Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
Kir
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pleasant Ridge , Michigan
'65 Tradewind Window Repair

My husband and I are in the process of repairing our "new" '65 Tradewind. Currently on the agenda is: fixing rusted rear frame, removing inner skins to install new insulation, and next- fixing two broken windows.

I'm looking for suggestions on replacing two broken windows- the PO had poorly replaced these with plexiglass. Both are now cracked, and the frame itself is falling apart- the slots that hold the glass in place are detached... it's really a mess.
I really want to do this right...

Has anybody went through this process? Any tips specific to the '65? Best resource for new glass? (from what I've gathered, inland RV seems to be the place)

Thoughts are much appreciated!!!

Pictures to follow...

Kir
Kir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Which windows are you replacing?
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir View Post
My husband and I are in the process of repairing our "new" '65 Tradewind. Currently on the agenda is: fixing rusted rear frame, removing inner skins to install new insulation, and next- fixing two broken windows.

I'm looking for suggestions on replacing two broken windows- the PO had poorly replaced these with plexiglass. Both are now cracked, and the frame itself is falling apart- the slots that hold the glass in place are detached... it's really a mess.
I really want to do this right...

Has anybody went through this process? Any tips specific to the '65? Best resource for new glass? (from what I've gathered, inland RV seems to be the place)

Thoughts are much appreciated!!!

Pictures to follow...

Kir
Kri.

We have glass that started with the 1966 models.

A 1965 Airstream uses ordinary double strength window glass that you can purchase at most hardware stoes, Home Depot and the like.

Please post the trailer serial number to confirm the year.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Orange , Texas
I also have a 65 and are looking for replacements and repairs to the frames of windows. Any suggestions? I'm going to gut and save what I can and do a full floor replacement. Looking at what I've done so far I think that's possible without removing the shell. Any thoughts on that? Anything I should look out for? Running new water and plumbing as needed plus electrical. Anything there I should know about? Roof air will be installed also, anything to worry about here? Thanks

Rex
rexcowart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcowart View Post
I also have a 65 and are looking for replacements and repairs to the frames of windows. Any suggestions? I'm going to gut and save what I can and do a full floor replacement. Looking at what I've done so far I think that's possible without removing the shell. Any thoughts on that? Anything I should look out for? Running new water and plumbing as needed plus electrical. Anything there I should know about? Roof air will be installed also, anything to worry about here? Thanks

Rex
Rex.

The only window parts that are available, is the lift arms and the latches at the bottom.

The floor is a part of the monocoque construction. If you splice it, you will weaken the design, which is a bad idea.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:36 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I had a couple of my 65 frames tig welded at a local welding shop, turned out great. Cost was about $40 each!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Orange , Texas
Cochese are you talking about window frames you had welded?
Old 05-08-2015, 01:28 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Orange , Texas
Inland RV Center I understand about the floor, may have to remove shell to complete other tasks anyway so I can solve all issues that way. Also as far as windows, my frames are not curved so couldn't I just install house aluminum windows?