Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1959-69 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2002, 09:42 PM   #1
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
'59 Trade Wind

1959 was the first year for the Trade Wind model name. It continued through 1974, changing in length from 24' to 25' in 1969. Several different floor plans were available, i.e.: front couch vs. booth, two twin beds vs. a double, etc. The early years had a single axle with either hydraulic or electric brakes.

My wife and I have a '59 and it is currently going through a renovation. Would like to hear from other early Trade Wind owners.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 09:59 PM   #2
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Question

When you say the early years do you mean 1959 - 1969 when they changed lengths? Or was it at some other point when they switched to double axle?

I would like to merge the forums like this:
1959-69 Tradewind
1970-74 Tradewind

Does that sound logical? If there is a lot of variation between the years, that is probably not a good idea.

What do you think?
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 08:11 AM   #3
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Trade Wind Thread

The Trade Wind model went to 25' in 1969, the same year that all of the Airstreams went to 7' wide. I'm not sure when the model went to a tandem axle. Your division of model years looks like a logical separation.
Old 03-16-2002, 10:33 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Hi all! 1969 was also the first year for the newer body style "more rounded sides". I feel this that a logical break point would 59-68 and 69-74. Just my 2 cents worth ! Tom
71tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 01:33 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

model change

1965 was the 1st year that the TradeWind became standard with a tandem axle. This was also the year the "door within a door" was dropped in favour of a separate screen door. I have heard of one pre 65 TradeWind with tandem axle, probably a custom order.
I have attached a photo showing both door styles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	doors.jpg
Views:	1492
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	34  
VAC
https://pages.sprint.ca/Streamsite/main.html
66TradeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 10:10 AM   #6

Hello flyfshr,

I have a 1960 Tradewind which is mostly original except for a new furnace, curtains, and floor covering.

The refrigerator is not working though and is next for either repair or replacement.

The water heater is electric and since we do not spend much time in campgrounds we want to change it out for propane at some point.

With respect to the division of the forumn into 59 thru 69 and 71 thru 74; I agree with Tom that it makes more sense to divide it at the point where the body shape and length changed. Is there some other reason for including 69 in the first catagory?

Thanks... John
thisisJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 11:19 AM   #7
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Division of the Trade Wind Year Classification

Hi 'thisisjohn',
We went through the same thing with the water heater. We put a 10 gallon Suburban under the sink. Tight fit but it worked out well. Would like to hear more about your Trade Wind. Any photos available?

I agree with you about the division of model years ending with the '68 Trade Wind. '69 brought about some significant changes in design.
Old 07-31-2002, 02:39 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

, Utah
I'm new to this forum and noticed the post. I'm thinking about aquiring a '59 Trade Wind that is probably 98% orginal and everything is working. It has a later model AC unit, that is working, on top. It is in need of alot of elbow grease and TLC and I don't think it has any major problems. Is is a double bed model and still has the original airstream couch in the front. I've been checking out all the Airstream sites that I can find to learn more about them. Will try to keep you updated you if I get it.

Rod
rschulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 08:00 AM   #9
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Smile Good Luck in Your Acquisition

Hi Rod. Finding a vintage Airstream in that condition is rare. I hope you are able to get it. Keep us posted. I would be interested in the serial number of the trailer and place of manufacture even if you don't get it. Any chance of seeing photos? What state are you located in? Only reason I ask is because I don't think there are many of the '59 Trade Winds around and I kind of like to keep track of them. Email me off list if you prefer: stream2699@cox.net. Thanks.

flyfshr
Phx
Old 08-03-2002, 10:23 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

, Utah
This Trade Wind was built in California. It's been owned for about 30 years by my father in law and is in Idaho. I asked him to look at the ID tag on it and he said that it has a date of 10/58 on it. It also had 24D 0129 on it. I'm not sure if that is the serial number or not. I'm hoping to be visiting them in the next few weeks and maybe I'll know more about what I'm looking for by then. It used to have the large red numbers on it but I think that any trace of them is long gone. He's thinking about letting it go and I'm hoping to have an inside track on it. Is there a Airstream registry
somewhere?

Rod
Old 08-03-2002, 11:27 PM   #11
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Serial Number Breakdown for a '59

Rod...that number is the serial number. Let me break it down for you: 24 = length (Trade Wind), D = double bed, 0129 = the 129th Trade Wind made for that model year or in this case because 1959 is the first year of the Trade Wind, it is the 129th one made in CA. 10/58 is the month and year of manufacture, after the sixth month, trailers were listed as next model year. There is not an Airstream Registry, but a couple of us have been trying to put one together through a Vintage Airstream Survey. The large red letters that you say are long gone were the member numbers of the Wally Byam Caravan Club Inc. Wally invented the Airstream with his first one out in 1936. My number is 2599. Do your best to get this trailer. Good luck.

flyfshr
Old 08-05-2002, 09:44 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

, Utah
Thanks for the info, it sounds like this is one of the earlier Trade Winds built and that is pretty exciting. I think my dad in law is the second owner and he told me that the prevoius owner was an active member of the Wally Byam Caravan Club Inc. and traveled quite a bit with it. I'll look and see it there is any trace of the numbers on it the next time I see it.

I'm trying to get hold of a copy of the book on the history of the Airstreams and I think I've found one and hope to have it today. Hopefully I can learn enough about these trailers so that I know what is original and don't mess it up in my zeal to restore it.

Rod
Old 08-05-2002, 06:45 PM   #13
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
1959 was the first year for the Trade Wind model and re-introduced a length (24 feet) that hadn't been around in a while. Do you have any means of sending interior photographs? I could help you determine what is original. Look up my photos for a few samples of my Trade Wind. I'll post some new ones in the next few days.

flyfshr
Old 08-06-2002, 08:29 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

, Utah
Enjoyed the photos. I will see if I can line up a digital camera before my road trip to the in-laws. Read the book "Airstream" by Landau and Phillippi last night. Some good info but I felt I was reading a sales pamplet on sterods. Are there was books out there more about the nuts and bolts side of the Airstreams?

Rod
Old 08-07-2002, 12:52 AM   #15
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Following Up

Rod,
I look forward to seeing photos if that is possible. There really isn't any "books out there more about the nuts and bolts side of the Airstreams" that I have found. Bryan Burkhart has the best one I've seen, but there aren't that many out there to begin with. Your best source of info is to join the Vintage Airstream Club and hook into their discussion group online. It is an invaluable source of info and a bunch of great folks that are very knowledgeable about all things vintage Airstream. I couldn't have accomplished what I did without knowing help was just an email away.

Brad
flyfshr
Old 08-29-2002, 05:21 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

, Utah
flyfshr,

First, thanks for the replies and help. We spent a few days recently with the in-laws and I looked over the "old" Airstream several times. Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera and never got one lined up, it is on my Christmas list though.

Here's a brief summary of the things I found that I can remember;

Exterior-
-I think the club number on the front and back is 7051
-Skin in pretty good condition. A few minor scrapes and dings. It will need a lot of elbow grease to bring a polish to it. I don't think I saw any corrosion on it.
-The belly has a few dents and one or two small holes.
-Rubber molding around windows has shrunk and is dried out.
-Seal around door all but gone.
-Hydraulic brakes that dad swears by. The car that last pulled this trailer with the hydraulic brakes setup gave up the ghost at least 15 years ago. He has the setup from the car.

Interior-
-It appears that the stove was replaced with something out of the 60's. It's brown and someone repainted the original white frig to "kind of" match the stove.
-Much of the wood is delaminating and dried out.
-Toilet is not original and it doesn't have a holding tank. My dad-in-law calls it a park model. Were holding tanks around in 1959?
-A fresh water tank was installed in front behind the couch. It looks like it was not secured and it put a hole in the front street side corner of the interior wall about a foot long and there is pink insulation sticking out of the hole.
-Interior is very dusty, well ok dirty, and it has lots of cobwebs and mouse droppings tossed in for good measure.
-It looks like it has the original tile floor with indoor/outdoor carpeting glued on top of it.
-It appears to be all there, no parts lost or borrowed over the years.

I hadn't really looked at this Airstream in several years so it was a shock to see what time had done to it. How I'm wondering if I have the time and skills and money to tackle a project like this. Dad hasn't said that he's really to part with it yet so I asked him if I could look into trying to replace to window moldings and the seal around the door "maybe keep some of the dust out". Start with some baby steps and see now that goes. Do you know of any good source for this?

Well need to run for now,

Rod
1959 Trade Wind
Old 08-29-2002, 07:58 PM   #17
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Rod,
Sounds like you've a big project on your hands. Don't get discouraged. Once you start, you'll find it's lots of fun, especially getting individual tasks done. You'll need to look at it that way or it will become overwhelming. Yes, there is one supplier that I know of because I've ordered from him before. His name is Richard Rodrigues and his number is 526-869-0457 or you can email him at putzrs@aol.com. Tell him what you're looking for and the year of your Airstream, he'll be able to get you what you need. As far as the grey waste water tanks, they didn't come along until the mid 60s. Mine didn't have a grey or black water collection either. I put in a black tank and use one of those underneath the trailer portable blue tanks in the 11 gallon size. My stove is a Princess brand is the original brown color, which is quite common. I've seen them in a light yellow as well. In most cases, the color of the original refrigerator matched the stove. If it was painted to match, its probably not original to the trailer. Mine was missing when I got it so I can't help you identify the manufacturer. How bad is the wood delaminating and is most of the delamination still there? If so, you may be able to reglue it. If its missing, you should be able to match the wood with a veneer sheet at a woodworker's supply store and apply right over the old, sanded surface. I did this and am very happy with the results. Did you hook the electrical up to 110 volt power? Are all of the light fixtures in place? Is it wired for 12 volt? How's the countertops in the galley and the bathroom? If I remember correctly, you said before you live a distance away from the unit?

flyfshr
Old 08-29-2002, 10:13 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

, Utah
flyfshr,
Thanks for the reply, the parts source, and the encouragement. After I posted the last reply. I was surfing and checking out some of the other "projects". I've thinking that maybe this A/S isn't in that bad of shape.

The stove in this A/S is also a Princess brand. There is a place for the back left burner on it but nothing is there. Dad says that they were built that way, he thought because of fire danger.

The wood is all very dry with some delamination. Nobody has really been in it for several years so the there is very little wood chipped or missing.

I think the counters in the galley and the bedroom are really in pretty good shape. I'll take a closer look next trip. A good layer of dust must have help preserve them I guess.

It's out behind a building so power is kind of hard to get to it. I'll have to see what I can do on the next trip. It has all the light fixtures but the plastic shades are britle and broken. I'm a little concerned about the wiring because of the age and mice.

Another note, I tried looking the best I could at the floor for soft spots and I didn't find any so hopefully that a good sign. Also I didn't find any water stains anywhere. And yes, this Airstream is about 5-6 hours away.

I looks like I'll be getting an education on water storage and collection because this is all pretty new to me. Actually it RVing in general I guess that I'm going to need to get up to speed on. My dad in law has this Trade Wind and my mom has a '70 31' Soveriegn put either A/S move very often. Seems like an A/S should be moving.

rod
Old 12-22-2002, 09:01 AM   #19
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Give us an update...

Rod. Did you end up acquiring the Trade Wind. Haven't heard from you in a while and was just wondering. Fill us in...

Brad

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:01 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

, Utah
Hi Brad,

Nope, nothing new yet, The Trade Wind is still setting on a farm in Idaho. We'll see now things are once spring breaks. I've looked at it a few more times and it sure has a lot of work that needs to be done. But we'll see what the future brings.

Rod