Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1959-69 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-26-2018, 10:20 PM   #81
2 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Somewhere , Minnesota
Hmm.. so strange that air forums decides to rotate only some of my images.

Anyway, part of sealing up the exterior was closing up a couple larger holes, one which was from and old antenna near the front of the trailer, I'm not sure where the other came from. Anyway we decided to cover them up with some cool Minnesota and Manitoba shaped patches.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1583.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	307258

Name:	IMG_1584.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	307259

Here's a couple more interior shots as the skin starts getting sealed up. You can see the air conditioning is in place.

Name:	IMG_1609.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	277.8 KB
ID:	307260

Name:	IMG_1620.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	372.5 KB
ID:	307261

In one of those pictures you can see the reflectix I installed. I wish now that I would have used prodex but too late now. The reflectix did go in really easy and hopefully it was worth it.

Here's my first batch of wires I got in to run my DC. I tried to color code all circuits to make my life easier later if I need to do any repairs, or make any changes. I was short on a couple lengths but this picture covered about 85%of the required DC wiring.

Name:	IMG_1653.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	293.8 KB
ID:	307262

And here is all the electrical installed AC and DC. I used 10/2 for my 30A shore power to the breaker panel, 12/2 for the air conditioning and 14/2 for everythign else. The DC wire were mostly 14 AWG, some 12 and 10 AWG for higher current draw items and 8 AWG for the DC fridge power. The Fridge should rarely run off DC but it does draw a lot of current so the voltage drop across too small of a wire could lead to problems. I also used 18 AWG for a few different signal cables(thermostat to AC signal, Thermostat to furnace etc..). I probably could have used it for some of the lighter current draw circuits as well but 14AWG was just easier to come by. Also, I ordered all my wire from tinnedmarinewire, they had a great selection at the right price.

Name:	IMG_1731.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	450.6 KB
ID:	307263

MAJOR LAPSE IN PLANNING!!
I had one major lapse in planning. When I started running the electrical the entire belly pan was insualted and riveted along with the banana wraps. Unfortunately I forgot to run the power lines for my electric jack and breakaway cable. Wanting these wires to be nicely hidden inside the A frame of the hitch I ended up having to pull my front belly pan down to run two wires.....

Looks great now though! (I should probably get a pic of this)

This weekend I finished up the insulation on the interior using roxul. I did have to cut all of the standard sized insulation pieces in half as their thickness is for standard 2x4 framed rooms, but with the help of some Super77 3M adhesive everything stayed in place.

Next up interior skins!!!
GoToasterGo '69 Tradewind Renovation
GoToasterGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 10:20 PM   #82
2 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Somewhere , Minnesota
Pic of the insulation

Name:	IMG_1828.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	318.1 KB
ID:	307264
Old 03-27-2018, 06:22 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
GTG

Outstanding work!

Sideways photos can be frustrating. The long photo dimension always seems to be horizon.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:33 AM   #84
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Nice progress!
I see you borrowed a couple ideas from us related to wiring colors and shaped patches.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:13 PM   #85
2 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Somewhere , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
Nice progress!
I see you borrowed a couple ideas from us related to wiring colors and shaped patches.

Kay

We definitely did for the wiring. I don’t remember the patches on yours. Maybe post a pic and jog my memory.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:10 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Thanks for the update. I wonder how many times I've had to "rework" something because of lack of planning. Your post proves I'm just a normal guy.

I put a Colorado patch on my son's Globetrotter. Colorado is a square state and not recognizable for an ordinary patch. No arrow head, no panhandle, no boot heal, etc., just boring square.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 05:48 PM   #87
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Chris put a Minnesota shape over the dent left from having a doorknob on the door where it hit the trailer to the left of the door. Definitely covers a multitude of sins!

Kay
Old 03-28-2018, 11:21 PM   #88
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
1968 30' Sovereign
Salt Lake City , Utah
Love seeing the progress!
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jimbreitinger/
utahredrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:34 AM   #89
2 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Somewhere , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
Chris put a Minnesota shape over the dent left from having a doorknob on the door where it hit the trailer to the left of the door. Definitely covers a multitude of sins!

Kay

Ahh yes I mentioned this to Jean and she remembered seeing it.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:24 AM   #90
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
69 Tradewind Full Monte Renovation in MN

I've have a Alabama,Texas, and Louisiana patches on mine. My wife and kids keep saying I need Colorado and Wyoming patches [emoji12]. I'm at the same place in my build and just started putting interior skins on. Great work
Old 03-31-2018, 08:42 AM   #91
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
If it ever stops snowing, we'd like to come see your trailer. MN March is definitely going out like a lion this year! 3 - 4 inches of snow last nite....

Kay
Old 04-01-2018, 10:28 PM   #92
2 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Somewhere , Minnesota
Kay - You definitely should! It's currently in a warehouse, but like you said, if it ever stops snowing and the ground dries up then it will be in the back yard again. Hopefully we can set something up near the end of the moth.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:28 AM   #93
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
1962 28' Ambassador
Williston , Vermont
Just finished a marathon read of your blog, thanks for posting. I like you am waiting for the snow to go, I'm in Vermont. My trailer, a '56 Safari, is gutted and waiting for the shell to come off. I hadn't planned to, but after seeing your success, I am going to build a gantry system. I like that you can use it to flip the frame and I don't much like working on my back.

I am trying to figure out how long this should take. If you don't mind me asking, are you working full time on this project or nights and weekends? It looks great by the way.

Mark
steinVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:26 PM   #94
2 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Somewhere , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinVT View Post
Just finished a marathon read of your blog, thanks for posting. I like you am waiting for the snow to go, I'm in Vermont. My trailer, a '56 Safari, is gutted and waiting for the shell to come off. I hadn't planned to, but after seeing your success, I am going to build a gantry system. I like that you can use it to flip the frame and I don't much like working on my back.

I am trying to figure out how long this should take. If you don't mind me asking, are you working full time on this project or nights and weekends? It looks great by the way.

Mark
Hi Mark,

Glad you found my posts useful. As you've probably read from many other expect it to take longer than you think . During the non winter months I get in around 40 hours a week. This was originally just evenings and weekends until I was able to negotiate cutting my hours back at work to only work Monday through Thursday.

Best of luck with your '56 Safari!

-Kirk
Old 04-04-2018, 07:26 PM   #95
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
1962 28' Ambassador
Williston , Vermont
Hi Kirk,
I plan to do the same, cutting back to half time in May. I have most of the interior refinished in my basement and am looking to working outside with steel and aluminum.

If you don't mind, some questions about your gantry. Looks like it had 12 foot side columns. Was the top beam 12 foot as well?

Did you stabilize the interior at all with cross beams attached to the ribs? Did you bridge the door opening with wood?

Thanks,
Mark
steinVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:03 PM   #96
2 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Somewhere , Minnesota
Mark,

Sorry for the late response I’ve been traveling a lot recently. I think the top beam was 10feet, I actually found some really nice plans here on the forums. If you search around you should be able to find them. Or message me again this week and I’ll try and find them when I get back home. The only real support I used while the shell was off the frame was a couple of “tables” that I set the frame on. I made these out of left over pieces of 4x4 and some left over ply wood. I needed this as the 69 shell has pieces of aluminum which wrap around to the below and hang below the c channel when the frame is off. I did nothing at all to the door opening, but my door was also in rough shape already when I got the trailer.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:20 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoToasterGo View Post
Hmm.. so strange that air forums decides to rotate only some of my images.

Anyway, part of sealing up the exterior was closing up a couple larger holes, one which was from and old antenna near the front of the trailer, I'm not sure where the other came from. Anyway we decided to cover them up with some cool Minnesota and Manitoba shaped patches.

Attachment 307258

Attachment 307259

Here's a couple more interior shots as the skin starts getting sealed up. You can see the air conditioning is in place.

Attachment 307260

Attachment 307261

In one of those pictures you can see the reflectix I installed. I wish now that I would have used prodex but too late now. The reflectix did go in really easy and hopefully it was worth it.

Here's my first batch of wires I got in to run my DC. I tried to color code all circuits to make my life easier later if I need to do any repairs, or make any changes. I was short on a couple lengths but this picture covered about 85%of the required DC wiring.

Attachment 307262

And here is all the electrical installed AC and DC. I used 10/2 for my 30A shore power to the breaker panel, 12/2 for the air conditioning and 14/2 for everythign else. The DC wire were mostly 14 AWG, some 12 and 10 AWG for higher current draw items and 8 AWG for the DC fridge power. The Fridge should rarely run off DC but it does draw a lot of current so the voltage drop across too small of a wire could lead to problems. I also used 18 AWG for a few different signal cables(thermostat to AC signal, Thermostat to furnace etc..). I probably could have used it for some of the lighter current draw circuits as well but 14AWG was just easier to come by. Also, I ordered all my wire from tinnedmarinewire, they had a great selection at the right price.

Attachment 307263

MAJOR LAPSE IN PLANNING!!

I had one major lapse in planning. When I started running the electrical the entire belly pan was insualted and riveted along with the banana wraps. Unfortunately I forgot to run the power lines for my electric jack and breakaway cable. Wanting these wires to be nicely hidden inside the A frame of the hitch I ended up having to pull my front belly pan down to run two wires.....

Looks great now though! (I should probably get a pic of this)

This weekend I finished up the insulation on the interior using roxul. I did have to cut all of the standard sized insulation pieces in half as their thickness is for standard 2x4 framed rooms, but with the help of some Super77 3M adhesive everything stayed in place.

Next up interior skins!!!

Name:	Image1526433608.797208.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	334.3 KB
ID:	311066

Creative patches rule! My son cut this one for me, he has skills!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:18 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Attachment 311066

Creative patches rule! My son cut this one for me, he has skills!

Beautiful! Does your son do work in New England? [emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:01 PM   #99
2 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Somewhere , Minnesota
I’ve made a few more leaps forward, I’m pushing hard to have the trailer fully functional by the end of July.

After the insulation, I quickly got going on the interior skins. I was going for the fewest number of seems possible so I used the longest sheets I could find from airparts inc. These were 4x12 sheets of 5052 H32 .032”

Using these large sheets definitely caused some headaches but it looks great now. The most difficult aspects of using the long sheet were:
1. Trying to line up all the cuts around windows, lights, wiring, etc...
2. Not having any warpage or bubbles in the aluminum.

Here are some progress pics.

Name:	IMG_1859.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	650.5 KB
ID:	312249

Name:	IMG_1936.JPG
Size:	447.6 KB
ID:	312251

Next up I worked on the end caps. I found a post on here titled “Aluminum Interior End Cap segmented” by Larry b. Which was an amazing method to remake the end caps, it took about a day per end cap but the ended up looking amazing.

Name:	IMG_1991.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	444.3 KB
ID:	312252

Name:	IMG_2005.JPG
Size:	416.8 KB
ID:	312253

Next I taped up the inside for painting, rented a sprayer and got after it.

Name:	IMG_2055.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	490.9 KB
ID:	312254

Name:	IMG_2059.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	363.6 KB
ID:	312255

Name:	IMG_2069.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	361.9 KB
ID:	312256

Overall, I’m very pleased with how the interior is coming together. 8 more weeks and she should be close to done.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:22 AM   #100
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
WOW! Looks fabulous!

Kay

Tags
1969 tradewind, frame off, full monte