Old 05-13-2007, 09:50 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
OH, WOW! Doesn't it look great in your rear view mirror. I'm so tickled for y'all. And what a great opportunity to tour the Winick shop. Glad you're home safe. Wish I could help with the wiring issue, but it sounds like something that would be easy to fix if the problem could be identified. However, therein lies the problem.

Congratulations on your full acquisition of the Orient Express.

Aluminocentricity
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:52 PM   #72
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Pics from Home

In one of the pics you can see a space about a foot long from the rear of the trailer to the bed. I plan on building a set of cabinets (Think hampers) out of 1/8" plywood to take that space. It will be a hideaway/hamper and will only contain things when I am set up for camping. Also in the plans for the sleeping area is adding a bedframe that will be mounted into small blocks of wood where its feet will be placed. A curtain will also be added for privacy.

For the kitchen we will be adding a shelf above the counter for decoration and functional storage.

The low cabinet next to the twin endcap couch will have a cushion fabricated for it, and a teble with pedestal leg will be fabricated for dining in (Incase it storms or is too cold).

I plan to reuse the old swivel cone lights from my Safari for additional lighting in my rear bed area. They will be mounted near the top of the wall above the LCD TV.

Comments?

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	home.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	37278   Click image for larger version

Name:	home2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	37279  

Name:	light.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	37280   Click image for larger version

Name:	linen.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	37281  

Name:	oldnew.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	37282   Click image for larger version

Name:	sink.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	37283  

Name:	space.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	37284  

Old 05-13-2007, 09:56 PM   #73
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Parts...anyone need something?

These pics are some of the parts I took from the PO. Didn't know what everyone needed, so I took what looked to be in good condition and what was original.

Here are some original doors with a squeeze latch. Not bad shape at all.

The sinks were porcelined enamel that are dirty, but just need a cleaning. They were held together by the two trim pieces in the picture.

This is part of the original front endcap. I also have the door.

Also seen here is the OEM faucet, and the slide track from the original overhead cabinet.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	oem1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	37290   Click image for larger version

Name:	oem2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	37291  

Name:	oem3.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	37292   Click image for larger version

Name:	oem4.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	37293  

Name:	oem5.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	37294  
Old 05-13-2007, 10:06 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Thumbs up Cheers to the Rivet Master

Keep the pics coming! She looks great.

How stupid of me, I got so enthralled looking at the OE that I forgot to congratulate you for Rivet Master status! What a perfect post for the occasion. You have truly been down the rivet road and look what you found at the end of the rivet rainbow.

Aluminocentricity
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:06 AM   #75
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Lights

Steve
Tail light circutry has changed over the years.
To determine what you have do this.
Have your wife (or other trusted friend) get in the Tow Vehicle (TV), start it and place their foot on the brake pedal.
1. Make careful note of which lights in each tail light assembly come on (position in the tail light assembly-top or bottom or whole assembly), have them continue to depress the brake pedal thus leaving the brake lights on (illuminated).
2. Have them turn on one of the turn signals (it dosent matter which one).
Is the brake light (the light that came on in paragraph #1) blinking or is the tail light assembly blinking (some OTHER bulb) somewhere else (usually the top of the assembly)?
Get back to me.
Beginner
Old 05-14-2007, 07:10 AM   #76
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Sweet restoration!

Nice job on the restoration! You must be so pleased to finally get her home. I bet heads were swiveling to look at your trailer on the drive home!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:34 AM   #77
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Light Layout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner
Steve
Tail light circutry has changed over the years.
To determine what you have do this.
Have your wife (or other trusted friend) get in the Tow Vehicle (TV), start it and place their foot on the brake pedal.
1. Make careful note of which lights in each tail light assembly come on (position in the tail light assembly-top or bottom or whole assembly), have them continue to depress the brake pedal thus leaving the brake lights on (illuminated).
2. Have them turn on one of the turn signals (it dosent matter which one).
Is the brake light (the light that came on in paragraph #1) blinking or is the tail light assembly blinking (some OTHER bulb) somewhere else (usually the top of the assembly)?
Get back to me.
Beginner
Jim,

Just went out for the little experiment. I have a three section tail light. Top, middle, and bottom.

1) When the brakes are pressed, the top light in the assembly is lit.

2) When the left/right turn signal or hazards are on, the middle light is blinking.

3) When I turn my headlights on, the top lights are lit all the time. So the vehicle running lamps are the same bulb as the brakes.

Please call me if you can since this is all a mystery to me.

Also going to look into the brake issue today and hope to NOT have to drop belly pan. Also remember that this trailer was wired completely new by David during the beginning of the refurbishing, so the original wires aren't there.

Steve
Old 05-14-2007, 01:45 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Lights

Steve
Thats what I thought.
Here is what you have on the Tow Vehicle(TV).
1. Top Section: Brake and Tail lights. This one bulb has two filaments in it.
A dim filament for for the tail light function and a bright filament for the brake light function.
2. Center Section: Turn Signal Light Only.

Explaination:
1. The top section dim light is in common with all the other lights that come on when you turn on the parking lights or headlights on the TV.

2. The top section Bright light only illuminates when you step on the brake pedal.

3. The center section only illuminates when you turn on the turn signals or hazards. This function (turn and hazard) is seperate and has no effect on any other lights on the vehicle(except those that come on when you hit the turn signals or hazards/this includes the front parking lights [also dual element bulbs] and may include some of the side lights)

Your trailer, on the other hand is wired differently. I know, just what you wanted to hear.

You have two light fixtures on the back(wedding cake Bargmans) of your trailer. The one bulb in each of these two fixtures has two elements in it. You guessed it, a dim one and a bright one.

This older technology works like this as did the automobiles of the day.

Dim Elements: Tail Light, is in common with the dim element in the tail light on the right and left side of the trailer (or will be when your are finished) and all the clearance lights(running lights) on the trailer.

Bright Elements: You should have a single wire that illuminates the bright element on the right side of the trailer and another wire that illuminates the
the bright element on the left side of the trailer.

This is the left and right brake lights.

When this trailer was made when you stepped on the brake pedal both bright lights on the rear of the trailer would illuminate.

If you turned on the right turn signal, the right bright element would blink.

When you turned on the left turn signal the left bright element would blink.

Not to worry.

A box is made that translates or electrically adapts the new system in your TV to the old system in the trailer.

Don't get upset, this is one of the things you run into.

Someone here on the forums has done this before and will advise you on whether to wire the conversion box into the TV system or your trailer.

If you can get someone there local to give you a hand with this it will go smoother.

If not, do you have a multimeter?
Beginner
Old 05-14-2007, 03:33 PM   #79
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Jim,

Does al of this still count after we last spoke? My tail lights are not wedding cake bargmans (They are actually school bus lights).

I received an email from Mr. Winick. He suggested taking the outlet side of the green running light wire (There are two of them) and hooking them each to a 12v power supply. He figures that they both cannot be bad. THis would help in figuring out where the problem lies.

Steve
Old 05-14-2007, 04:10 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Standard Trailer Light Converter Kits

Hi Steve:

You need a trailer light convereter kit that converts the three separate light filaments on 3 separate circuits on your tow vehicle to match the two light filaments in 2 circuits on your Airstream. Here are two such products from J.C. Whitney:

Acar STANDARD TRAILER LIGHT CONVERTER KITS : JC Whitney: Truck Accessories & Parts

One of these 2 products might solve your problem, you just gotta figure out which one it is. You also have to determine whether your 2006 Chevy Trailblazer is "computer controlled" and thus not ameniable to this fix, so check your owner's manual before ordering. Happy wiring!
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:12 PM   #81
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Progress.....

I took the outgoing lines that go to the running lights apart and tested them each on a trickle charger. One of the leads made the front marker lights up. The other lead produced nothing. I also hooked a 12v bulb up to the charger and touched each line. The line to the rear lights that appears to have the short burned much brighter than the bulb connected to the front markers.

At this point I could always hook up the front markers to have something, but need to solve the other part of the riddle to avoid troubles with the law.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:18 PM   #82
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
Steve,
The sales picture did not do the trailer justice. What a beauty. Wish I could have driven along behind you on the trip home to film all the head turning yukionna referred to. Hope you and the Mrs. are agreeable to tours at the Branson rally in October.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:18 PM   #83
_

. , .
hi steve..

very sharp looking trailer!

hope you have a great camping season...

it's gonna be hard to hide with that unit.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:18 PM   #84
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Nohillgrish, we have given tours daily since bringing it home and would not mind (Kinda look forward to it).

Dr. Air, thanks for the words...I need a script for this headache.

On to larger issues...like Air Conditioning. It was over 100 degrees inside my trailer today. The went far doesn't seem to vent as much as it shoots air from the vent into the trailer. I know AC on my rig would not be doing any justice, but I may have no choice seeing how much under bunk units run.

I did purchase a portable AC unit today and tested it in the trailer. Due to poor ventilation of the hot air from the unit, it was near impossible to get any cooling effect from the unit unless you stood directly in front of it.

I will also run into problems with having AC in the central venthole due to the bathroom wall being built so far into the mid section of the trailer. The rear 14x14 is available, but pictures sent to me by Doug Reid show that the bracing wasn't the greatest on that rear vent.

All in all...looks like a hot summer unless I find an AC genie.

Steve

UPDATED: Low Profile AC unit with Interior ceiling panel for $540.00 plus $85.00 shipping!