Old 12-09-2017, 10:25 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Today we had a wonderful and bittersweet day.

We sold our beloved 65 Tradewind Henrietta to a very excited new owner.

Funny twist was she brought an acquaintance who will be her
fixer/helper/mentor. (Unbeknownst to either of us) He is also an acquaintance of ours who we consulted when we first bought her. So he knew the trailer, although he didn't recognize it in the Craigslist ad, and could see it's progress despite how much still needed to be done.

The viewing and negotiations went well and money and title exchanged hands smoothly.

Another Airstream convert, we will be able to see their progress by checking his website and we can focus on our other two.

Thank you for your knowledge, sharing and encouragement, especially David.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:26 PM   #58
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Had me laughing out loud with your way of description. Great thread.

Bye-bye Newbie-ness

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:58 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Hi Hittenstiehl: Thank you for your kind words. Well, I sold my beloved Trade Wind too, last August it was. The mid sixties trailers are special, and that is a major why I decided to sell it. The mid sixties trailers have many unique parts that are hard to get or no longer available. Corning curved glass, Phillips operators, Herr vent operators, Bargman L100 locksets, fly off cargo doors, big door hinge, special body parts and what else.

Mostly I wanted another project Airstream. I know, I'm sick. I wanted a trailer that I could expose my adult sons and families to the joys of Airstream travel. They both enjoy outdoor adventures. A later model vintage Airstream has less special parts, and of course less vintage look. I guess I went from twinkie to bread loaf shape. The Overlander kinda looks like a late model Airstream even though it is 42 years old.

You know, I never spent a night in the 66 Trade Wind. My wife much prefers her 86 Limited. That's the one we use for our long trips. Lack of use is another reason I decided to sell.

I'm now happy to be working on another vintage Airstream, though not as special as my former 66 Trade Wind. I think this 75 Overlander will make a good family trailer in the future. Broken stuff will be easier to fix or replace.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1708 Sale Front Shade (Small).JPG
Views:	35
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	300699  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:14 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
David I've watched your new project also. You are a great encourager on these forums

Our 65 was our first love and we learned a lot and put some of it into practice. We camped in it quite a bit as a boondocker and showed it to lots of folks in our travels.

We have now since acquired our keepers, a 61 Globettotter in original shape that needs love. A 62 Ambassador that has had a shell off and is empty inside. The different sizes will allow us off road travel and longer haul in comfort.

Then of course there is still our 1960 Chrysler Imperial and our new to us house.

So possibly still on project overload but more manageable. With two trailers one will always stay campable, even if just silver tent status.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:20 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post

You know, I never spent a night in the 66 Trade Wind. My wife much prefers her 86 Limited. That's the one we use for our long trips. Lack of use is another reason I decided to sell.

David

David

Surprised that you never camped in your beautiful 66 Tradewind. You know what they say about the journey being more important than the destination. Hopefully your Overlander will be more suitable for camping for your family. Plus you can apply all the lessons learned on your Tradewind renovation to the renovation of your Overlander.

Hittenstiehl

Glad to hear that your Tradewind went to a good home. My 66 Tradewind is definitely a keeper. Not sure about the 95 34 footer. I suspect it will be once I start working on it though. I tend to get attached to things and don’t want to sell them.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 03:55 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
I tend to get attached to things and don’t want to sell them.
I'm with Dan on this point. My motto is "Get in a rut and furnish it." My vehicles must have at least 200,000 miles on them before I am ready to part with them. I've only owned two houses, the first for 15 years and the second and current one for 28. Suits have to be beyond stitching back together before they land in the Goodwill box. Shoes get new soles and heels so long as they are still capable of holding the stitches. Marathon and 10K tee shirts remain wardrobe staples long past the time when they are no longer meet the standards for wearing in public. The only thing that separates me from being a hoarder is that I use the stuff I have and only buy new, or lightly used, replacements when I part with something.
Slats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:48 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Truth be known I may enjoy working on old Airstreams more than camping in them. And truth be known I enjoy the challenge and enjoyment of something new.

My son took the Trade Wind out several times. He liked it over his Globetrotter. But the Trade Wind has all these special parts and I was worried about a broken window or door lockset or something else. My son is one of those who has bad luck with things mechanical. So I'm trying something new with the 75 Overlander.

Here is a photo of the Trade Wind actually getting used. We had an enjoyable two nights out. My son said the Trade Wind worked good in spite of my meddling with it.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1607 Wellington Trade Wind (Small).JPG
Views:	23
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	300910  
Old 12-14-2017, 09:03 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Blairstown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
My son said the Trade Wind worked good in spite of my meddling with it.
That Trade is worlds better because of you.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:54 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Thanks rasmuw: I'm sure it is better than when I towed it home. It had no appliances except the stove and the AC. The plumbing didn't work, but the electrical system was okay, even in aluminum wire. It had a bad case of floor rot under the toilet. The axles were shot, and many little things didn't work right, like the stove vent fan.

It was fun to get it back on the road with everything working normally. I hope the new owners enjoy traveling with it as much as I did working on it.

Hittenstiehl did a lot of major work to this trailer. I'll bet the trailer will also make it back on the road with all the comforts it came with originally. The new owners will be fired up.

David