Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1959-69 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2005, 08:09 PM   #81
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Neither of the ones on this side of town are roadworthy at the moment.

Sounds like time for a mobile backyard rally. Saturday at one house, Sunday at the other.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 08:10 PM   #82
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Glad to hear of another '59 TW. They are the bomb! I want to hear all about it. Any pictures to share? What's your floorplan? Yours is an Ohio built unit, just in case you didn't know. I may have some interior parts coming my way. What do ya need?

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 09:11 PM   #83
2 Winds

1964 24' Tradewind
1959 24' Tradewind
St. Paul , Minnesota
I saw you were in Minnesota, Mark, and you have two. My '59 currently sits up in the 'lakes region' of Alexandria (a funny name because isn't Minnesota all lakes?). As it's 2 hours away, work is sporadic. I've been going two directions at once: tearing out a bad addition (bench on street side) and fixing up the kitchen (new vinyl counter, scoured oven and rustproofed). I would be interested in parts, though mostly it's the big pieces that are missing - like the couch. My vent cranks don't work; any way to revive them? I will post pictures soon.
Drew
2 Winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 09:29 PM   #84
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
By "we" I was speaking collectively for the west Minneapolis contingent of the old Tradewind club. The '60 Tradewind belongs to Tucker Masui. He has a great Tradewind that's gutted for a complete restore, just like mine.

I have all the original furnishing for mine. My wife's uncle bought it new in 1959, so we have the complete history.

The vent cranks can be fixed, but it requires prying out the pin in the top of the cylinder. Try soaking in WD-40 first.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 10:13 PM   #85
2 Winds

1964 24' Tradewind
1959 24' Tradewind
St. Paul , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr
What's your floorplan? Yours is an Ohio built unit, just in case you didn't know.

FF
Brad, I just visited your website and have to say congratulations! I have some "before" photos like that. Oh my. It's come a long way. And it feels like such a long way to go.
My floor plan is open right now. PO had put in a bench of dark, heavy wood on street side. I'm thinking of a new bench, though I like the twin beds with drawers below. Either way, the current bed needs renovation. I too have an electric water heater and would prefer gas ('64 has that). I really like what you did with the water and electricity up front. My electricity works on 12v but have yet to map it out completely (I've blown a few light bulbs with the 110 ). What did you do for waste water storage? More details and questions to come.
Drew
Old 04-05-2005, 10:24 PM   #86
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Thanks for the kind words Drew. It took alot of work but I enjoyed every minute of it. What I used for waste water storage is I put in a black water tank under the commode. Had to built a box for it above the floor to support the toilet which was easy enough but now the tank has a slow leak, at least I think its the tank. Not looking forward to getting in there and fixing that. I use one of those blue totes for the grey water. Kind of a pain.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:01 AM   #87
2 Winds

1964 24' Tradewind
1959 24' Tradewind
St. Paul , Minnesota
interior paint and wood

FF on your pics it looks like you went down to the metal on the interior. How did you do that? Mine had a horrible mauve paint job, and a poor one at that. We covered it up to make it liveable. While it's cleaned out as it is I'm considering my options. Did the original '59s use zolatone?

Also, I'm curious about the wood you used. I think you said it was a mahagony?

Some internet hook up problems on this end the past couple days, but I'll try to get a photo or two posted this weekend.

Drew
Old 04-08-2005, 08:41 AM   #88
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Interior Paint and Wood
The Airstream facory used a number of different woods in their products back in the late '50/early '60s, mahoganey was one such wood. I particularly love the richness of the reddish wood, so warm and relaxing. In areas I needed to do repair work, I specifically repaired/replaced with mahoganey to keep it looking original. There are two grades of mahoganey, Philippine and Honduras, with the Philippine being the choice of the AS plant back then. In a couple of areas, like behind the furnace from floor to ceiling, I used a mahoganey veneer to cover the water damaged original wood.

After starting interior renovations, my wife and I decided we wanted to polish the interior skins to reflect the look of the outside. Besides a number of POs had painted the walls with a number of different paints. The top layer had texture in it something resembling stucco. All of this had to go. The PO-applied paint came off easily but the Zolotone was a bear. We tried a number of different products and finally found a product called Aircraft Stripper. This stuff did the trick on the bullet-proof Zolotone but it will also do the trick on almost anything it comes in contact with. Read here "Big Nasty in a Can." Handle with care and give it your utmost respect. Once part of the front area was stripped of Zolotone, we couldn't wait to polish it. With the interior aluminum being protected by the Zolotone almost since being installed, it polished up by hand without much effort. After the polishing though we found a number of things that made us change our mind about polishing the interior. 1) the factory used a number of different grades of aluminum on the interior probably knowing that it would be painted over anyway. These didn't polish up the same. 2) the factory workers scribed the surface of the aluminum to indicate where to rivet to the ribs. These wouldn't polish out so easily...and 3) the interior woodwork, with its warm and cozy feeling from all of the exposed mahoganey, would constrast with all of the reflections and refracted light bouncing around. It was just too busy. It also detracted from the woodwork and that's what I love about this vintage of coach, all of the woodwork.

