Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

santa fe , New Mexico
1960 TW - how deep to go on renovation?

we just picked up a 1960 TW. Planning to do a full remodel inside (bunks for 3 kids, etc). My question is how to assess how "deep" we need to go on the structural stuff. The subfloor is in pretty good shape except for one spot where the PO welded some extra supports near the door. Its hard for me to see the frame anywhere else except near the axles. There its rusted, but seems structurally in tact. I have a fear of spending time and $ retrofitting and then for the frame to collapse or something else catastrophic. I'm toying with removing the belly pan or a major section of the subfloor so I can get a good look at the frame condition, but for obvious reasons I don't want to do that unnecessarily. I will try and get a camera into the few spots where I can get it and repost. Any tips in the meantime would be much appreciated. Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	air3.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	180136   Click image for larger version

Name:	air2.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	180137  

teleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #2
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
First thing to do is make it roadworthy... check/repair your lights, axles, brakes, and if you're concerned, your frame. One trick to doing that is borrowing/renting or buying a borescope; this will let you make small holes (easily covered w/ a small patch & pop rivets) and inspect areas you think may have water damage.

You can also drop the belly pan, but that's a messy job.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

santa fe , New Mexico
thanks. not really suspecting any water damage - its a desert TW and it seems pretty dry. my concern is the frame. no reason other than its rusted everywhere i can see it. structurally, it looks okay but i just don't know...
teleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:19 PM   #4
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Surface rust doesn't matter. Outside of frame much more likely to have bad rust than area under trailer. Safe bet - if the floor is OK, so is the frame for a desert trailer.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:25 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Heyfield , Victoria
Hi teleguy, any update on your trailer Reno? We also have a 1960 Tradewind that we just imported to Australia, and also have three kids. Would love to hear how it's coming along.
Amy
amysemmens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags