Old 05-27-2018, 08:01 PM   #99
2 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Somewhere , Minnesota
Iíve made a few more leaps forward, Iím pushing hard to have the trailer fully functional by the end of July.

After the insulation, I quickly got going on the interior skins. I was going for the fewest number of seems possible so I used the longest sheets I could find from airparts inc. These were 4x12 sheets of 5052 H32 .032Ē

Using these large sheets definitely caused some headaches but it looks great now. The most difficult aspects of using the long sheet were:
1. Trying to line up all the cuts around windows, lights, wiring, etc...
2. Not having any warpage or bubbles in the aluminum.

Here are some progress pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1859.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	650.5 KB
ID:	312249

Name:	IMG_1936.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	447.6 KB
ID:	312251

Next up I worked on the end caps. I found a post on here titled ďAluminum Interior End Cap segmentedĒ by Larry b. Which was an amazing method to remake the end caps, it took about a day per end cap but the ended up looking amazing.

Name:	IMG_1991.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	444.3 KB
ID:	312252

Name:	IMG_2005.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	416.8 KB
ID:	312253

Next I taped up the inside for painting, rented a sprayer and got after it.

Name:	IMG_2055.JPG
Size:	490.9 KB
ID:	312254

Name:	IMG_2059.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	363.6 KB
ID:	312255

Name:	IMG_2069.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	361.9 KB
ID:	312256

Overall, Iím very pleased with how the interior is coming together. 8 more weeks and she should be close to done.

GoToasterGo '69 Tradewind Renovation
GoToasterGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:22 AM   #100
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
WOW! Looks fabulous!

Kay

Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:06 PM   #101
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
If I could only explain how many hours it took to verify wiring, reskin the interior of your trailer, then prep and paint. You really did get after it.

You MIGHT get done by the first of August at that pace. I know you have an appreciation how much work lies ahead.

Keep us posted on this old toaster.

David
WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

Link to my 1975 Overlander Improvement Journal:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f17...ml#post2053792
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:51 AM   #102
2 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Somewhere , Minnesota
It's been ages since I've updated this thread and the trailer is almost complete now. I'll post some pictures and updates later but first I have a problem.

A rock went through my wing window over the weekend and I need to find a Curb Side 1969 Wing Window. If anyone has any leads or recommendations I'd love to hear them
Old 10-10-2018, 11:08 AM   #103
4 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
If you aren't already familiar with vintage trailer supply, here you go:

https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com...p/vts-1651.htm

Note that because we own the special, unique 1969 models, with their one-year-only hybrid wing windows, they are extremely rare and much more expensive than 1970+ curved corner wing windows. Also, the replacements are only available in plexiglass. If you ever find a corning glass wing window from 1969, and you can afford to buy it, you will own something exceedingly rare indeed.

I should also tell you that some owners of '69s have given into the temptation of putting in 1970s style wings with a mod kit that adds an aluminum filler to the lower square corner so the lower curved corner will fit. They do this to save a couple hundred dollars or so. That's a shame since you can always easily tell the '69s (the year we first landed on the moon) from the front window.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:10 PM   #104
2 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Somewhere , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
If you aren't already familiar with vintage trailer supply, here you go:

https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com...p/vts-1651.htm

Note that because we own the special, unique 1969 models, with their one-year-only hybrid wing windows, they are extremely rare and much more expensive than 1970+ curved corner wing windows. Also, the replacements are only available in plexiglass. If you ever find a corning glass wing window from 1969, and you can afford to buy it, you will own something exceedingly rare indeed.

I should also tell you that some owners of '69s have given into the temptation of putting in 1970s style wings with a mod kit that adds an aluminum filler to the lower square corner so the lower curved corner will fit. They do this to save a couple hundred dollars or so. That's a shame since you can always easily tell the '69s (the year we first landed on the moon) from the front window.

Thanks for the advice Scott. Iíve already been on the phone with VTS and they are actually out of stock for curb side windows for both 1969 and 70+ years. Unfortunately the 1969ís are fully discontinued(even with the plexiglass) so I might have to settle for a 1970.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:07 AM   #105
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
It's probably a long shot, but try Colaws Salvage in Missouri. They are online, and have multiple airstreams they part out. Who knows, you might get lucky...

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:30 PM   #106
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
My son's 69 Globetrotter shattered a wing window all by itself, maybe due to thermoshock in the Colorado sun, maybe due to stresses in the body. Anyway, it was shattered in the driveway.

He made a Plexiglas replacement after a couple of tries. That piece is still there after about 4 years. It demonstrates it can be done in a driveway without much skill level.

I studied replacing this oddball window with a 70 style round corner window. It would require a lot of exterior sheet metal work, but doable. The son did not want to lose the 69 identity.

So the Plexiglas stays. We don't have much cold and rain here.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1605 Broken Wing Window (Small).JPG
Views:	20
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	325017  
WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

Link to my 1975 Overlander Improvement Journal:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f17...ml#post2053792
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:58 PM   #107
4 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Nice!

I was thinking there was probably a way to install plexiglass in the frame. Probably a lot cheaper, though it might take a lot of time and labor.

Once you get it fixed, you will want to install some sort of rock guard. There are several different styles of these. Mine is darkly shaded one piece plexiglass goggle design that covers the entire front glass area.

New AS completely shield the front with heavy plexiglass and ridiculous-looking-but-effective stainless steel rock guards on the lower corners. Some owners also go further and install giant rock flaps/brooms either on the trailer tongue or back of the tow vehicle to arrest flying debris kicked up by the tires.

Before the stainless steel rock guards, some AS owners painted the lower front end with something like rino-liner for protection. All these measures seem a bit off-point, like buying and wearing an expensive, tailored suit, only to cover it up with bullet-proof tactical gear. What we need is for the expensive tailored beautiful suit itself to be bullet-proof.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:21 PM   #108
2 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Somewhere , Minnesota
Catching up

Last picture I posted was of the walls being painted. That was very rewarding as it really changes the look of the entire interior.

Next up I installed the floors, from the front of the trailer all the way to where the bathroom is I installed an interlocking vinyl flooring.

Name:	IMG_2074.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	328338

I had a friends dad help me install the flooring on probably the hottest day of the summer and before I had the Air conditioner wired in. Therefore. my number one priority after fishing the floor was to get the air conditioning working. While I was at it I also installed some of the ceiling lights so I could more easily work at night.

Name:	IMG_2089.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	328339

Now it was time to start tackling the bathroom. I have spent a ton of time debating methods and designs for a wet bath and finally settled on using a WEDI base with tile on top. I was originally still concerned with where to end the tile but then realized that as long as I had properly sealed the aluminum it should be able to hold all of the water in as well. Therefore I vulkemed all the seams before painting in the bathroom. The shower pan was tricky to source as I wanted it to cover a large and awkardly shaped area in the back of the trailer. To make it even more difficult the black tank covers most of the rear of the trailer therefore I had to find a shower pan with an offset drain as well. Here is a picture of the shower pan. If you look closely you can see my lines drawn out for where the pan had to be cut.

Name:	IMG_2135.jpg
Size:	367.2 KB
ID:	328340

This next picture shows a lot of pieces of the interior partly done. I had brought the fridge in to help with planning cabinetry on that side. you can also see part of the kitchen being built on the right. The framing for the bathroom and the shower pan can be seen in the back. The "post" is where the shower head will eventually be installed. On the right just before the bathroom is our wardrobe then a small pull out pantry.

Name:	IMG_2144.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	328341

Another area of the trailer I have been concerned with for a long time was the cabinetry as I am not much of a wood worker(see framing). Luckily I live with a cabinet maker so I was able to outsource that portion of the trailer to him.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:34 PM   #109
2 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Somewhere , Minnesota
Bathroom

After the bathroom was framed and shower pan installed I continued to install the rest of the WEDI material. The WEDI shower pan and sheets are extremely light weight so great for the rear of the trailer. They are also 100% waterproof once they are installed and sealed with their proprietary sealant. Some plumbing was also ran during this process to ensure that the shower and sink would have their lines in place. I put all the valves directly under the window so that they could be accessed through the rear hatch.

Name:	IMG_2149.jpg
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	328342

Name:	IMG_2151.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	328343

Name:	IMG_2155.jpg
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	328344

Name:	IMG_2184.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	328346

Name:	IMG_2170.jpg
Size:	228.8 KB
ID:	328347

Another very tricky aspect was installing the toilet seen in the next picture. I had to connect the toilet through a couple inches of WEDI pan then through the subfloor and into the black tank. Getting the proper waste plumbing connections wasn't too difficult but attaching the closet flange was tough as I needed some screws that were just the right length to go through the flange, the WEDI and the subfloor without puncturing the black tank.

Here's the finished product in the bathroom. I used the smallest thinnest tiles I could find. Installed a small bathroom sink and vanity and the toilet.

Name:	IMG_2168.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	325.6 KB
ID:	328345
Old 11-22-2018, 01:00 PM   #110
2 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Somewhere , Minnesota
Around this point in the build I had another friend help me out and run all of the LP for the trailer. The water heater, furnace, stove and fridge all needed propane ran with a good plan in place before my friend arrived we were able to tackle all of that in a day.

I also got going on stetting up the inverter/converter setup in my electrical cabinet. I'm ashamed at the mess of wiring in that area but this is a temporary set up for now. I am running two 6V - 235Ah batteries and I went with Victron Energy for my inverter and charger.

Name:	0C845837-67ED-4F89-B259-4E0EE84D1E52.jpg
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	328348

This next picture shows the rest of the cabinetry, sink, stove, countertops, and fridge installed. Also some finishing around the bathroom entrance.

Name:	IMG_2208.jpg
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	328349

I really wanted to have more done at this point but ran out of time as it was our wedding day! So obviously we pulled the trailer out the wedding venue and set it up as our photo booth.

Name:	Kirk&Jean'sWedding-1043.jpg
Size:	329.7 KB
ID:	328354

After the wedding, which was awesome, we took off the pacific north west for a few week. During this time I left the trailer with some friends in Winnipeg to finish up a few projects for me.

1. Install the bathoom door
2. Build the bed frame with some drawers for storage underneath
3. Build a cover the hot water heater in the bathroom
4. A few other finishing touches.

They did an awesome job and if anyone needs renovation work done in Winnipeg check out Grindstone Renovations. I don't have many pictures between the wedding and "finishing" the trailer but below is what it looks like now. Here you can see the bathroom door installed as well as a piece of glass we put in near the shower section of the bathroom to keep the space feeling as big as possible. You can also see all the cabinet doors installed and some dirty dishes for good measure.

Name:	IMG_2387.jpg
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	328350

This next picture shows our bed and the unfortunate broken window which occurred on our drive back to Minneapolis from Winnipeg.

Name:	IMG_2392.jpg
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	328351

I still have a list of about 30 projects ranging from small to large but the trailer is totally usable now and feels great!
Old 11-22-2018, 01:07 PM   #111
2 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Somewhere , Minnesota
Bathroom Mirror and Wing Window

A couple small projects I finished up just recently was the addition of this mirror. I also added some LEDs in behind it so that it would act as a light as well. The lit up picture really does not do it justice but it's quite nice.

You can also notice some Velcro around the window in this picture. I use that Velcro as a way to keep the window area free from any shower water. You'll see what I mean a couple pictures down.

Mirror Light off

Name:	IMG_2427.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	328355

Mirror Light on

Name:	IMG_2426.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	328356

Shower cover for the window

Name:	IMG_2473.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	328357

I also fixed the broken wing window, here it is replaced and sealed.

Name:	IMG_2470.jpg
Size:	406.8 KB
ID:	328358

Any of you paying attention will notice that the last picture looks a little too warm for Minnesota in the winter. We actually decided to drive down to Texas for the winter while it's cold up in Minnesota. We'll be back in Minnesota once it warms up though.
Old 11-22-2018, 02:48 PM   #112
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Everything looks great. I would think the biggest accomplishment was your wedding. I donít think I would have undertaken these renovations if my wife wasnít as enthusiastic about it as I am. Good luck, keep up the great work, and let us know when your in central Texas.

Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1969 tradewind, frame off, full monte