Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1959-69 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2006, 09:51 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
And yet, another 1960 Tradewind!

Hi folks, I’ve been lurking out here for weeks as guest, then a member, both before and after my acquisition. This forum has been a FABULOUS resource. Its time for me to get in the water now.

I had been looking on and off for an AS just over 2 years, and a few weeks into my most recent search, yes, a 1960 Tradewind “spoke” to me. It’s in very good condition, even camping-ready. All original except the paint, carpet, soft goods, toilet, showerhead, faucet taps, astro-skylight vent, and a groaning old Carrier A/C that had been installed many years ago in the front window. Everything works! Even the original International furnace, Bowen HW heater, Dometic refer, and the Princess Robertshaw stove and oven. The LPG system had been upgraded to standard and the skin was polished to boot! It even has every last one of the original drawer pulls and hex phenolic latches. I really knew got lucky when the PO handed me a stack of original manuals then shared a bit about the trailer’s ownership history.

As beautiful as my AS is to me, it’s not totally pristine and perfect. There are a few things to be done, some I’m sure I don’t even know about yet, and I expect this will be never-ending with a vintage AS. For me, this will occur in baby steps. I have so much to learn. First, I’m trying to photo document everything, I mean EVERY nook and cranny before I start messing with stuff. Y’all seem to be a pretty good bunch and I’m impressed on how willing everyone is to share information and experiences. So far, I’ve found many of my questions answered by searching old threads. But I will have more questions and will be picking everyone’s brain. Hopefully someday in the future I’ll have a few answers to share!
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot
Hi folks, I’ve been lurking out here for weeks as guest, then a member, both before and after my acquisition. This forum has been a FABULOUS resource. Its time for me to get in the water now.

I had been looking on and off for an AS just over 2 years, and a few weeks into my most recent search, yes, a 1960 Tradewind “spoke” to me. It’s in very good condition, even camping-ready. All original except the paint, carpet, soft goods, toilet, showerhead, faucet taps, astro-skylight vent, and a groaning old Carrier A/C that had been installed many years ago in the front window. Everything works! Even the original International furnace, Bowen HW heater, Dometic refer, and the Princess Robertshaw stove and oven. The LPG system had been upgraded to standard and the skin was polished to boot! It even has every last one of the original drawer pulls and hex phenolic latches. I really knew got lucky when the PO handed me a stack of original manuals then shared a bit about the trailer’s ownership history.

As beautiful as my AS is to me, it’s not totally pristine and perfect. There are a few things to be done, some I’m sure I don’t even know about yet, and I expect this will be never-ending with a vintage AS. For me, this will occur in baby steps. I have so much to learn. First, I’m trying to photo document everything, I mean EVERY nook and cranny before I start messing with stuff. Y’all seem to be a pretty good bunch and I’m impressed on how willing everyone is to share information and experiences. So far, I’ve found many of my questions answered by searching old threads. But I will have more questions and will be picking everyone’s brain. Hopefully someday in the future I’ll have a few answers to share!
Welcome. Yes, I share your excitment over your new find. I too am a fairly new member having recently aquired our '66 TW. As each day passes I discover new 'things' about it. So far mmmmmostly good things and then there are some down-the-road re-dos. The most troubling is the PO's poor winterizing. For now I am just patching the plumbing 'cause I WANNA GO CAMPING. But as you will find as you 'discover' your new TW that this is an awsome forum. I have found much help and information that any worse case senarios will be taken care of with excitement. Talk to you later.
Neil.
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:21 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Western , Kentucky
Welcome, There is just something about a vintage Airstream that gets under your skin. Post pictures. Everyone loves to see pictures.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
I know what you mean about the WANNA GO CAMPING thing, Neil. I wish you the best with the plumbing and hope you’ll get out soon. My maiden voyage will probably be the 3rd weekend in August but with state park hook-ups and close to home. I can’t swear that I know what will happen when I fill the freshwater tank since the PO never boondocked., but he had reworked the blackwater tank. That's another issue for another post. The tank outlet hangs, well, uh . . . .a leeetle looow!

Greg, I promise I'll get some pictures up probably with a Yahoo photos. I'll post a link as soon as I can. I sure have done enough gawking at everyone elses pics, and its time to share!
Old 07-26-2006, 12:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello SUGARFOOT ,

Welcome to the 1960 tradewind club .We have a 60 ,also original phenolic
knobs ,princess stove ,furnace ,works real well .some things are new also
the floor and the wood cabinets are very nice .If you want a look,and WE
want the pictures of yours as soon as possible ,including the interior so
I can see if its has the floorplan like mine .Ours is a double bed ,gaucho
in the front .I have some photos in the tradewind forum under (new member)
60 tradewind you might like to see .Anyway happy to have you aboard.

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:16 AM   #6
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Alright, another early TradeWind owner! Sounds like you've got a great start with a unit ready to roll. Pix, we want to see lots of pix and I'll want your serial number and a description of your floorplan to add another to my registry. Yours will be number 46. Congrats and welcome to the Forums. You'll soon feel right at home here.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 09:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Got pics? Yes, lots of them . . .

Hi ya'll, I'm sorry I didn't have pics ready to post when I first started this thread, but now you can check this Picasa Photos link. There are 95 pics of all the ins and outs of this Tradewind, so be patient with upload and some may be redundant. I haven't had a chance to label them yet, but will get to it ASAP. When posting these I also remembered that the side marker lights are replacements by the PO but the Bargman brake lights were not. They look in too good a shape to me, so I wonder if they were replaced by an earlier PO. Anyway, check it out. If the link doesn't work, let me know (I have no doubt that you will!)
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rapunzel6666/album?.dir=/2d9ere2&.src=ph&.tok=phjwsPFBiJ3cavFD.

Scott, I had viewed yours and Lily's photos with envy even before I found my AS. You have a beautiful trailer and furnished so nicely! I noticed the vintage kitchen right off. Mine is a twin floor plan with shower pan, no tub. And a front gaucho, but I'm not sure it pulls out. Did all the Tradewinds convert to a double in front? I tried, but didn't want to force anything since the left side moved but the right side was stuck.

Brad, I've read many of your posts as well. My SN is 240310T, not with International options however. Wet bath in rear with closet on right, twins in the middle, galley streetside, and gaucho in front. Number 46 on the registry, how appropriate for a 46 year old trailer!

It's nice to meet ya'll, and by the way, my name is Dacia.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:27 PM   #8
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Hi Dacia ~

Welcome. From the serial number, it looks like you bought Jason's off of Ebay, right? This number is already in my registry but I didn't know who the new owner was or where it ended up. Jason had listed it as an International but in reviewing your Picasa Photos, it is not but is a Land Yacht version so it has some of the features of the International model. These include 12 volt battery, lighter style 12 volt plugs, air compressor, etc. Yours is an Ohio built unit, in case you didn't know. Congrats on a great looking trailer.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Yes, Brad, you're right. I went to see the Tradewind before I planned to bid. He reserved to option to sell locally, so we closed the deal and he pulled it off eBay. The International confusion came from the way Georgia assigned the VIN on the registration. For some reason it was preceded by '1D'. The '1' was misread as an 'I'. You must be the person he mentioned to me, something about serial numbers and registry. He was going to give me your contact info, but we never got around to it. So what number am I now?
Old 07-26-2006, 10:04 PM   #10
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Yes, Dacia, you're right too. Jason and I chatted online a few times and he said he would pass along my contact info to the new owner. I still found you anyway.

Of the 17 Ohio built '59 and '60 TradeWind's, yours is number 13 on the list. Funny, I just found the Ebay purchaser of #301 on here tonight too.

I didn't see an 'I' or '1' in front of the serial number on the ID tag on your photos. Can you verify its there? I know CA built trailers had an Int'l globe on three places on the outer skin of their International models but am unsure if OH did this. I didn't notice any on yours. If you need a pic of this globe, let me know.

TradeWind's ROCK!!

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Thirteen is a good number too, as far as I'm concerned. I know what the globes look like, and no, there are no globes or anything else to suggest this is an International. The SN on the trailer does NOT have an ' I ' in front of it. Regarding options, I'm still trying to figure out what really constitutes an International. As far as I've gathered, some trim options (but what exactly I'm not clear), a water filter, and maybe two HW heaters and a Humprhey lamp? I have none of these. Hmmm, I didn't realize only 17 of these were built in Ohio during the early years. Cool! YES, they ROCK!
Old 07-26-2006, 10:27 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
By the way Brad, did you know Jason and his dad saved this Tradewind from being a hunting trailer destined for certain death in the woods? I can't imagine . . . what a waste that would be.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:29 PM   #13
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Somewhere here on the forums, in a couple of different posts, I've listed the differences between Standard, Land Yacht and International trim packages. I'll look the info up.

