Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2015, 12:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Billings , Montana
Brand new to this!

Hi Airstream People!

I bought a 1963 Tradewind out of a field in Wyoming this summer and I've started renovation -- it was gutted and rotten. My current trouble is the old astrodome was essentially a wood/alumimum framed hole. The original aluminum frame was there encased in wood, but tragically, no lifters. I have one completely original (and working!) Herr vent in the rear. I've already put a fantastic fan into the middle vent, after removing the disgusting old AC unit.

So here is my question: Can I put another fantastic fan in the rear hole, re-purpose the lifters up front in the astrodome and buy a new cover from vintage trailer supplies? Does this sound viable? Will the lifters from the back work up in the front astrodome?

-Mark

P.S. My blog is AirStream Padawan - Blog
micaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Congrats on the new Tradewind and welcome to the forum.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I will say that I don't think you need 3 fantastic vents. The main purpose is to bring in new air and I believe the 900 cfm airflow from one vent will be adequate. I was going to replace all three of my vents with Fantastic, but have yet to do this. We are just not in the trailer at all in the heat of the day and it seems to cool down enough in the evening so that the inside temperature is not to bad. We use a endless breeze fan, made by Fantastic, to cool us off for sleeping as needed. Two out of the three Herr vents work and I am just not sure if I would like the look of Fantastic fans in their place. If I could just install the motor and blade, then I might consider it.

I work on mine some, but mostly just camp in it. I try to make improvements, so it may never be finished. I just finished installing a fridge vent to improve fridge performance, just in time for the arrival of cooler air
so I will be ready for the hot air next summer.

Glad to have you with us. It is a long ride but a fun one and never boring.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:55 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Northborough , Massachusetts
Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by micaso View Post
Hi Airstream People!

I bought a 1963 Tradewind out of a field in Wyoming this summer and I've started renovation -- it was gutted and rotten. My current trouble is the old astrodome was essentially a wood/alumimum framed hole. The original aluminum frame was there encased in wood, but tragically, no lifters. I have one completely original (and working!) Herr vent in the rear. I've already put a fantastic fan into the middle vent, after removing the disgusting old AC unit.

So here is my question: Can I put another fantastic fan in the rear hole, re-purpose the lifters up front in the astrodome and buy a new cover from vintage trailer supplies? Does this sound viable? Will the lifters from the back work up in the front astrodome?

-Mark

P.S. My blog is AirStream Padawan - Blog
I'm not clear what you mean by "lifters".
Problem #1:
The Herr vent is 12" square, and the Fantastic vent is 14" square... sou you would need to cut out the Herr vent in order to install the Fantastic fan/vent.
Problem #2:
Herr vent is aluminum, trailer skin is aluminum, Fantastic fan/vent is plastic.
The difference in temperature coefficient of expansion for the different materials (plastic vs aluminum) is going to cause a lot of maintenance to keep those transition areas leak proof. Generally you will need to clean off old sealant and reseal every 2 years to avoid leaks. With aluminum on aluminum that service interval is quite a bit longer (5-7 years)
Recommendation:
Use the Herr vent if you can, find missing parts from people on this forum...
I can probably hook you up with someone I know that is parting out one of similar vintage (68, 28-30'). Don't wait... some parts will go fast. (A tree fell on it but there is a lot of good stuff including at least 2 of the Herr vents... plus vintage skin material, etc. I have interest in some of the parts myself.)

Chuck
cwbiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:19 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Billings , Montana
Thanks. I found aftermarket lifters from Inland RV. They are the two pieces that crank the vent open; kind of the whole knob assembly in the vent. There is two per vent/astradome. If your friend has them, let me know. I'd be curious how much he/she is asking for them.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Herr vents

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbiii View Post
I can probably hook you up with someone I know that is parting out one of similar vintage (68, 28-30'). Don't wait... some parts will go fast. (A tree fell on it but there is a lot of good stuff including at least 2 of the Herr vents... plus vintage skin material, etc. I have interest in some of the parts myself.)

Chuck
I would be interested in purchasing a Herr vent from your friend and possibly some other parts. Sorry about the tree falling on it.

Thanks for your help Chuck.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote