Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2014, 04:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
1966 Tradewind Ground Clearance

I installed new axles and was a little surprised that the ride height of my trailer didn't increase. In fact it might have decreased a bit.

I have not measured the ground clearance as I am not parked on a hard, level surface this summer. I'm interested in the distance from the pavement to the belly pan between the wheels.

Take a look at the before and after photos below. Judge the ride height by looking at the wheel well trim versus the wheel. Both wheels are 15". The old tires were 15" bias ply, and the new ones are 15" GYM radials.

I assumed the new axles were the same dimension from the hub center point to the top of the mounting bracket. Both old and new axles sit on the frame rail. But I did not measure them.

I did have to deepen the square tube clearance notch in my frame to get the new axles to bear on the frame rails. I understood this is a normal new axle frame modification for mid sixties Airstreams.

I understand that hardened rubber rods in the old axles may not have resulted in much sag in the trailer. Hard rubber rods can result in no suspension effect while towing. We all know it is difficult to determine if your axles are bad. I replaced mine 'cause they were 48 years old.

I haven't seen a ground clearance specification for mid sixties trailers from Airstream. What should a guy expect?

Is my Trade Wind too low with the new axles?

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1309 Exterior Tires Curb.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	367.4 KB
ID:	218179   Click image for larger version

Name:	1406 Axles New Ride Height.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	325.7 KB
ID:	218180  

dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
When I changed the axles on my '74 Argosy 26'. It originally had 2,800# axles. I increased the capacity to 3,200# axles. The additional 800#'s of axle capacity did not change the ride height significantly. Maybe an inch or at the most an inch and a half.
On some installations people are getting 3"+.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I went with the recommended 3000 lb axles for my Trade Wind. The old one were 2600s if I recall correctly. They are the standard 22.5 degree angle, and they are 10" 6 bolt drums.

I did not experience any ground clearance increase after the installation.

David
Old 08-03-2014, 07:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
I went with 33 degree axle and did increase ground clearance, weight capacity does not affect clearance as much as angleClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1407114056.005223.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	934.6 KB
ID:	218191

Sent from my iPhone
David & Diane
Old 08-03-2014, 08:19 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I encountered the same issue on my 65 overlander . I had to add 1 1/2 square tube to top of my axle& weld 5" tall plates to frame , major PITA when you have to do the axle job twice!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1407118726.102805.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	685.5 KB
ID:	218193

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Thanks for the picture DFlores. The 33 degree angle on your new axles certainly increased the ground clearance.

Cochese, were the the modifications you did to your frame intended to maintain or increase ground clearance? Actually, I did not give ground clearance a second thought when I installed my new axles. I just figured the axle maker had designed a mounting bracket that fit a broader range of trailers.

Here is a photo of the modifications I did to the frame to get the new axles to fit. I cut the notch deeper. I clearly lowered the ground clearance from axle hub center to mounting plate by nearly 3/4 of an inch. The new bolt holes were about on the same centerline as the old ones. I would not have axle plate room for the bolt holes moving down.

To re-install my axles to increase ground clearance would be a major project involving new frame plates and mounting holes.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1406 Axle Template.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	218239  
Old 08-04-2014, 07:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
I installed new axles and was a little surprised that the ride height of my trailer didn't increase. In fact it might have decreased a bit.

I have not measured the ground clearance as I am not parked on a hard, level surface this summer. I'm interested in the distance from the pavement to the belly pan between the wheels.

Take a look at the before and after photos below. Judge the ride height by looking at the wheel well trim versus the wheel. Both wheels are 15". The old tires were 15" bias ply, and the new ones are 15" GYM radials.

I assumed the new axles were the same dimension from the hub center point to the top of the mounting bracket. Both old and new axles sit on the frame rail. But I did not measure them.

I did have to deepen the square tube clearance notch in my frame to get the new axles to bear on the frame rails. I understood this is a normal new axle frame modification for mid sixties Airstreams.

I understand that hardened rubber rods in the old axles may not have resulted in much sag in the trailer. Hard rubber rods can result in no suspension effect while towing. We all know it is difficult to determine if your axles are bad. I replaced mine 'cause they were 48 years old.

I haven't seen a ground clearance specification for mid sixties trailers from Airstream. What should a guy expect?

Is my Trade Wind too low with the new axles?

David
Normally, a replacement axle witha 32 degree starting angle, should raise the trailer so that you can see "ball park", 3 inches of the tires above the top of the wheels.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi Andy,

DFlores certainly has all of 3" of tire showing below the wheel well trim. I only have the wheels showing, barely any tire at all.

I measured belly pan to ground and report 14" of ground clearance. This is pretty rough as I am on a gravel parking spot. My new axles are the standard 22 degree angle.

I noticed the Air Forums header photo of the trailers on caravan. The 1960s Caravel or Safari (I think) has less ground clearance than the newer 31 footer in front of it. Maybe Airstream built them lower in the 1960s?

Andy, have you ever seen a 1960s ground clearance specification from Airstream?

David
Old 08-04-2014, 09:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Hi Andy,

DFlores certainly has all of 3" of tire showing below the wheel well trim. I only have the wheels showing, barely any tire at all.

I measured belly pan to ground and report 14" of ground clearance. This is pretty rough as I am on a gravel parking spot. My new axles are the standard 22 degree angle.

I noticed the Air Forums header photo of the trailers on caravan. The 1960s Caravel or Safari (I think) has less ground clearance than the newer 31 footer in front of it. Maybe Airstream built them lower in the 1960s?

Andy, have you ever seen a 1960s ground clearance specification from Airstream?

David
David.

Airstream never published a ground clearance.

Back then, cars were used as tow vehicles. Today, most tow vehicles have a much higher profile.

Original axles were always 22 1/2 degrees.

We changed that many years ago, to 32 degrees, which is as high as you can go, without causing other issues.

Andy
Old 08-04-2014, 09:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Lower is better to me. The trailer will handle better as the trailer cg is lower. New axles give you proper suspension travel.

Reminds me of how MG met the new bumper height requirements in 1973. They raised the heighth of the vehicle! It is no wonder that MG was out of the car business years later.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:47 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I also had to cut the notch almost 3/4" to get the axles to rest on main frame rails . Originally the axles never touched the frame rails, which was wrong ! Apparently 65 was a transition year for axle brackets, that is why I had to add a 5" plate to the frame & 1 1/2 " square tube to top of axle bracket

Old 08-06-2014, 08:11 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Here is a fellow Trade Wind owner who, like me, has ground clearance anxiety. Maybe I need casters on my rear bumper! This tow vehicle appears needing more drop on the draw bar. The trailer looks nose up to me. Maybe that's the reason for the casters.

David

Attached Thumbnails
Old 08-06-2014, 08:58 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Here is a fellow Trade Wind owner who, like me, has ground clearance anxiety. Maybe I need casters on my rear bumper! This tow vehicle appears needing more drop on the draw bar. The trailer looks nose up to me. Maybe that's the reason for the casters.

David

Attached Thumbnails
Casters on the rear is an absolute NO NO.

In time, the 2 rear quarter panels will be damaged.

Then your insurance company can deny coverage because the damage was not sudden, accidental and direct.

Axles should always be ordered with a greater starting angle than original. If not, then the supplier is not doing their job for the customer.

Today's tow vehicles, for the vast majority of the time, are higher profile than years ago. Raising the trailer helps not only the hookup, but greater ground clearance as well.

Increasing the load rating, also helps gaining ground clearance, to some degree.

Andy
Old 08-06-2014, 01:23 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Sometimes a customer has to opt for less starting angle because of carport restrictions!! Like in my case...

Tags