We've never regretted our decision on not polishing the interior. We used a hand applied interior house paint that is washable and of a slightly off-white color. Reapplying a Zolotone finish was our first choice but in order to do it right all of the interior would need to come out and we were so close to being done, that was out of the question. By this time, we wanted to go camping!!

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:00 PM   #89
2 Winds

1964 24' Tradewind
1959 24' Tradewind
St. Paul , Minnesota
'59 interiors

A belated thanks, Flyfisher, for your description of your interior work. I've been working on my '64. Ordered a fridge for it this last week, cutting drapes tomorrow, and replacing the water pump too, so nearly ready for its first tour. This weekend I got over to see my '59 and enjoyed the warm color of the mahogany. My '64 cabinets (oak? veneer plywood) are much more solid than those of the '59, but the mahogany is a nice feature and adds to the character of the '59. I suppose that wood was used in a number of years, yes? I actually ran across some cheap mahogany this weekend that might help in repairs, though it was from Malaysia and a bit more red in it.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:29 PM   #90
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Suburbanbloom
Hi Folks,
Great thread! I (we) have a '59 Tradewind, mostly original. I would love to redo it, but... never seem to find the time. My intentions were to gut it and start from scratch. I can visualize a black and white interior and lots of pink flamingo's. However, we also have a '76 Sovereign (Route 66 theme) that we continue to pour $$$ into... my hubby says enough is enough! We do not need both, and I cannot decide which one to pass on... Your thoughts? (This may be a stupid question since I am in a Tradewind forum).
Old 06-26-2005, 09:46 AM   #91
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Hi Mary -
Welcome to the forums and you're right, this is a Trade Wind thread, so you know my answer. I'd like to hear more about this Trade Wind of yours, like the serial number, floorplan, anything you'd like to share. Pictures would be great too. I've started a TradeWind registry for '59 and '60 models. So far I have collected data on 26 Trade Winds. Sure like to add yours to the list.

Update: There are now 55 TradeWind's on the list. Keep the info coming.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:55 PM   #92
1 Rivet Member

1960 Tradewind

Not sure if I'm posting correctly or not, but I have a 1960 Tradewind and I'm happy to have found this thread because I've already learned a few things by reading it. I purchased mine in Bat Cave, NC and its base is now in Louisiana.

I saw a 60 Tradewind go on eBay this week for $6,600. It was a super nice, but it didn't have an AC and that doesn't work well in Louisiana. The thought crossed my mind but I'm not sure that I need two 60 Tradewinds.
gmprejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 04:55 PM   #93

1971 27' Overlander
1959 26' Overlander
Lake Wylie , South Carolina
Great Thread

Just last night, I acquired a 59 Airstream. Even though its a 26 footer there is lots of info in this message thread for someone starting out new - with a fairly old airstream. Thanks Folks
SC Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 05:23 PM   #94
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Overlander
Just last night, I acquired a 59 Airstream. Even though its a 26 footer there is lots of info in this message thread for someone starting out new - with a fairly old airstream. Thanks Folks
Congrats to you! Good luck and keep us posted!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 08:55 PM   #95
1 Rivet Member

1951 25' Cruiser
Clyde , North Carolina
How do I determine year model?

Hy folks, My uncle and I just acquired a early model tradewind. He thought it was a 51 but obviously not. I have a bunch of pics and pics of the badge and serial number. It has the couch up front, 2 twin beds and bathroom combo in back. It was from the original owner and has been setting under some trees for A LONG time. I am going to replace the tires and go through the bearings before I haul it to my place. The rear bumper has some rust that looks indicative of rust on the frame under the toilet shower area. I am 35 and have been restoring old vehicles and doing highend custom work since my twenties. I am so stoked over this. I have three sons and we have a yearly spot in a campground that this will reside in. Seems to be very tight, gaskets around doors are bad though and I wil have to remove the rear belly pan to reapair the rust.
How do I determin year model? it has a beige zolatone looking interior. I just got the pics so I will post em when I get them downloaded.
broncman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 09:02 PM   #96
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncman
...How do I determin year model? it has a beige zolatone looking interior. I just got the pics so I will post em when I get them downloaded.
Broncman,

What is the serial number?

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 09:16 PM   #97
1 Rivet Member

1951 25' Cruiser
Clyde , North Carolina
249021 ! I BELIEVE this is number 21 of the 59 year model
Old 10-08-2005, 09:32 PM   #98
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncman
249021 ! I BELIEVE this is number 21 of the 59 year model
According to RJ Dial's site VintageAirstream.com you have an Ohio built 1959 Tradewind.

http://www.vintageairstream.com/arch...wind/59TW.html

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 09:43 PM   #99
1 Rivet Member

1951 25' Cruiser
Clyde , North Carolina
I fouind that same link just a few minutes ago. Why do some have no windows to the right of the door and some have a stacked window? This one has the windows to the right of the door??
Old 10-08-2005, 10:21 PM   #100
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Placement of the windows ahead of the door indicate it has a couch in the front as opposed to a booth. The couch models have the door just about 1 1/2 feet further back towards the axle than the ones with the dinette. Mine is the one that is the first on RJ's archive page. Can't wait to see your pictures and I'll add your trailer to my registry. I'll PM you for more details. Glad to see another one got saved.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.