Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravanner > 1952-1960 Caravanner
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2007, 08:09 AM   #121
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
I agree...very nice job! What is it made out of? Just curious if it is an indoor-only sign or if it is made out of something that can withstand the environmental elements outdoors!
It is made from white corugated plastic so it will hold up to the elements....probably more so than my trailer at least.

Steve
Old 05-30-2007, 12:24 AM   #122
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
If a leaf blower gets anywhere near that trailer get the blower's motor exhaust far away from the blowers fan intake; for some models the vacuum attachment tube will give three or so feet distance, just make sure intake is low and exhaust high since heat rises...

An A/C unit w/ remote compressor that has a heat-pump cycle sure sounds nice; I know I've been thinking on taking that leap... but one thing you will lose without the rooftop unit is collecting the hottest air that rises to the ceiling; any low mount A/C will cycle frigid air layering it just above floor w/o mixing with the hot stuff floating above. The front window shelf idea has merits too for quick cool solution.

I would like to forward the idea of foil-bubblewrap insulation cut to match the sun-side windows and let them deflect some heat before you have to deal with it, you can leave the shady side ones vented but just keep the IR heat flood of sunshine-through-glass automobile oven syndrome from boosting temps... If it lowers the temps 10 or 15 degrees its a cheap solution while you work out the other bugs...
Old 06-13-2007, 11:12 PM   #123
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Vintage Awning

Some pics from my first trip with out vintage awning up. Worked very well, and had no problems with it.

After camping in the trailer four nights last weekend I have decided that we do not need a full size 60x80 queen bed in the rear. The bed takes up too much space that can be used for other things. I was able to fit north south in the trailer between the bathroom wall and the rear endcap of the trailer. I would prefer to have a sofa bed that fits the area. It will funcion nice as a couch and bed. A small cabinet on the other side will help provide storage, and a nice TV desk.

Anyone know a good place to get plans for a gaucho? I like the L-Shaped sofa in the 75th anniversary model, and it would work. Also would rather use heavy duty slides rather than the old wood sliders.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OE4.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	39149   Click image for larger version

Name:	OE2.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	39150  

Old 06-14-2007, 06:26 AM   #124
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Congradulations

Steve
Glad to see you finally got there.
Enjoy
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:22 AM   #125
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Looks Sharp!

Congrats on your first successful camping trip in the Orient Express. May there be many many more.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:01 AM   #126
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Steve,

Your Camping!!!!! Yea!!!!!! Too cool. I am so happy to see you out and camping. The time from you leaveing the driveway till now has been painful, but has turned out good. The awning looks great.

As for plans for a goucho, any plan will work. Replacing the wood slides with metal is not a big issue. I will see if I can dig up my old plans. Also vintage airstream has a section on gouchos.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:21 AM   #127
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Steve:

That's one beautiful Caravanner ... and the bright awning sets it off cheerfully. Very nice!!
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:03 AM   #128
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
Some pics from my first trip with out vintage awning up. Worked very well, and had no problems with it.
Wow...what a stunning combination of shiny aluminum and the new red awning! You must be thrilled to finally be able to take her out and relaxing on a camping trip after all the resto work.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:07 AM   #129
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Looks pretty patriotic too! Glad to see you out & about ~

We have some pics of our front gaucho removed from our '64 GT...you may find these helpful, it was really quite simple in the way it was constructed.

Gaucho

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:19 AM   #130
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Please stop the heat

Summer in the midwest. Hot, Humis, a killer in some situations.

Not willing to pay the price for an underbunk or split AC unit system install, I am again looking at a low profile unit on my rear vent. Those of you have have been in my coach know there is NO room in the middle vent for an AC unt. Will adding this AC unit put too much weight over the rear of the coach since we are talking behind the axel? I think there were around 75-80 lbs. The new double goucho I create wont weigh that much as it will be cedar and 1/8 inch plywood like the rest of my trailer. It will likely weigh less than my queen boxspring and mattress. Sorry to the VAC, and vintage lovers who shreik at the though, but then again this coach wasn't kept original to begin with, and it isn't any good to me if I am not using it.

Anyone have advice on the weight situation? We have towed it everywhere without a W.D. Hitch or sway, and have had no sway or problems whether it's 50 MPH winds or passing tractor trailers.

Steve
Old 06-23-2007, 05:32 PM   #131
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Who can build one of these?

Inspiration no noubt came from the 75th Anniversay model Bambi. I want to use the heavy drawer slides like the 75th, but the ones at Home Depot are only rated at 100 lbs for the pair. I am unsure if the 75th has a beefier setup or not.

This setup will get me pretty much idealistic living space in my trailer.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sofabed.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	39771  
Old 06-23-2007, 08:54 PM   #132
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Steve,

If you're looking for bed sliders, I think these are what you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
Inspiration no noubt came from the 75th Anniversay model Bambi. I want to use the heavy drawer slides like the 75th, but the ones at Home Depot are only rated at 100 lbs for the pair. I am unsure if the 75th has a beefier setup or not.

This setup will get me pretty much idealistic living space in my trailer.

Steve
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:04 PM   #133
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Tim,

I do not want to use the wood bed slides as I really like the heavy duty drawer slides in the 75th Edition.

Steve
Old 06-23-2007, 09:13 PM   #134
_

. , .
hi steve

a/s has used these heavy duty roller/ball bearing slides for years...

primarily for rolling drawer slides on the outside of the classic AND big mohos...

tech support should be able to give you the supplier.

or someone with a moho could check the hardware.

other moho makers use 'em too...

here is an example of a vendor. there are several.

Telescopic Slides

and keep in mind the slides are only as strong as the attachment bracing...

now who's gonna build this thing?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:35 PM   #135
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Joe,

Luckily the sildes will only move out 14 inches. This should be easier to hold the weight of Amy and I easier than if the slides were moving out 24 inches.

As for the constructor, I have a contractor (Finish Carpenter) coming out next Friday to look at the job. I want to have the strength that I need, but want to keep weight down. My front couch is framed in 1x2 cedar and topped with 1/2 inch plywood. The actual slide that will hold the weight is pretty beefy on the 75th edition. I am anticipating a similar version of it, but no need to be perfect. I was also looking at JC Ferguson's trailer in which he used the slides. He actually added some extra "Feet" that support the end of the rail at full slide out.

Who knows what's in the cards, but I want it done before Branson in October.

Steve
Old 06-30-2007, 10:59 AM   #136
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I met with some contractors this morning about the sofabed. The idea I liked the most was a type of trundle bed. The extended platform will not pull out on a slide and sit slightly below like the 75th Edition, but will actually pull out from underneath and sit flush with the sofa platform. Two legs will also be contained in the hideaway, and will pop out when pulled up.

The contractors and I also discussed shortening the showerpan to allows for a closet and space for the refer.

Rough sketches coming soon.

Steve