Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1959-69 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2016, 03:35 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
versailles , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
It is a bit of a chore to open and close the windows, but overall the huge, square edged curved glass windows are one of the best features of the 66 Tradewind. Unless the heat and humidity are oppressive, we much prefer opening the windows and listening to the pleasant sounds of nature over the noise of an air conditioner.

Nice job on the latches. Mine work fine, but now I am feeling guilty about how they look.

Dan
Dan, you're right of course. The windows are one of the vintage aspects that we liked about the trailer initially. But I get anxious every time I open or close them. DH prefers ac, but it gets too cold for me so oftentimes I like the windows open. I had the new ac running today while I was working in the trailer because my 75 # dog was out there with me. As soon as she came in I turned it off. I was doing more work on the window frames. It's hard to make them look clean and nice.
hippiechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:10 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Slats, I think the shallow end of my tank is about 4" deep. It was well inside the 5" frame rail. I think it is important the toilet is mounted over the deep end of the tank. But gray water drains and the vent pipes can penetrate the tank where ever it is handy.

I've put a little piece of red tape on the corners of my Corning curve glass window panes as they are hard to see. I've bonked my head on them more than once. The window by the entry door is the biggest offender.

Hey, has anyone developed a technique to operate all three window cranks at once? Toes, teeth, forehead? I was just wondering.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:31 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
versailles , Kentucky
Still working in the heat. Cleaned and shined all the interior Windows and aluminum trim. Cleaned some of the bath fiberglass but that did not go so well yet. Got two windows refurbed with new clips and new gaskets. They look so nice. Also the dry flush toilet was delivered so we are "syphering" how to work that into the fiberglass surround. Going to take some work to make it fit and look presentable. We have made the flooring decision. Since we have already purchased (a good long time ago) the cork patterned Allure Trafficmaster we are going to install it. Though I have read about the problems with gapping with temperature changes. We are going to let it float but if we have issues then we are planning to use the commercial carpet tiles. Also we received the order of Captain Tolleys so I'm off to research that a bit more. Going to try to post a video of a bit of the window refurb on another post. Here's a pic but not too clear.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:35 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
versailles , Kentucky
Front window before
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	266424  
Old 07-10-2016, 07:38 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
versailles , Kentucky
Back window after (forgot to take a before of the back window). Scrubbed, new gasket, new clips, refurbed latches. Got two done this afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	66
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	266425  
Old 07-11-2016, 06:20 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Did you have any trouble removing those clips? How did you remove them without risking the glass? I see new clips are available, but I haven't figured out a safe way to pry them off the glass. My clips look bad, see photo. (The clip is in the far upper left of the photo. The rear window is open.)

Nice job on the window clean up. It tanks just a ton of work to make one of these old trailers look nice again. But it's worth it.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1406 Window Seals Rear New.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	266520  
Old 07-12-2016, 06:56 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
versailles , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Did you have any trouble removing those clips? How did you remove them without risking the glass? I see new clips are available, but I haven't figured out a safe way to pry them off the glass. My clips look bad, see photo. (The clip is in the far upper left of the photo. The rear window is open.)

Nice job on the window clean up. It tanks just a ton of work to make one of these old trailers look nice again. But it's worth it.

David
Yes I couldn't even watch DH take the first one off. But he figured out a simple way. I actually posted a video but I don't think it will play. He used a small adjustable wrench. Holding it parallel to the glass on the inside edge of the glass, slip the wrench over the tab of the clip tighten the wrench but not too tight and then slowly spin the clip down and off the window. Worked easily on every clip without any damage to the glass.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:52 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Thanks. I know people do it, I have just not built up the courage to try to get them off.

David
Old 07-12-2016, 08:29 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
versailles , Kentucky
All windows done today including replacing two lexan panes with glass. The new glass is thicker so we had to spread the channels to make it fit. So the window frames are cleaned, new gaskets and clips and the latches were refurbed. It really makes a difference in the appearance of the trailer. Also I cleaned the bottom section of the fiberglass bath. Was this painted originally cause it started out dirty yellow and ended up the blue of the top section. Weird. Tomorrow it's back to chasing leaks. They are never ending.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	65
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	266616  
Old 07-21-2016, 06:29 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
versailles , Kentucky
More progress. Completed stripping and cleaning the roof section. Cleaned and sealed all marker lights, removed t.v. antenna mount (at least two tubes of caulk there), removed the radio antenna, sealed 100s of rivets with Capt Tolleys, new range hood vent installed, sealed shell to frame rear seam, sealed two side hatches and several windows, began working on awning mounts. Added a lock on the storage hatch cover on the curbside. Much of the bath disassembly is completed but that is on another thread. Ordered a new Atwood water heater, 2 vent stacks, license plate light, and a new rock guard. Today I took all the finishes to the local paint store. They have design services available to assist in paint selection. So we have the paint. Fifth Avenue (3/4) strength along with Stix tinted primer. We also received our new ceiling light covers from VTS. Haven't tried them out yet but they look pretty good. Just an update on our work. Pics to follow.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:35 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
versailles , Kentucky
Paint selection. California 3/4 strength Fifth Avenue matte super scrub.
Stix bonding primer.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	56
Size:	491.3 KB
ID:	267435  
Old 07-21-2016, 06:42 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
versailles , Kentucky
Quick shot of finishes. Curtain fabric with leaf pattern, gaucho fabric solid in right chair seat, cork pattern flooring and carpet tiles. The paint color is a grey/blue which is pulled from the leaf pattern. Also in the right chair is the refinished cabinetry color.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	52
Size:	385.0 KB
ID:	267436  
Old 07-22-2016, 07:02 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
You're a busy hippychick! Won't be long before your first trip in the Trade Wind.

I have the VTS replacement light fixtures in my trailer. They work good. I had a little cut and fit to get them in place. But they are much better than the old yellowed and cracked ones. I have a photo of the old ones, but not of the nice new ones. Oh well

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1309 Bath Mirror and Light.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	267512  
Old 07-22-2016, 07:32 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
versailles , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
You're a busy hippychick! Won't be long before your first trip in the Trade Wind.

I have the VTS replacement light fixtures in my trailer. They work good. I had a little cut and fit to get them in place. But they are much better than the old yellowed and cracked ones. I have a photo of the old ones, but not of the nice new ones. Oh well

David
I just can't wait to get to the point of putting the light covers on! We ordered some from another well known supplier and they were pretty much junk and two of them had cracks. And to add insult to injury we had to pay a restocking fee to boot. DH was off work last week so teamwork really makes things easier. This week the progress has slowed, he's back at work and the temps are soaring as is the humidity. Thanks for following our progress and for the encouragement. Valarie
Old 07-22-2016, 08:09 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
So I walked all the way to the shop and back. Uphill both ways. I took this photo of the new VTS plastic light fixture. It is hard to photograph at night.

It is great VTS "tools up" these replacement parts for our old Airstreams. I've spent way too much money at VTS. I haven't gotten a defective product from them. A good supplier for me.

The new light fixtures look much better, and provide much more light. I installed all 4 of them, living room, galley, bedroom, and bath. They are a simple ABS molded plastic piece, and easily trimmed to fit. It was money and time well spent in my view.

Today is the first time I've used "tung oil" on my wood cabinets. They were pretty dry. The oil soaks into the word and helps preserve it. Maybe they will last a bit longer now.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1607 Bath Light Fixture.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	267516  
Old 07-22-2016, 08:52 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
versailles , Kentucky
Lotta trouble for that picture! The lights look great. We ordered 5 of them.