Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2019, 03:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Berlin , Berlin
24' 1967 Trade Wind - holding tanks

Hi Airstreamers!

My name is Severin and I'm from Bavaria.
My wife and I bought a 24' 1967 Trade Wind.

There is a company in Germany whitch imports Airstreams from the US.

The plan is to renovate and convert it for traveling through Europe.

We're thinking about getting the work of subflorr/frame etc. done by the company importing the trailers to Germany. But since they mostly convert Airstreams into streetfood trailers they don't know much about holding tanks.

So here is my question:
Where sits the greywater holding tank on the 24' 1967 Trade Wind.
And is it possible to keep the old one? Or should we have a new one?

What are your thoughts and tips?

All the best from Germany.
Severin
severin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!

They didn't start installing grey water tanks in Airstream trailers until 1973, so back when your trailer was produced, it was common practice to just let the grey water run out on the ground if you weren't hooked up to a sewer.

When retrofitting a vintage trailer with holding tanks, the strategy is typically to put them as close to the axle as possible to maintain the empty tank tongue weight.

The next question you will have to consider is whether you will allow your tanks to extend through/below the belly skin, or to be completely concealed within the frame rails and above the belly skin. Vintage Trailer Supply makes very thin tanks specifically for the latter wet-up.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Here is a link to VTS

https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com...-p/vts-851.htm
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome from Colorado, USA: I've traveled to Germany and enjoy it very much. What an engineering powerhouse!

I had a 1966 Trade Wind 24'. I installed new grey and black waste water tanks in my trailer. It is a huge project, but if I can do it, so can you. I will explain a little bit.

The trailer came with a very poor black water tank. My tank, and my toilet were broken. My rear plywood subfloor was rotten. My plumbing was old. So I got to work.

I purchased my tanks from Inca Plastics in California. They have been molding water tanks for the RV industry for years. You likely have plastic rotomolders in Germany that can sell you tanks that would fit.

Unlike some, I elected to have my new tanks hang below the frame rails and drain from below the frame rails. Most modern campers do it this way. It does spoil the smooth bottom of the Airstream, and it does reduce ground clearance by about 4", (10cm). {Why USA stayed with old fashioned english system is beyond me} Waste water tanks cost about $300 each here.

The late 1960s Airstream trailers are special. They have fancy Corning curved glass windows. I believe the 67 was a better trailer than the 66, mainly in the bathroom. A 50 year old travel trailer will have many needs.

Jump right in to these Forums and learn all about this vintage Trade Wind you are interested in. By the way, your English is very good, my German non-existent.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1404 Waste Tanks See Level Senders (Mobile).JPG
Views:	112
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	338565   Click image for larger version

Name:	1404 Waste Tanks Installed (Small).JPG
Views:	113
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	338566  

Name:	1708 Sale Hook Ups (Small).JPG
Views:	145
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	338567   Click image for larger version

Name:	1708 Sale Front Shade (Small).JPG
Views:	75
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	338568  

WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Welcome to AirForums Severin.

I have a 66 Tradewind that is very similar to a 67. It has one tank that the toilet drains into and that the tub/shower and sinks can also drain into. I decided to cap off the toilet connection and thus the tank is for gray water only. I replaced the toilet with Curve porta potty. This is very similar to the cassette toilets that are common in Europe. This has worked out well for us. You can view photos and details in the thread “Dan’s 66 Tradewind Improvements.

Good luck, Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
You know, I was thinking that you might be wise to search out a "renovated" vintage Airstream that has been updated with the features and requirements you would need in your part of the world. Getting Airstream specific parts would be difficult there I imagine. Maybe there are Airstream enthusiasts clubs and the like that can give you good advice on taking on a project trailer versus buying one already done.

David
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
Old 04-23-2019, 03:48 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Berlin , Berlin
Thank you guys!
This Forum is just brilliant.
Thank your for all your tips and comments already!

At the moment I'm thinking about the following:
Should we maybe let the company just do the subfloor.
Then install the greywater tank ourselves. As well as isolation, belly skin and banana pan. How complicated is that? I would love to do the greywater tank etc.
on our own since this will be time consuming for the company.
I'll go into detail planing as soon as we have a plan for what the company should do. At the moment we have an offer for subfloor, isolation, belly skin and banana pan.

Thank you and all the best to the US!

@dbj216
thank you for your compliment. I try my very best ;-) And I would love to see Arizona some time.
You can order directly form vintage trailer supply and the company we bought the TW from have most of the parts since they supply other companies in Europe as well. And old renovated Airstream are very very rare here in Germany since old Airstreams very rare here anyway and then mostly used as street food „trucks“.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Colorado: These are big jobs done if you got a vintage Airstream with the subfloor replaced the frame repaired where needed. Sometimes these are "gutted" trailers with nothing but the good body, subfloor, frame, and axles. Nothing else.

Rebuilding from there is not terribly complicated, nothing about an Airstream is terribly complicated except the body sheet metal work.

If your trailer is all assembled and you want only to install a grey water tank, the work will be harder.

Installing and plumbing the waste water tanks is pretty straight forward. You have to decide where is the toilet as it needs a black water tank beneath it. You have to select a tank that will fit and meet your needs. You have to plumb the drain valves, drain lines, and vent lines. It all takes a lot of time.

I just finished my belly pan install on my 1975 Overlander 27 foot long trailer. It is a physically hard job, but not difficult. The belly pan covers the tanks.