Just so I'm clear, the 17 is the number I have listed in my registry. Not the total number of trailers made in OH for the year. I only wish it was that complete.

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:33 PM   #14
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Here's the info from an earlier post, This is the most complete info regarding model offerings I have found. Only applies to our era of trailer ~

"LAND YACHTING...the better way to travel"
In reviewing some early '60s Airstream promotional material I have, I found a two page info sheet entitled "LAND YACHTING...the better way to travel." I'll post some of the information:

"A 'Land Yacht' is a personal highway cruiser manufactured by Airstream, and specifically designed and outfitted, down to the last luxurious detail, for unlimited road voyaging. A Land Yacht is no mere house trailer, or so-called mobile home, pressed into service for weekend or vacation use. Indeed a conventional trailer no more resembles a Land Yacht than a canal barge compares to travel-cruise luxury liner." Wally at his best

On the second page of this flyer, is the best designation I have found to explain the distinctions between the model lines:

"The Airstream Fleet
Every Airstream is built to the same rigid construction standards and must satisfy the travel specifications of the world's most adventurous roamers – the Wally Byam Caravanners. Chassis, running gear, body design and basic equipment have proved their ability to take the punishment of Etheopian roads as successfully as they cruise the turnpikes of Pennsylvania. The same essential comforts are found in any Airstream—airfoam beds, efficient space heater, well-planned galley and attractive interior decoration.

The STANDARD Airstream features the famous road-worthy qualities of all Airstreams. It has the best in convenient equipment and appliances such as an ice-electric refrigerator, electric hot water heater, 110V wiring, copper water lines with easily accessible input connections and regulation drainage outlet.

The LAND YACHT Series If you plan to spend time away from the beaten path where commercial facilites are not available, you'll probably want one of the Land Yacht series. All Airstream Land Yachts, from 18 foot to 30 foot models, are completely outfitted for extended stays away from the standard light, water and sewer connections. The equipment that makes this self-containment possible includes a pressure water system with tank and air compressor, 12V electrical system (in addition to the regular 110V wiring) with battery and 12V light fixtures—this also operates the air compressor that keeps water running to all faucets...a gas refrigerator and gas hot water heater...a marine-type toilet equipped with hand spray flushing device to conserve water and the Airstream sanitator, to provide toilet convenience away from a sewer hookup.

The INTERNATIONAL LAND YACHT Series is the last word in travel luxury, combining every Airstream engineering achievement with elegant interior furnishings. Beautiful materials are used for the upholstery; draperies are tastefully lined; matching bed spreads are included as well as wall pads to give the appearance of a couch. All fabrics are chosen for carefree maintenance and resistance to wear under the most exacting conditions. Cabinets are exquisitely finished. Self containment is developed to the highest degree in these models. Any new equipment available here or abroad is tested for possible inclusion to make the International the most independant and luxurious. The basic additional features include a water purifier, 12V electrical system throughout including a 12V ceiling ventilator fan and 12V outlet for a shaver and other appliances. Two oversize gas tanks with automatic switch-over regulator, space heater, police-type radio antenna and deluxe hub caps. The features of the International Land Yacht models are not "frozen," they are subject to constant improvement to give their owners the very best.

There is an Airstream model to suit your dreams. Whichever one you choose will take you on the happiest travel-adventures anywhere in the world.

*If it isn't an AIRSTREAM, it isn't a LAND YACHT"

This use of the term Land Yacht is probably not the first use of it in Airstream literature or promotional materials. Wally sure had a way with words. This is, no doubt, a reflection on his days as an advertising exec.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:55 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Welcome fellow 60 TW owner

Here is our blog of our Airstreams, including our 60 Trade Wind.

http://sweetsovereign.blogspot.com/

Brad is responsible for our Trade Wind too!

Enjoy,

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:01 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot
Hi ya'll, I'm sorry I didn't have pics ready to post when I first started this thread, but now you can check this Yahoo Photos link. There are 95 pics of all the ins and outs of this Tradewind, so be patient with upload and some may be redundant. I haven't had a chance to label them yet, but will get to it ASAP. When posting these I also remembered that the side marker lights are replacements by the PO but the Bargman brake lights were not. They look in too good a shape to me, so I wonder if they were replaced by an earlier PO. Anyway, check it out. If the link doesn't work, let me know (I have no doubt that you will!)
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rapunzel6666/album?.dir=/2d9ere2&.src=ph&.tok=phjwsPFBiJ3cavFD.

Scott, I had viewed yours and Lily's photos with envy even before I found my AS. You have a beautiful trailer and furnished so nicely! I noticed the vintage kitchen right off. Mine is a twin floor plan with shower pan, no tub. And a front gaucho, but I'm not sure it pulls out. Did all the Tradewinds convert to a double in front? I tried, but didn't want to force anything since the left side moved but the right side was stuck.

Brad, I've read many of your posts as well. My SN is 240310T, not with International options however. Wet bath in rear with closet on right, twins in the middle, galley streetside, and gaucho in front. Number 46 on the registry, how appropriate for a 46 year old trailer!

It's nice to meet ya'll, and by the way, my name is Dacia.
thanks for sharing all those photos - great for reference material/data.

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:07 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Hello SUGARFOOT,

The photos are really great .I like the whitewall look .It is quite similar to
mine (thank you for the nice compliments) The battery box ,water inlet and faucet knobs in front and under the coach ,I have the same arial antenna
on the tongue although mine is in the garage when not traveling,The bath
is very different ,hence the ohio trailer difference possibly ,as ours is a CA
trailer.same water tank ,compressor and other stuff.But I say it looks really
good inside and out ,very original which is real neat.You have the same
aluminum (not galvanized ) water tank as mine did ,Mine was trash inside
you need to get a look inside there by unscrewing the spiget faucet cap
as the whole piece is suppose to come off for refilling when boondocking.
you should see nothing but clean non corroded aluminum in there ,no little crummy particles etc.Anyway There are options for that ,but I chose to have a similar tank made from stainless steel ,about the same size ,a little larger
in diameter ,no big deal .Well real nice trailer you have .We all have helpful thoughts for you and ideas so either PM or post !

Scott of scottanlily
Old 07-27-2006, 12:16 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
sugarfoot ,took another look at the pics ,as I will do for a while ,you know ,can't help it.your tradewind is a landyacht as mine is same amenities
basically and the designation by the door ,the wallybyam ships wheel logo.
it looks like mine sitting there ,we have the forward stacked windows also.

Scott
Old 07-27-2006, 06:19 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Thanks ya'll for the encouraging feedback

Thanks Brad, the info you posted regarding the Land Yacht/International distinctions was the most enlighting I've seen yet. Somehow I missed it when I searched forums for International information a few weeks ago. Just what is an "Airstream sanitator?" Is that another name for the blackwater tank? Just curious. I sure can tell Wally had a bent towards marketing!

Rob, I had looked at your blog as well when researching. Your TW is certaining coming along. I like the dinette layout very much, but I'm happy with my gaucho since the original drop-leaf matching table was also with the trailer. And I love the Caravel with the Jeep! I actually was considering a Bambi or Caravel size initially but this TW won my heart when I actually saw it in person.

Its funny you mention the whitewalls, Scott. When Jason and I talked initially, the first thing he asked was, "How da ya like the whitewalls?" I think they're cool, but I'm amazed how many opposite reactions I get. People either seem to love 'em or hate 'em. And yes, those jalousie windows are wonderful. Love the crossbreeze created. Thanks for the tip on the FW tank. I'll certainly check it out. Jason's father said he had tested it and also the pressurizing system. No problems. But after reading a recent '62 GT post {http://www.airforums.com/forums/f134/1962-globetrotter-questions-24757.html), I'm wary of it. I'm not certain I have a pressure relief valve or even know what to look for. The trend seems to be ditch the compressor and go to demand pumps anyway.

The more I read, the more I realize I don't know and I am humbled. SO many of you have done SO much restoration work and have done such a GREAT job. I am far from paying my dues. In all honesty, my unexpected TW find was one of those fortunate events where everything just fell into place. It has been a blessing since I have little extra time for total restoration and would have to contract out much of it anyway. But there are many things to do. My list is growing. For instance, I hope for my TW to spend some wintering time with RV Restorations in Dalton, GA. There is a streak of corrosion on the belly pan just behind the back bumper. The floor is solid and I want to keep it that way, plus, the field mice can't read the "No Vermin Allowed" sign and I don't want them snuggling up in my Airstream!
Old 07-27-2006, 07:38 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Pics have descriptions now

Photos link is still http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rapunzel6666/album?.dir=/2d9ere2&.src=ph&.tok=phjwsPFBiJ3cavFD. I think I've got everything named correctly. If you see something that isn't, please enlighten me!

Tags
1960, 1960 tradewind