Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1959-69 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2016, 04:08 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
versailles , Kentucky
Back in the saddle - cross post

Hi All, Hippiechick and Dave here. We bought our '66 Tradewind in 2010 and started combing these forums and asking lots of questions. Such a great source of info. Can't believe that was over 5 years ago. Anyway we started a full reno immediately and accomplished quite a lot. Then several other hobby projects presented themselves - mostly vintage Volkswagen stuff and home improvement projects. Needless to say we got sidetracked. We are finishing up a major refurb on a 1974 Volkswagen Riviera camper that we stumbled across about 10 miles from home. Guy was moving out of the country and needed to unload it. We will be putting it up for sale shortly. As soon as that is buttoned up I'm determined that we're gonna get the Tradewind done this summer. So I've been back on these forums to get info and motivation.

The things we have completed are axle upgrades (new dexter axles), new electrical converter, overhaul of electrical wiring with GFC outlets where needed, floor sections replaced where required, tongue and weight distributing hitch stripped and repainted, polished all interior hardware, refinished all cabinet doors, started sanding of cabinet frames, removed crank TV antennae from roof, shell seams sealed about 30%, both gauchos reupholstered with new foam, installed new gas lines for fridge, scrubbed bath fixtures and cabinetry, lots of other cleaning and scrubbing.

Big projects remaining - strip/repaint rear bumper, window seal replacement, 2 window glass replacements, flooring, add task lighting, a/c unit, furnace/heater, hot water heater, support pan for black water tank, tires, curtain fabrication and install, TV, possibly solar panels, countertop in sink area with new faucet, clean and shine shell, repair or replace canopy. Dave says "Please stop"after one last thing on the list - fill the fridge with beer.

Lots to do but looking forward to a "close to home" shakedown trip in the early fall. Lots of appreciation to all who post and answer questions here. Great source of inspiration and old fashion know-how. Advice is welcomed. Valarie

Will post pics in a day or two!
hippiechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I will be interested in seeing the photos of your project. I have a 66 Trade Wind also, but have not done as much as you folks have. The mid sized 24' Trade Wind is a nice size, not too small, not too big. I don't think your VW vans will pull it though.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1505 Home Curb Front.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	260508  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:16 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
versailles , Kentucky
Wow the polish on yours is amazing. We still have a long way to go. Have you replaced your a/c or furnace?
Old 04-12-2016, 06:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
The AC works, so it stays for now. It was installed in the late nineties according to the numbers I found on the unit.

I replaced the furnace with a standard Suburban NT 30. My 66 had this goofy heating system where the old furnace exhausted warm air in the galley, and then "sucked" cold return air through two floor vents. The vents were ducted under the floor back to the furnace. There were no duct work inside the trailer.

So I decided to exhaust warm air down to a under floor plenum, and then route warm air ducts under the floor all the way back to the bathroom and to the under floor waste water tank cavity (keep them from freezing.) The furnace install was a significant project.

I also did axles, brakes, subfloor repair, bathroom remodel, electrical, plumbing, waste water tanks, and new floor covering. Polishing was the last project I did.

What a money pit!

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1403 Furnace Plenum Under Floor.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	305.9 KB
ID:	260584   Click image for larger version

Name:	1403 Furnace Install Left Side.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	260585  

Old 04-14-2016, 08:48 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
versailles , Kentucky
Thanks for the pictures. This is something we will have to tackle before long. Not sure which way we will go as we don't plan to do a lot of cold weather camping but you never know.
Here are some pictures of ours in process

The first one has what one member of the this forum called a "patch only a mother could love" :-0. But since it doesn't leak we are not messing with it.
The second one is the PO's decorating. He was full timing it after a rough divorce. He actually hugged it just before we towed it home. He said "this trailer saved my life".
Hopefully we will have some after pics soon!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	032.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	260737   Click image for larger version

Name:	065.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	260738  

Name:	DSC00258.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	305.5 KB
ID:	260739   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00268.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	260740  

Name:	DSC00269.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	269.3 KB
ID:	260741   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00027.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	399.5 KB
ID:	260742  

Name:	DSC00036.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	330.1 KB
ID:	260743  
Old 04-15-2016, 06:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Thanks for posting the "as found" pictures of your 66 Trade Wind. I think all 50 year old campers have many needs. But Airstreams with their aluminum bodies seem to last longer than most other brands. The interior wood in your trailer seems nicer than what was in mine. I wonder if yours is the "International" version which had nicer cabinetry than the base trailer like mine is.

You know, a catalytic heater may serve you folks very well if you are not planning on spending the winter in Minnesota. My son has one in his 69 and seems to think it works well enough. Olympus makes them, and they are not as expensive as a furnace, and certainly easier to install. You might want to check them out down the road.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1507 Fridge Installed.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	260824  
Old 04-18-2016, 06:59 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
versailles , Kentucky
Does the catalytic heater go in the same place as the old furnace?
Old 04-18-2016, 07:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
A catalytic heater is a free standing appliance that can go anywhere. It needs a source of propane so putting it close to the old furnace makes sense. Some folks mount them to a vertical surface. They do need to be covered when not in use to keep the element clean. They radiate heat, there is no fan to move hot air around the trailer.

You can check one out here

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...y-heater/19334

David
Old 04-25-2016, 07:50 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
versailles , Kentucky
Ha! Got in the TW today. For two whole hours. I was sanding the cabinet frames to prep for staining. The doors are completed but it's been so long I'm really worried about matching the stain. The temps are unusually high here in KY for spring. Along With the eye, ear and breathing protection - can you spell SAUNA? But made a little headway. Gotta keep plugging along.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:34 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
No sauna here in Colorado. We had a monster snow storm April 16 weekend, like 46" of the stuff over the weekend. This picture of my deck ought to keep you cool. It's melting fast, but my yard is still white with snow.

I finished the belly pan replacement on the 69 Globetrotter. What a dirty hard job that was. Now I'm getting the 86 ready for a trip to the southwest. I'm anxious to hit the road and get away from the snow. Snow is a big part of mountain living and I really don't mind it.

Our Trade Wind is ready for the road. I guess the son is taking it to the sand dunes in southern Colorado. Beach party or something like that. He likes the Trade Wind better as it has air conditioning and a working fridge and bathroom.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1604 Snow on Deck.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	241.3 KB
ID:	261415  
Old 04-26-2016, 03:06 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
versailles , Kentucky
Yowza!! That's crazy snow. We lived in Cleveland Ohio for several years. Great place to live but i definitely feel your snow pain. Sounds like your son has the right idea maybe you should tag along . . . be the life of the beach party and the go to guy in case of Tradewind emergencies.
The belly pan thing - not looking forward to that. I had to get supplies so no sauna treatment today. Probably won't be back on it till next week. Thanks for "chilling" me out it's 89 here today.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:31 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Independence , Missouri
Dear Hippychick,
I have a VW Bus myself and a 62 TW. I'm working on mine too. I had to do a complete redo. Had to do a shell off. The shell is back on and walls are being fixed. Will be painting soon. I was hoping to stain the cabinets but I'm going to paint them instead.
Rachel
1962 Tradewind "Agnes"

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forum
Twinke58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:44 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
versailles , Kentucky
Twinke58 Shell off! That's a commitment. Glad you're through that phase. Fortunately that wasn't necessary for us. What process will you go thru for the painting? Have you decided on the color?
We just returned from a VW show. What fun VW enthusiasts are. We are selling one of our buses. A 1974 camper. Have you had your bus a while? The VW hobby is what always sidetracks us from completing our TW.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:58 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Independence , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiechick View Post
Twinke58 Shell off! That's a commitment. Glad you're through that phase. Fortunately that wasn't necessary for us. What process will you go thru for the painting? Have you decided on the color?
We just returned from a VW show. What fun VW enthusiasts are. We are selling one of our buses. A 1974 camper. Have you had your bus a while? The VW hobby is what always sidetracks us from completing our TW.

I'm just about to paint. Going with Home Depot Bear Paint called Sivler Drop semi gloss Eggshell. Using rollers. I had VW since 2001. The bus that I have for sale is a 73 transporter. Had her since 2004. Showed her a lot. Got a whole lot of trophies (a wall). There's a show where I live the month called the Mo Kan VW Show on May 20th through 22nd. I don't do to many because of my 2nd job and my comment to my officer duties in my WBCCI unit. Here's a pic of my bus and my trailer Agnes.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1462222651.342220.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	261728Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1462222680.506809.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	261729

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forum
Twinke58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:00 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
versailles , Kentucky
Sold our little VW camper this week. Yay, now we can move on to the AS full time. We hitched it up today and moved it around to face the garage to make it easier to access. It looked so much better hitched up. Dreaming of travels to come . . .
Old 05-23-2016, 07:54 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
versailles , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
A catalytic heater is a free standing appliance that can go anywhere. It needs a source of propane so putting it close to the old furnace makes sense. Some folks mount them to a vertical surface. They do need to be covered when not in use to keep the element clean. They radiate heat, there is no fan to move hot air around the trailer.

You can check one out here

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...y-heater/19334

David
Surprise, we have two catalytic heaters in our trailer. They were mounted by the door and in the bathroom. Can these old ones be used safely. I can post a pic tomorrow.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:20 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
Catalytic Heater

Back in the Dark Ages, 1979-1980, we lived in our 31 ft'er when my husband was a precommercial tree thinner (saving up $ to buy a farm). We lived on the Olympic Penninsula with frequent relocations.( This was an upgrade from a tent. Try 400 inches of rain a year, living in a tent, 2 in diapers. I will always be grateful for water that comes out of a tap, let alone running hot water!) Boondocking at it's finest.

Back to the thread... we had a Catalytic heater in those fancy digs and it was so useful! However, it stank to the high heavens when turned off every night. I was very fearful of carbon monoxide poisoning.

So, even if it is legal to install, I would reconsider. The smell and risk may not be worth it.

Susan
duncans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:08 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Catalytic heaters work great but garner high praise and dire warnings equally.

You MUST have venting in your trailer, motorhome, tent, home as it needs air to run and it needs to be able to vent or it will use up your air.

You SHOULD have a detector with a good battery.

The wicks or blankets can be too old or full of dust so check those first.

Newer ones have a oxygen shut down safety valve.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:23 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
So a previous owner already installed catalytic heaters in your trailer. Maybe you are all set. Now you have to learn about them and check them out. Our instructions say the heater is diminished capacity when the element gets dusty. Ours have a vinyl cover over them when not in use. I can't think of many more dusty environments than a vintage Airstream.

And yes, you must crack a window or open a roof vent when using the heater. II don't believe they create carbon monoxide, but they do consume oxygen.

David
Old 06-01-2016, 01:30 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
versailles , Kentucky
Progress report

So upon purchasing our Tradewind, in our blissful naïveté, we planned a "minor" refurb of cosmetics in and out and updating some of the critical systems. So fast forward we've gradually come to the realization that minor is now major. We have pretty much gutted the thing and are replacing the floor. The water damage was more extensive than we could accept. I know same sad story . . . So we have made progress 'cause I love me some good demolition. Well it's a little more complicated, more like dismantling as gently as possible. That's a little tougher. We have removed the cabinetry, the furnace, the hot water heater, the black tanks, the fresh water tank, the bathroom fixtures, etc, etc, etc. anyone need parts for furnace, hot water heater, air conditioner? We are replacing these appliances. If so let us know. Trying to post pics - anyone else having trouble with this?