Here is a photo of the belly pan install on my 66 Trade Wind.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1406 Belly Rear-800x600.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	338960   Click image for larger version

Name:	1406 Waste Tanks Pan Mounted Front (Mobile).jpg
Views:	92
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	338961  

Old 05-06-2019, 03:40 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Berlin , Berlin
Hi guys.

Thank you again for all your lovely replies.
I have't decided what I want to do.
I also wonder if our trailer might have a black water holding tank from the previous owner.
Or what is it in the picture?

I will first see the trailer next week again that is why I'm asking you.
Otherwise I could just check on the trailer... ;-)
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2019, 03:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
That looks like a sewer hose storage tube. Originally, your trailer would have had a black tank below the floor just in front of the rear bumper. The outlet to connect the hose was inside the rear bumper storage compartment. If the previous owner made changes, who know what you now have.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
It appears the photo is of a early 70s trailer judging from the exterior shape and decorative molding. The picture is not of a 66 Trade Wind that has a completely different body shape. The item circled certainly appears to be a sewer hose storage tube. My 75 had one of those also. It is an aftermarket item. I don't believe it was a Airstream option.

David
Old 05-06-2019, 07:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
It appears the photo is of a early 70s trailer judging from the exterior shape and decorative molding. The picture is not of a 66 Trade Wind that has a completely different body shape. The item circled certainly appears to be a sewer hose storage tube. My 75 had one of those also. It is an aftermarket item. I don't believe it was a Airstream option.

David
Hi David, I hate to disagree with you, but the provided photo shows that forward of the wheel well the side panel wraps down and curves inward to meet the belly pan without a floor level rub strip. This detail was only used from 1966 thru 1968. The lack of a water heater on the rear streetside corner eliminates 1966, thus I believe the photo is of a 1967 Tradewind, though it could be a 1968 from the details I can see in this photo.

The side molding you reference was used on 1967 & 1968 (and possibly 1966?) International trim level only.

Sorry, there are so many small year by year differences thru the 1960's that the exact model year can usually be told from exterior (and sometimes interior) photos, though it may take multiple views in some cases. Once we get to the mid 1970's the pace of change slowed and it gets harder to tell the exact year sometimes, though one can usually narrow it down to a 2 or 3 year range (and sometimes the exact year) if one knows the the details to look for. It would be hard for me to write down all the clues that are in my head, but there are a LOT of little details that can give away the year of an Airstream.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 05-07-2019, 08:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
The side international trim with the "back slash" street side, the hubcaps, the funny fridge access door and the quality of the photo threw me I guess. Here is a photo of my 66 Trade Wind brochure showing the flag emblem and a single trim piece to it.

I know the 67s went to a different rear tail light assembly from the "wedding cake" lights like mine had, and maybe only on the international trim. I happen to have a photo of a 67 International flag emblem that shows the double trim design and a "forward slash" on the curb side.

I stand corrected. So I learn more from Joe. I enjoy that.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1310  Flag Emblem Brochure.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	340066   Click image for larger version

Name:	1310 Flag Emblem from 67.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	340067  

Old 05-07-2019, 11:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
The side international trim with the "back slash" street side, the hubcaps, the funny fridge access door and the quality of the photo threw me I guess. Here is a photo of my 66 Trade Wind brochure showing the flag emblem and a single trim piece to it.

I know the 67s went to a different rear tail light assembly from the "wedding cake" lights like mine had, and maybe only on the international trim. I happen to have a photo of a 67 International flag emblem that shows the double trim design and a "forward slash" on the curb side.

I stand corrected. So I learn more from Joe. I enjoy that.

David
Hi David,
Oh the details . . . just for tail lights:
  • Late 1950s thru 1964: All Land Yachts and Internationals got Bargman wedding cake tail lamps often below the rear window, sometimes outboard of the rear window (I will not bore you with the placement details year by year and Ohio vs. California).
  • 1965: All Land Yachts and Internationals except the 17' Caravel got tail lights in fiberglass housings outboard of the rear window. The Caravel retained the wedding cake tail lamps below the rear window.
  • 1966-68 Internationals: Tail lights in cast aluminum housings outboard of the rear window.
  • 1966-67 Land Yachts: Wedding cake tail lights below the rear window, but these were sometimes the same and sometimes different than the design used from the late 1950s thru 1964. (The 1966 Overlander Land Yacht we once owned had the different style.)
  • 1968 Land Yachts: Some got a one-year-only tail light treatment that did not have the aluminum housings, but just got round lamps that were recessed in the aluminum panel below the rear window and that were surrounded by a rectangular trim. Many got the same tail lamps in the aluminum housings outboard of the rear window like the Internationals.
I wish I had easy access to photos showing these differences.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 05-08-2019, 08:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
My 66 Trade Wind base model was wedding cake lights. I've certainly seen the late sixties International tail light housings. I didn't realize 67 was the first year of the double side moldings to the flag emblem. It's fun to learn about all the differences in model years. Maybe some day I'll be able to define the year and model of an Airstream by the features I see in a photo.

PS. Enjoyed your article on the 60 African\ caravan in the Blue Beret this month. I'm not sure I would call that a good time, but certainly an adventure. Politics, no roads, mud, breakdowns, limited fuel, mixed cultures, etc, etc. Wow! Taking a New England leaf peeping caravan in the fall sounds better to me.

David

Tags