Old 05-22-2007, 01:18 PM   #113
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Steve,

I'm comparing this post with the #1 post in this thread. I'm feeling bad for your expectations right now.

I don't know how this trailer was represented but is it possible to go back to the seller to help resolve these safety issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
I called the RV shop today to make sure my trailer would be ready to pick up tomorrow. I had planned on camping Friday and Saturday since I have to work on Sunday. The shop let me know a few things.

As I have said before, the streetside wheel wasn't turning on its own. When he took the baby moon off there were only three lug nuts remaining of the six. The remainding three were broken off when they were removed. Once the wheel was off, he could see that the brake shoes were just haning around on the innards of the wheel. All the springs were missing. For the last three days he has called to find replacement parts for these springs, and has been unsuccessful. He also hasn;t had luck finding replacement brakes for this axel. The shop suggested getting a new Dexter Axel complete with brakes to solve the issue. He did order a new hub so I could mount a wheel back on the trailer, but I won't have brakes. Anyone have a suggestion for this?

As for the other work that was to be done, the 30 Amp pigtail was wired, and the vent fan installed. The shop is also sealing around the windows. They didn't wire a brake line or break away switch since there is only one wheel with a brake on it. The coupler is unable to be rebuilt so I am going to have the old coupler cut off, and a new coupler welded on.

I really thought that I had found a great trailer that was ready to go. I will have several thousand more into this just to have it safely road ready.

Live and Learn.

Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:28 PM   #114
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Tim,

The sale of the item was AS/IS, and even though the seller is appologizing, he isn't liable for anything since it is sold. I am doing my best to make the most of this situation, and fix all the safety concerns I have.

The new axle looks like it will be $350-$400 for a new dexter axle with full brakes. That sounds like a good deal to me considering it would be similar in cost to just add brakes to a current trailer when you consider the cost of labor to install brakes.

Steve

Old 05-22-2007, 03:36 PM   #115
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Tim,

The sale of the item was AS/IS, and even though the seller is appologizing, he isn't liable for anything since it is sold. I am doing my best to make the most of this situation, and fix all the safety concerns I have.

The new axle looks like it will be $350-$400 for a new dexter axle with full brakes. That sounds like a good deal to me considering it would be similar in cost to just add brakes to a current trailer when you consider the cost of labor to install brakes.

Steve
Steve,

Is that installed? I would seriously consider new springs also, unless you are converting to a torsion axle.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:07 PM   #116
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Time to retire ...

Steve:

That original axle is 51 years old. It has worked long and hard and now deserves a retirement. A brand new leaf sprung axle should last another 50 years and will be a superb investment in trailer enjoyment, safety and longevity. Buy a new axle with brand new brakes and don't look back. If you want to raise the trailer a bit for back road exploring, buy a straight (as opposed to drop center) axle. See you down the road!
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:26 PM   #117
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
The price is not installed, but the shop told me he would chage only an hour and a half to install the new axle. Nice guy doing all the work at a good rate (If anyone is in Missouri I highly recommend him).

The price is also not including new springs. My springs look to be in very good condition.

Steve
Old 05-23-2007, 10:13 AM   #118
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Steve, I feel your pain. However, look on the bright side - ANY old trailer would probably require a new axle (heck, even some 80's trailers need them) and coupler. You will have the best looking, SAFE trailer out there. Really, it will be a new trailer when completely done.
Don't let one w/e spoil it - It'll be worth it in the end!
Marc
Old 05-24-2007, 07:09 PM   #119
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
New Sign

I received my sign from Devoman today. Looks rather nice I think.

Spoke with the RV shop today. The hub that they ordered for me before knowing I wanted a new axle showed up and the company wanted $157.00 for it. This was a far cry from the $30.00 I was told it was going to cost. The RV shop told UPS he wouldn't sign for it, and sent it back. Dexter called back and stated that a new complete axle would be $350.00 so I feel alright about doing the change out. A new Attwood 2" A frame coupler also went on today.

The axle arrives on June 1st, and Morraine View is the 8th. I hope he doesn't have any mix ups in getting that axle installed so I can make the rally in time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oesign.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	37856  
Old 05-25-2007, 04:26 AM   #120
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
I received my sign from Devoman today. Looks rather nice I think.
I agree...very nice job! What is it made out of? Just curious if it is an indoor-only sign or if it is made out of something that can withstand the environmental elements outdoors!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:09 AM   #121
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
I agree...very nice job! What is it made out of? Just curious if it is an indoor-only sign or if it is made out of something that can withstand the environmental elements outdoors!
It is made from white corugated plastic so it will hold up to the elements....probably more so than my trailer at least.

Steve
Old 05-30-2007, 01:24 AM   #122
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
If a leaf blower gets anywhere near that trailer get the blower's motor exhaust far away from the blowers fan intake; for some models the vacuum attachment tube will give three or so feet distance, just make sure intake is low and exhaust high since heat rises...

An A/C unit w/ remote compressor that has a heat-pump cycle sure sounds nice; I know I've been thinking on taking that leap... but one thing you will lose without the rooftop unit is collecting the hottest air that rises to the ceiling; any low mount A/C will cycle frigid air layering it just above floor w/o mixing with the hot stuff floating above. The front window shelf idea has merits too for quick cool solution.

I would like to forward the idea of foil-bubblewrap insulation cut to match the sun-side windows and let them deflect some heat before you have to deal with it, you can leave the shady side ones vented but just keep the IR heat flood of sunshine-through-glass automobile oven syndrome from boosting temps... If it lowers the temps 10 or 15 degrees its a cheap solution while you work out the other bugs...

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:12 AM   #123
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Vintage Awning

Some pics from my first trip with out vintage awning up. Worked very well, and had no problems with it.

After camping in the trailer four nights last weekend I have decided that we do not need a full size 60x80 queen bed in the rear. The bed takes up too much space that can be used for other things. I was able to fit north south in the trailer between the bathroom wall and the rear endcap of the trailer. I would prefer to have a sofa bed that fits the area. It will funcion nice as a couch and bed. A small cabinet on the other side will help provide storage, and a nice TV desk.

Anyone know a good place to get plans for a gaucho? I like the L-Shaped sofa in the 75th anniversary model, and it would work. Also would rather use heavy duty slides rather than the old wood sliders.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OE4.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	39149   Click image for larger version

Name:	OE2.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	39150  

Old 06-14-2007, 07:26 AM   #124
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Congradulations

Steve
Glad to see you finally got there.
Enjoy
Beginner
Old 06-14-2007, 10:22 AM   #125
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Looks Sharp!

Congrats on your first successful camping trip in the Orient Express. May there be many many more.

Aluminocentricity
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:01 AM   #126
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Steve,

Your Camping!!!!! Yea!!!!!! Too cool. I am so happy to see you out and camping. The time from you leaveing the driveway till now has been painful, but has turned out good. The awning looks great.

As for plans for a goucho, any plan will work. Replacing the wood slides with metal is not a big issue. I will see if I can dig up my old plans. Also vintage airstream has a section on gouchos.

AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote