Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2005, 08:23 AM   #101
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I can't believe my spelling in the above post. I meant to say 'couch' but spelled it 'coach' and I did it twice. Duh!!

Anyway, welcome Broncman to the Forums and ownership of the fabulous '59er Trade Winds. There are a few of us on here and we're a helpful bunch.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 12:41 PM   #102
1 Rivet Member

1951 25' Cruiser
Clyde , North Carolina
I was wondereing what coach was? Just afraid to ask too many questions . It does have a couch though! Thanks for all the help so far guys! it is neat to run into a group of people as kind and enthusiastic about their hobbies and stuff. I belong to a group for Early Ford Bronco's and you guys seem to be as fanatic as we are! I really look forward to fixing this one. Was wondering how my three teenage sons would react. They do not see the beauty in older designs and old cars and equipment as I do. They actually liked it and think it is "cool"..
broncman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:08 PM   #103
Flyfishing, Guitars

1959 24' Tradewind
Breckenridge , Texas
Window to the right of the door

So, If I read the correctly, the fact that my 59tw double has widows ahead of the door means it came with a couch?

Remember mine came with two recliners up there so i really do not know.

Steve
59TW0132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:14 PM   #104
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Yes Steve. It had a couch up front. Recliners were an old Arkansas's way of kicking back and relaxing. You ever get that window in?

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:35 PM   #105
Flyfishing, Guitars

1959 24' Tradewind
Breckenridge , Texas
Widow

Brad,

Window will require some big changes. Too narrow. Still hope though since all the parts are here.

Had mucho trouble getting back on this Forum. Seems the new AOL security coupled with the new format here did me in. I finally just kept at it until I got enough answers to make it happen.

Have been reading all about floor evaluation/replacement the past few days and am about ready to go out there and do some serious checking.

Have a new digital camera now so hope to be able to get some help working through this re-do.

Steve
59TW0132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 10:20 PM   #106
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Glad to have you back Steve and also glad to hear you're getting to the Trade Wind. Tons of help here for all of your questions. Ask away, forums members are a great resource. Post pictures, lots of pictures.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:15 PM   #107
2 Rivet Member

, Utah
Bump

Hi Brad and all,

Just a quick bump to let you know that I am still alive and kickin'. Still have the Tradewind, but not much process this last year. I did get the rear vent fixed before winter so it's working now and not leaking. I am also a firm believer in the Bounce fabric softener that Brad mentioned. We have several of them in drawers and cabinets and have not seen any mouse mice. Hope to get back to the AS this spring now that it appears to be finally here.

Rod
rschulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 02:45 PM   #108
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Hi Rod ~
Good to hear from you and glad you're gearing up for the Trade Wind. Your door handle still holding up? Keep us up to date with your progress. I've been working on ours for the last few months. Spring's already here in sunny Arizona and soon it will be summer and all outside work ceases.

Brad

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:57 AM   #109
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
BREA , California
let me start off by saying how excited i am to have found this site.
i think you guys will get a kick out of me and my trailer.
this is my first post, so it may be long, im gonna lay it all out there.
please respond with anything, im highly interested in learning as much as possible.
heck i just learned about the windows in front of the door, cant wait to tell wifey.
heres my story.
im mike, 26 yrs old and i have owned my 59 tradewind for about 2 years. i purchased it from the original family. the original owner gave it to his son in 1990. i acquired it in 2004. it is almost all original and in excellent condition. upgrades include bigger holding tanks, bigger water heater, removed the wall heater and made it into a pantry. it has a newer fridge. newer ac/heater on top, newer a&e awning. it has the original sinks, princess stove, etc.
mine was originally built in norwalk ca. and the original owners were from huntington beach. so there were modifications done by airstream. those modifications include, removing the couch and installing a wrap around dinette nook (collapses into a bed), and installing a twin bunk above the double bed. so it went from sleeping 2, to sleeping 5 or 6. again, this was done by airstream. other stuff includes new propane tanks, it has (dont know what you call them) but it has jacks attached under the trailer that i crank down to the ground. cant really think of much else. the family i bought it from used it regular, so it is updated as far as electrical, plumbing, otherwise it is all original, original wood, original paint inside (that funky stuff, cant remember what its called), handles, windows, vents, sinks, etc etc.
we really did find a dimand in the rough with this one.
only downside, in its close to 50 yr life, it was not once polished, the outer skin is great, its just a flat grey. but thats ok, the interior and overall condition make up for the lack of shine.
and if you dont hate me yet (LOL), i recently purchased a 1959 cadillac coupe deville . and yes, that is my tow car!!! so if you ever see a 59 towing a 59, say hi, thats me!!!!

i will attach pics as soon as possible.
also feel free to email me, mjlynn@mercuryinsurance.com
i look forward to hearing from you guys, and again, im very excited to have found this site.
59tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:23 AM   #110
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
BREA , California
i dont have pics of my setup on here yet, but i was going through the rally portion and someone was kind enough to take a pic of my setup at the last rally and posted on here. so i copied to show it in this thread.

here is a picture of my last rally.
im still going to try and get better pics for you guys.

Old 06-02-2006, 01:25 PM   #111
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
You need to paint a X and circle on the hood for landing helos, you can launch landing craft out the back.

Very nice. I am extremely envious.

- another '59 TW owner.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:25 PM   #112
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
BREA , California
LOL thats original, everyone else calls me batman and tells me it is the batmobile!!! LOL

yeah we lucked out, we got the caddy about 3 weeks ago, when my wife told me about it, i was like 'yeah right', but it was too good to pass up, and it is the ultimate tow vehicle as far as my trailer is concerned!!!

it towed great too!
didnt overheat at all
and it even got 10mpg!!!!!
Old 06-29-2006, 06:41 AM   #113
Ledbehind

2018 16' Sport
Great Falls , Virginia
Nice Quackallac!

Cool tow vehicle!

What did I just read on this string about mice and using bounce fabric softener sheets to keep them out?

Henry
henrydahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 07:03 AM   #114
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
For some, including me, the Bounce dryer sheets have kept mice and other vermin out of my trailer. For some reason, others it has not. All I can say is there were the beginning signs of mice and ants getting into the trailer and once I put out an open box of Bounce they all left and no sign of them ever again. Coincidence? Maybe, but unlikely.

Disclaimer: Your mileage may vary.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:43 AM   #115
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
New '59 Tradewind Owner

Yesterday started routinely. Today I awaken at 0430 as a new owner of a '59 Tradewind, mind full of questions. It is an Ohio trailer, VIN 249114, with couch in front (no dinette). It has been resting peacefully for 20 years - not once on the road - in a barn in Iowa, and appears to be essentially original excepting the air conditioner on the roof.
I'm leaving here in 10 days, driving 1300 miles north with my '92 Excella, and will be on the Bulkley River in BC fly fishing for steelhead. (What's the deal with the high incidence of fly fishing among '59 TW owners??)
When I return in October, I'm driving to Iowa to bring my new acquisition home (Portland, OR), a 1700 mile towing adventure. Here are some questions arising at 0430 - advice would be most welcome.
1. Wheels and tires. I assume the trailer still has the original split rims. Can I buy "6 bolt Chevy rims" and a pair of Goodyear Marathons now and be ready to swap out the originals in Iowa? What rims will fit? How about tire size? Load range C?
2. Electrical. Can I connect tow vehicle and trailer if I do not have a trailer battery? How large a battery can fit in the box on the tongue? The owner says the trailer has a 6-pin plug. Are there ready-made adaptors to mate up with my 7-pin socket on my truck?
3. Hitching. Is the trailer coupler sized for a 2 5/16 inch ball? I have a stock '03 Duramax with 4WD. Any guess as to how much of a drop I want on the hitch? Maybe 4 or 6 inches?
4. Brakes. Are the trailer brakes hydraulic or electric? If hydraulic, I'd assume setup with the tow vehicle is no minor job, and I'd need a dealer's help before getting far on the road.
5. Unknowns. Anything other topics under the heading of "Things to be sure to do before towing a 47 year old trailer for 1700 miles??"
Thanks a million! You'll be hearing more from me. Any general info on these trailers would also be valued - feel free to PM me, or email at trackus@coho.net.
Mark
Mark Wiltrakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 11:53 AM   #116
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Hi Mark ~

I have been watching with great interest the Ebay auction of this trialer. Glad it found a good home and the owner is a member here. We both have serial numbers 114. Yours OH - mine CA. How cool is that?
I'll try to provide some insight to your questions:

1. When I purchased our 59TW, I borrowed a spare from a 60TW owner here in town in order to match the bolt pattern and offset. I'm sorry to say that I don't know what either of them are. I'll look through my old receipts and see what I can find if no one else chimes in.
2. You won't need a battery in the trailer in order to tow. The power to the marker, tail and brake lights is supplied from the tow vehicle. The battery for the box under the front window is listed here somewhere on the forums. A search for tradewind battery should provide the results but since one isn't needed for towing, wait until you get it home and can look into the 12 volt system more thoroughly.
3. Mine has a 2" ball with a 19" hitch height. Not sure if OH is any different. Seriously doubt it.
4. Mine were originally hydraulic and we brought it home without brakes. Have since switched over to electric. Not sure about your trailer. Hydraulic was the standard and an owner could request an upgrade to electric. Can the seller provide you with what this currently has? If not, a close examination of the hitch in the photos should reveal a hydraulkic coupler if they are indeed hydraulic.
5. There are tons of unknowns so be prepared. Bring along a stocked toolbox, electrical wire, electrical tape, 12 volt bulbs, circuit tester, aluminum tape, floor jack, cordless drill, rivets, rivet gun, bungee cords, rope, quick ties, and plenty of patience.

Couple of items of interest: secure the entry door by any means necessary. Don't ask me how I know this. Also check all of the roof vents and secure them if necessary with aluminum tape. They are no fun to replace.

Have a safe journey and we're glad you're here and another early TradeWind is now part of the fleet.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:29 PM   #117
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Brad -
Thanks for your reply and for the info. I'm happy to share a serial # with you!
How far did you tow without brakes, and how did that go? I thought of that possibility, but wasn't sure it was realistic. My Chevy is heavy-duty in all departments, and I'd suspect the brakes can handle a lot of additional load. The seller recently bought the trailer from an elderly woman in town, the prior 20 year owner. The seller is not very knowledgable about the trailer, but I'll see if he knows anything its current brake system.
I'd already thought about a wooden wedge for the entry door and also the floor jack, but the suggestion for securing the roof vents is a good one.
Mark
Old 09-03-2006, 02:00 PM   #118
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Mark ~

We towed from north of the SF Bay to Phoenix with a '95 Surbuban without incident. I say this because I wasn't the one towing.

I'll look over the pictures to see if there is any indication of a coupler on the tongue for the hydraulic brakes. Do you have any more pix than the ones on the Ebay auction?

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:25 PM   #119
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Brad -

I have no other photos of the trailer. I reviewed the available photos, but can't say that I'm any further ahead (not knowing what the hydraulic system looks like!).
Mark
Old 09-03-2006, 03:34 PM   #120
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Mark,

My Ohio built '59 Tradewind (SN 249082) had electric brakes. They were still operational before I replaced the axle. The hitch height was 18-18.5 inches.

The brakes were listed as 6V brakes, but the magnets had the same impedance as current magnets, about 3 ohms, so I don't think that would be an issue. After a few basic adjustments of the controller, I towed it home with no problems.

Be sure you pull the bearings and inspect and repack before you leave.

The biggest problem will be figuring out the wiring for the tail-lights and turn signals. I have a wiring diagram, send me your fax number and I will send you a copy.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote