Old 05-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Tehachapi , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
Hi Debbie. So good to hear from you. I'd left you a phone msg. some time ago to ask you about your TradeWind. As of now, yours is the oldest known CA built '59 TradeWind. I'd love to know more about your beauty. it looks just like mine with the exception of the dual mount antenna on the front. I'd love to know more about it and see some interior pictures.

Brad
FF
Hello. Yes, I do have pics of inside if you look at the part of this website that has the ADS for vintage ones. But I am embarrassed as to the look of the inside- I have a lot of cleaning to do. For a few years the trailer was lent to a homeless family who had absolutely no clue or respect for the trailer. They put the kitchen table and twin bed foundations outside and those things are now gone. The kids put stickers everywhere, When I finally got my trailer back- I screamed so loud I lost my voice. These people had no idea. I am still sad about it, but I cannot turn back time. I hope to find a real home for it, someone who will restore it. I can try to clean up as much as I can prior to any future sale. Since I cannot afford to fix it up on my own- plan B is to find the right person who will. If you have further advice- please call
661-343-7317.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:13 PM   #16
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Hi Debbie. I looked through and thoroughly studied your pictures. Yours is the closest trailer I have found that most resembles mine, very few differences. Pix of mine can be found on RJ's archive website. Its serial number 114.
I wish I could help you out as I would love another one of these beauties. Mine was in about the same shape as yours but wasn't missing any of the interior cabinetry. It was certainly as messy. It will clean up. BTW - your wood is mahogany and will finish up just beautifully.
Keep me posted about your luck in finding a good home.

Brad
FF
airztream.com

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Cypress , Texas
59 Tradewind Flying Cloud

24d0251California is your next on the list. I bought it last week and went to pick it up today but wouldn't fit on the trailer. Maybe next week.
Prochevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Cypress , Texas
Sorry 5-59. What is the difference in a Tradewind and Flying Cloud. My trailer looks like a TW but has Flying Cloud markings.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:32 PM   #19
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prochevelle View Post
24d0251California is your next on the list. I bought it last week and went to pick it up today but wouldn't fit on the trailer. Maybe next week.
Hi ProChevelle ~

I don't have that number listed in my registry and am not sure what you mean by saying "is next on the list." Could you explain what that means>?

The difference between a Flying Cloud and a TradeWind is two feet in length with the the FC being 22' and the TW being 24'. I hope the above listed serial number starting with 24 is not on the trailer that has the Flying Cloud badging as this would be an anomaly and require more study.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:28 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Cypress , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
Hi ProChevelle ~

I don't have that number listed in my registry and am not sure what you mean by saying "is next on the list." Could you explain what that means>?

The difference between a Flying Cloud and a TradeWind is two feet in length with the the FC being 22' and the TW being 24'. I hope the above listed serial number starting with 24 is not on the trailer that has the Flying Cloud badging as this would be an anomaly and require more study.

Brad
FF
What I meant by that was it can be the next one on the registry. The tag next to the door and the vin on the frame both match. I believe it to be a 59 TW. It has an approximately 9" square plate that says Flying Cloud. It doesn't appear to have been added. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	188621  
Old 06-19-2013, 06:56 AM   #21
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Chris ~
If that's the case, then I would agree. How about some pictures of the plaque and serial number tag? I imagine the 5/59 you posted is the date stamp in the bottom corner of the ID tag too?

Thanks for the info, I'm adding you to the registry.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Cypress , Texas
pics

I sent them all last night. I guess they didnt make it.Click image for larger version

Name:	front.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	188636

Name:	photo(4).JPG
Views:	90
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	188637

Name:	photo(7).JPG
Views:	81
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	188638

Name:	photo(8).JPG
Views:	90
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	188639

Name:	photo(9).JPG
Views:	86
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	188640

Name:	photo(10).JPG
Views:	84
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	188641

Name:	photo(11).JPG
Views:	83
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	188642

Name:	photo(12).JPG
Views:	84
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	188643

Name:	photo(13).JPG
Views:	95
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	188644
Old 06-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #23
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
That is definitely a TradeWind. What is that over the front rectangular vent opening? Looks like some type of commercial exhaust vent.

What are you plans for this?

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Cypress , Texas
It does appear to be a commercial vent hood or a chimney cap. We are going to start with pulling out the interior and floors and making repairs on the pan. Then replacing outside panels and repairing dents and the front window. Also replace springs and bearing in the axle as well as replacing the tongue on the trailer. After that I hope we come to a decision on the inside. I make cabinets and I may go full custom, but not sure yet. I really would like to put the two twin beds in the back and have bunks.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:13 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
A 59 in Phoenix

John Abbott has a beautiful 59TWIND in Arizona. He is and his wife own the business "Airstreams4Rent". We rented their 59 for a road trip vacation and it quickly solidified our plans to buy our own. Coincidently John looked at ours for a customer before we bought ours. He has been a wealth of help and support as we start the journey (repair), no actual trips yet unless you call across town for various services. They have a website with a few photo's and are now doing restoration also. We even borrowed his license plate style because people are always asking what year.

Hittenstiehl
65TWIND
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #26
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
There is another '59 in Phoenix too. Mine. I've been in John's TradeWind and it is nicely redone with a few modern amenities.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Parkville , Missouri
Hi, we are brand new Airstream owners in Missouri. Two weeks ago we bought a 1959 Tradewind that is almost entirely original. It is the lounge model with the two twin beds. We are so excited that interior is all there down to the Fabulous 50's light fixtures and Princess stove. It still has the original upholstery on the big sofa! It has been garaged most of its life so interior and exterior are in great shape. We do need some advice though on hooking up the toilet. It did not come with a hose and seems to need some sort of valve. It is just an open hole right now. When you flush you can see the pavement through the hole. (Luckily no one has been using it!) Anyone know what we need and where we can get it? So excited to know there are still a lot of 1959's out there! Kathy
MOmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:02 PM   #28
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Yay!! Another early TradeWind surfaces and gets new owners!! So glad to hear of this exciting news. We all love pictures, anyway you could post some?

I would also like to add your TradeWind to the Early TradeWind Registry. Can you post the serial number please?

A couple of points on your commode issue. Black water tanks were not added to the TradeWind models for a few years after 1959. Mine was the same way, push down the valve and see daylight. You were suppose to dig a "gopher hole" in the ground and then cover it when you leave. Mine was this way and I added a black water tank above the floor and put in a low-profile ceramic Sealand toilet a number of years ago. Works great.

Congrats on your new acquisition. You are absolutely going to LOVE it.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.