I was looking at wireless only. If you have all your panels off or your cabinets out, that puts wired systems into play. Also, many people had engineered systems at a much cheaper price that they were very happy with. There are several Airforum threads on the subject. The one thing I will say for sure is that, in my world, a backup camera has become a must have. I now have no blind spots, I know what is direcgly behind me, and it is really helps when backing up. When my wife is helping me, I can hear what she is saying, (Voyager has a one way mike) and I can always see where she is standing.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:14 PM   #331
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Kansas City , Missouri
Hijacking this thread would be a lot like carjacking a Ford Pinto.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:42 PM   #332
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Kansas City , Missouri
pinched brake wires

In finally getting around to hooking up my electric brakes, the guy that is helping me made a startling discovery. One of the Dexter axles I purchased not only has sledge hammer marks on the shock mount, but also had the brake wires pinched between the backing plate and the axle tube flange. I did not notice this when the axle was delivered. Had the guy helping me not noticed the pinched wires they would have almost certainly shorted out, causing brake failure. As you can see from the picture of the removed wires, one has copper showing through the pinched insulation. One more reason for ordering axles through a local dealer instead of some distant source. The guys at Croft Trailer Supply here in K.C. would have never let something like this go by unnoticed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	180926 01 pinched brake wires.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	361.5 KB
ID:	324015   Click image for larger version

Name:	180926 02 pinched brake wires.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	439.9 KB
ID:	324016  

Old 09-30-2018, 09:02 AM   #333
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
My axle came with the shock mounts welded on for both left side. Instead of a left & a right. I had to use a stack of washers to make it work.
I never saw it until the time of installation.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:08 AM   #334
Rivet Master

1970 25' Caravanner
Incline Village , Nevada
Good catch on those wires. Agree with go local if can. I believe customer service is best served face to face.

I have same Dextor axles, and although pleased overall, wish they would have come without any mounting holes on the mounting plates since the hole locations are not universal.

PS. Any idea where to come by that wire holder attachment on the back of the wheel assembly. I am missing one.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:43 PM   #335
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1968 26' Overlander
Detroit , Michigan
Dale - I've been off the forums over the summer and can't believe how much progress you've made. Wow, hats off to you for all your quality work. Glad to see you found some help with the wiring. I know you had several questions about the process. I'm just now starting to hook up various components and it's a relief to see it come together as planned.
Atomic_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:45 PM   #336
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Kansas City , Missouri
Good to hear from you Bryan. I was beginning to worry that you called it quits and bought a Jayco.

I know the feeling of seeing light at the end of the wiring. The other day I hooked up a little 12v tractor battery to the electrical panel end of my water pump wire, stepped over to where the water pump switch will go, touched those two wires together and, eureka, the old water pump I had hooked up at the front of the trailer sprang to life. I know I could have checked the current at the business end with a meter, but the way I did it was way more fun.

We need to get in touch with TTBikes over in Lawrence (you listening in here TT?) and set up our second annual fall meeting of the KC Airstreamers down at the Roasterie. I'm game for pulling the Tradewind in from Pleasant Hill and I would love to see the current state of both your and TT's handiwork. The weekend of the 13th or 20th will work for me.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:42 PM   #337
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Dale

Sounds like a fun meet up. Too bad I live so far away. I would love to see all three trailers and meet ttbikes and Bryan.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:51 PM   #338
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Kansas City , Missouri
Dan -

It is only 983 miles - a hop skip and a jump for a seasoned 'Streamer like you.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:47 PM   #339
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1968 26' Overlander
Detroit , Michigan
Good idea, Dale. The 20th would work for me. How about Tim?
Atomic_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:16 PM   #340
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Kansas City , Missouri
Sounds like we are on for the 20th. I sent a pm to Tim, but haven't heard back yet.