Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2017, 03:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
oberlin , Kansas
Black water tank

I need to find a dealer for a Black water tank for 66 Tradewind. VTS does not carry, Inland RV is out and their fiberglass vendor went out of business. I live in NW Kansas. Thanks, Kelly
pearl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
What is the problem with your tank. Have you removed the belly pan yet to thoroughly have a good look at it? I thought mine was leaking but it really was my shower drain trap. See some of my last posts on my thread.

Good luck, Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi pearl66: It is my humble opinion the black water tank in the 66 Trade Wind is wholly inadequate for the intended purpose. It is not obvious to me how the original black tank drained solid waste. TouringDan re-purposed his black tank into a gray water tank, which makes sense. And he utilized the Curve toilet that doesn't need a black tank.

The rear bath of my trailer had a lot of problems due to a heavy, leaking toilet, a rusted out black tank holding pan, and a rotted out bathroom floor. It was a big project to re-build all of this, but I did end up with a new black and gray tank, and a new rear bath.

I installed a new black tank in the son's 69 Globetrotter. That trailer utilizes an "above floor" black tank. It was a much smaller project than my Trade Wind.
Many years of Airstreams, usually smaller models, have above floor black tanks with "shorty" RV toilets mounted to the top of them. That might be another option for your project.

I don't know the scope of your project or why you seek a original configuration black tank. But I submit there are better ways to improve your Trade Wind bath.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1311 Tank Black Removed (Small).JPG
Views:	88
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	290820  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:47 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
oberlin , Kansas
Thank you Dan, I will do that. I see another post I received stated you converted your black to a grey, which would be nice to have. I had a steady drip from back of the tank near the valve. The belly pan was rusted pretty bad especially under the leak area. I have the tank, maybe I should fill it up to see if it is actually the tank leaking. I would love to have it converted, if I can get a toilet that doesn't need it. Kelly
pearl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Pearl66

My gray water tank did not leak. The leak was from the shower ptrap. I sealed the fitting in the bottom of the shower ptrap to stop the leak.

I replaced the regular toilet with a Curve porta potty so that the black water tank now becomes only a gray water tank. I had to seal the hole in the top of the black water tank but it was pretty simple. The porta potty works fine for us. All the details are explained in my thread "Dan's 66 Tradewind Improvements".

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote