Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2008, 08:48 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
wayland , Michigan
1961 TradeWind

late this summer we happened across a 1961 trade wind it looked a little rough but the floor was solid and the shell was intact with only 2 very small blemishes(although very oxidized)the interior has no leak stains the stove and furnace are missing also the shower pan is also gone. so we have some work to do.
after the first time around the trailer using nuvite and a rotary buffer it looks so much better(on the outside at least)another trip around will be necessary and then the final polish.the awning track has caused additional corrosion to the point of serious pitting any ideas here?it kinda ran down the side of the trailer looks kinda bad.
we have been deciding how we want to to do the interior it will take some time to figure out what look we are looking for.
we have for the most part gutted the interior leaving the wall and cabinets looking at possibly redoing much of that as well.
I'll post pics once i get new batteries for the camera they are taken but i can't get them out lol
more to come I'll need many photo's and help to get this done but the more we get into this the more excited we get
oh i have a question already we have (i think there called)Jalousie Windows does anyone know how to get the glass out of these things?
thanks in advance for any help
Tad Pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Hi and Welcome to the forums. You have come to the right place for answers. I dont know anything about the Jalouise windows but believe me, there isnt much that hasnt been covered on the forums. You can use the search function or click on the forums button at the top and look under windows, Im sure your question or one similar has been asked before. Good luck on your restore. I cant wait to see it.
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:43 AM   #3
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Welcome to the forums and early TradeWind ownership. Congratulations on your find and it sounds like your having lots of fun exploring the possibilities. Sorry I can't help you with the jalousie windows as mine doesn't have any. Can't wait to see pictures of your beauty.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:28 AM   #4
Mouse Nest Hunter

1961 28' Ambassador
Sherburne , New York
1961 Airstreams are the best ever made. I'm in the process of re-doing my interior, then I'll tackle the exterior. I was going to leave the original, pewter patina and not polish, but after attending my first rally I decided that I WILL be polishing in the future. Pewter grey might look nice in my driveway, but up against a bunch of shiney vintage trailers, it looks like an ugly sister.

Check out my blog to see my '61 Ambassador.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:12 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Colorado Springs , CO
1961's are the best ever made, then they improved slightly in 1962.
But, no bias here.
Welcome to the Forums and Tradewind group!
Old 11-18-2008, 08:24 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
wayland , Michigan
Pics!

Ok i have some pics and they are rough so please be patient.
the first two are of the the starting of the polishing we wanted to get the polishing out of the way before winter set in.

the interior is kinda rough we have started taking thing apart

i think i have reached the max size for a single post?
Old 11-18-2008, 08:35 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
wayland , Michigan
more pics

More epics of the interior

we haven't decided yet tile or hardwood floors

Wow lotsa work to do there!

oh ya some more here!

and here as well!!

Good news the polishing is coming out pretty good!

Anybody notice the boat anchor holding the piece of plywood down on the rear vent hatch?More work to do there as well!I have more pics but you guys get the idea we will probably be working on this girl for some time to come but it is so neat!
Does anyone know if this is a rare trailer or is it just special in our minds?
Old 11-19-2008, 03:48 AM   #8
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
They are all rare and special in our own minds....
Okay a few things: The jalousie windows could not be easier. Crank the window open and take out the screen. At the bottom is a small disc of rubber that is between the glass and the frame that holds the glass. Take a thin blade and slide that out. That is toast now and needs to be replaced. The glass will simply slide up and out. All the parts for these windows are easily available from Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!. They have the cranks, the seals, the weather stripping. Be sure to use new rubber in the glass. It is what keeps the glass in place and also not rattling.

You also have a fairly good leak through the top of your door. There is clear evidence of that in the photos. You need new door seals and the eyebrow above the door is not doing it's job. I would drill the rivets out and reinstall it with butyl tape behind it and olympic rivets. That will shed almost all of the water you now have coming in.

Put a fantastic fan in the hole you have. Very easy to install and will be a great improvement to the air circulation.

I also suspect that if you were to remove the black tank, you might be very surprised by the floor under there.

Nice trailer, sorry it is not a 1962, but nice none the less.

One final word of opinion. Polish it after you fix it.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Check out the hardware holding down the awning track, If they are screws then that is the cause of the streaking. Replace them with rivets or at least stainless steel screws.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:51 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
wayland , Michigan
Battery box

I have a question? In the 1st pic you see the front on the trailer and the battery box is still there and origianal....Question is does anyone know where to get the batteries that fit in in this box?? man that thing is narrow. what was they thinking??
Old 11-24-2008, 08:33 AM   #11
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2333 View Post
1961's are the best ever made, then they improved slightly in 1962.
But, no bias here.
Welcome to the Forums and Tradewind group!
Sorry, I have to disagree with all of you on this, 1960 was the PRIMO year for Tradewinds. As for the pitting I would be interested in what folks have to say.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:10 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Pole View Post
I have a question? In the 1st pic you see the front on the trailer and the battery box is still there and origianal....Question is does anyone know where to get the batteries that fit in in this box?? man that thing is narrow. what was they thinking??
I believe those were originally tractor batteries. You may be able to find one at Tractor Supply or a similar retailer. See this link for some ideas. Welcome to the Forum by the way.

Search Results
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:44 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Now lets be real here! I'm sure the 60, 61 and yes the 62 are all good , however the "63" ROCKS. Thats just one man's opinion
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:21 PM   #14
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
I believe those were originally tractor batteries. You may be able to find one at Tractor Supply or a similar retailer. See this link for some ideas. Welcome to the Forum by the way.

Search Results
The only part I have left from the box is the top rail rivited to the skin! I would love to find another to put back on.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
I can order them at my local auto parts store.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Early Tradewinds are awesome!

Quote:
Welcome to the Forums and congratulations on finding one of the BEST models of Airstreams out there! I agree with Rick and Sandi, however. The 1960 Tradewind rules!

I have the same battery box. It takes a 3EE battery. I've not found any AGM or deep cycle batteries that fit the box dimensions. Since 110 and 12V are separate in these trailers, I went with an Interstate 3EE battery to power the fresh water tank compressor and 12V lights. Gotta have shore power or a generator for the rest.

Check this old thread here for a little more info. This thread might help too.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:43 PM   #17
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty3TW4US View Post
Now lets be real here! I'm sure the 60, 61 and yes the 62 are all good , however the "63" ROCKS. Thats just one man's opinion
Now come on. Everyone knows the original is always the best. The sequels just don't quite measure up. Look at Jurassic Park vs. Lost World, The Mummy vs. The Mummy Returns, Wayne's World vs. Wayne's World II, Back to the Future vs. the other two. I could go on but you all get the idea.

I love all of the early TradeWind's and can't fault anyone for owning one. In fact, we are all bretheren and sisteren TradeWind owners. Glad you are among the blessed.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
Now come on. Everyone knows the original is always the best. The sequels just don't quite measure up. Look at Jurassic Park vs. Lost World, The Mummy vs. The Mummy Returns, Wayne's World vs. Wayne's World II, Back to the Future vs. the other two. I could go on but you all get the idea.

Brad
FF
Thems fighting words. My genuine imitation walnut tambour trumps plywood any day. Not to mention harvest gold formica perfectly complimented by avocado green deep shag carpet. Your 60 something may be Wayne's World alright but my 71 is definite original Austin Powers, baby.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:17 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
wayland , Michigan
I never considered that it was a tractor battery--- I am a auto mechanic but i am not familiar with that group size (there go Tractor battery)Thanks guys
Old 11-27-2008, 10:42 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
Quote:
Nice '61 Airstream!! I also went the Interstate Battery. It fit the battery box just fine. I also added a converter to keep the battery charged. Also, be careful removing the Jalousie Windows, I think the clips that hold the glass are discontinued.
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags