Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #141
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Shasta Lake City , California
Hey Hoot... I like the light color. Reminds me of someone else's Airstream If you bought that birch plywood at Home Depot... it should have one side that is a full width of birch ply, and the back side should be three strips of birch.

Come and see me at: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f185...-71804-60.html
Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:26 AM   #142
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Different Birch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trex View Post
Hey Hoot... I like the light color. Reminds me of someone else's Airstream If you bought that birch plywood at Home Depot... it should have one side that is a full width of birch ply, and the back side should be three strips of birch.
Thanks Rex! Plywood I bought was from Auburn Hardwoods. Looked at Home Depot and Lowe's but when I looked all they had was MDF core ply. From I've learned MDF ply is heavier and does not tolerate moisture as well as the regular veneered core. Not sure what grade I need to be looking for next time that would be full width veneer+veneered core. Learning.....
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #143
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Finally

A little progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5178.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	318.8 KB
ID:	149915  
Old 01-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #144
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHoot
A little progress.
Looks like a Sierra Nevada peakin around the corner!
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #145
2 Rivet Member

Folsom , California
So did you ever figure out the stripe? Was it another strip of the birch wood with the grain slightly different or was it a residue from maybe a tape they used in bundling or what?
Love the floor and wood combination! Really is going to look great together!! Post lots of pictures!
Cheers!
JodyoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:46 AM   #146
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Sierra Nevada indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertair27 View Post
Looks like a Sierra Nevada peakin around the corner!
New brew, at least to to me, called Ruthless Rye. It's my favorite From SN right now. I must like the Rye beer as another of my all time favorites is made with rye and is called Hop Rod Rye from Bear Republic Brewing company.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:58 AM   #147
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
The stripe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyoD View Post
So did you ever figure out the stripe? Was it another strip of the birch wood with the grain slightly different or was it a residue from maybe a tape they used in bundling or what?
Love the floor and wood combination! Really is going to look great together!! Post lots of pictures!
Cheers!
Yes, the stripe is just as Rex suggested. The outer veneer was comprised of three strips and was not really noticeably different until a stain was applied. Using just a clear urethane product now. Like the color better and it did not make the differences in the strips of veneer so noticeable. I'm using alder for the solid lumber which I really like. Will most likely do the other bathroom dividing wall in he same birch since I already have it cut and stained but will probably use alder ply on the rest. Thanks for the complements. I'll post more pics when I have something to show, bear in mind that I am as slow as molasses.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:29 AM   #148
Loco Airstreamer

1970 23' Safari
Denton , Texas
So one thing I appreciate about the original fiberglass insulation is the sound dampening effect it has on the outside skins. I pet (the outside of) my trailer all the time, and once I had all the insulation out (inside skins all off), the sound of my petting was, of course, hollow and tinny. What are the sound and filling properties of this Prodex?
shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #149
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Prodex sound deadening

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFlyRoad View Post
So one thing I appreciate about the original fiberglass insulation is the sound dampening effect it has on the outside skins. I pet (the outside of) my trailer all the time, and once I had all the insulation out (inside skins all off), the sound of my petting was, of course, hollow and tinny. What are the sound and filling properties of this Prodex?
Prodex advertises sound deadening properties of 19db. Which is for one layer, not sure what the deadening factor for 2 layers plus air spaces would equal or how it compares to the fiberglass. I wasn't in mine prior to the renovation so can't compare that way either.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:56 AM   #150
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
An update

Well since my last update many months past I have slowly made a bit of progress. The beds are usable though just face framed with no doors, the wiring of the converter is complete, ceiling, reading and lights are operational. Have the wall completed between the curbside bed and the where the kitchen will be built cut to shape dry fitted, sanded stained and may or may not reinstall prior to move (more on that later). Brakes are all wired and will be tested today. Prodigy brake controller installed on my TV but not tested will be doing that today and pointers are more than welcome. Waste plumbing is all hooked up. Interior plumbing is completed in bathroom, though have not tested for functionality and leaks due to kitchen not in yet. New wheels and tires have been purchased and installed. Andersen weight distribution anti-sway hitch should have been here by now and will be installed when arrives (again pointers appreciated).
Now to 'THE MOVE'. We visited Greenville, SC about 2 .5 years ago and have contemplated moving there ever since. So, about 6 weeks ago we made another trip to either get it out of our minds for good or make it a serious goal. We met with real estate agents, spent time exploring in and around and liked it just as much as we had the first visit. So, when we were looking at some the real estate in the downtown area that we got from an agent we ended up tripping across a house with a for sale by owner sign on their front lawn (this was their only form of marketing). Long story made just a bit shorter, we ended up giving them a deposit to purchase their home contingent on the sale of ours. We cut our planned 2 week visit short by a few days so that we could get home to put our home for sale. We did and received four offers the first week and our home is in Escrow now. The purchase agreement from the folks to buy our home states a 45 day or less escrow which means escrow would need to close by Dec 4th. This meant that I'd better get my butt in gear and get the Hoot road worthy. Mind you I have never owned a travel trailer prior to this one. Well not completely true as my first foray was a 1963 Silver Streak that I was part way through deconstructing when I found this one. I never towed this or that one other than a few miles to my house when purchased and did both with no stabilizer bar, trailer brakes or lights. I know , I know. So wish me luck and pour on the advice as the fist trip for the Hoot is going to be 2777 miles if we take the southern route which is probably safest weather wise. Also, have the original wheels that I'd like to sale before we go but could probably deliver if anybody along the route is interested. here's a very few pics.... will try to take more today if the brakes cooperate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0011.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	377.5 KB
ID:	173164   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5495.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	173165  

Name:	IMG_5480.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	173166   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5494.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	173167  

Old 11-24-2012, 07:12 AM   #151
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Lookinn' great Hoot! Have a safe move. Congrats on the switch of coasts. Greenville is a nice town for sure.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:26 AM   #152
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Thanks Top! It will be a real adventure, we don't know a soul in Greenville.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:27 AM   #153
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Congrats SilverHoot.

Gee I was looking forward to meeting you this winter as I too have a Trade Wind I'm redoing.

Send me a P.M. if you want to get together.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3579_2.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	173257  

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:32 AM   #154
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Brakes

They did not cooperate nor did the taillights. I'm in a real bind now. Spent a few hours trying to troubleshoot yesterday and gave up due to needing to pack. Called an RV place here and told them my quandary and have an appointment Tuesday morning. Just more stress to an already stressful move.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:50 AM   #155
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
Towed mine 700mi from Illinois to GA with no brakes and temp lights,but not the best idea. Hope they get yours working.

Nice to have another airstream neighbor (about 150mi. from me) Got to be seriously stressful if I can help somehow let me know.

Kevin
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:45 AM   #156
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Kevin, wish I could take you up on your offer of help. I hope to meet you in the near future though!

Thanks, Mike
Old 11-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #157
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Hay Mike, I'll call you today and we can see whats up with the lighting and brakes.

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #158
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Wow, you're really making progress! It looks very nice! Good luck on the brake thing and move. It should make the trip ok with all the new running gear you've got, once the brakes are ok. After all, we towed ours 1100 miles with virtually NO brakes, bad axles and rear end separation with almost no mishaps. Oh, and did I mention old car tires? You'll do just fine.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #159
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Birmingham , Alabama
You really would be safer with working brakes. Check the truck first at the plug. Brakes are fairly simple on the trailer and also check to see if the breakaway switch is a problem. If all else fails, you can run temporary lights to the trailers bumper and wire the brakes externally just to get you there. Take your time on the trip, look for gas at the larger stations or at truck stops, and go slow/ use a helper to back up. Have a great trip!

Bill AKA cosmos.
gwchitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:57 AM   #160
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
OK I just Got to say

Airstreamers have just got to be some of the nicest folks on the planet! From my previous post I expressed concern about an electrical problem i.e. no brakes, no left turn signal, no left stop light, running lights worked as did taillights. had an appointment scheduled at a local RV place tomorrow at 8:30.
In the meantime forum member GlenRita contacts me to say he was wishing to meet me this winter sometime since we live about 7 miles from each other and both have Tradewinds his is a 69 and was sorry to hear that I was moving away. Sent Glen a PM and told him I was really want to meet him but am really 'under the gun' packing for the move and told him of my electrical woes. Long story short, he replies and leaves his number, we talk and he says he 'll pack some tools and be right over. Came over and spent hours tracking down the problem, a short in the wiring to the left tail light. Naturally this is buried in a wall that I can no longer get to without tearing out the bathroom so will be doing a reroute today. Getting my tail light off was a real bear since it was vulcumed really really well. Got it off finally without too much skin damage to verify that there was no problem with the tail light itself. Yay!
Glen would not take any $$$ for all his time and effort. His was able to use one of the old ceiling lights and some material for framing in a future AC and that was it. What a guy, wish I were going to be around to lend him a hand with some of the really interesting changes he plans for his Tradewind. Airstreamers are just the best! Thanks for your help Glen and for the kind words from you all. Still need to get out and roadtest everything before our journey...wish us luck!

Thanks,

Mike and Vicky

Tags