Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2009, 08:40 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
Steve, I am very interestedin hearing and seeing more on your heater. Did you research to get the best price? Where did you buy from? How was the install? I plan to use the hole from the old panel ray heater, but I see that you had to use a patch.

More pics and info would be great.

We hope to tackle the front belly pan and the front panel tomorrow.

Steve
There are two different models of the heater and I bought the smaller, lower BTU version based on advice from muddy_hollow, Doug Reid, who has one in his Caravanner. Best price was Dickinson Newport Propane Boat Heater / Fireplace but I bought it from Defender.com, who I've ordered from before and they price matched. I also got the flue guard (flue gets hot) and a 10" section of flue to add to the 30" section that comes with it.

I patched because I wanted a straight run for the flue, but the pipe is flexible, so it's not necessary. Doug used the original exit and mounted the Dickinson Charley Noble right on top of his old stack from his Panel Ray.

Install, other than the flue, is simple. Surface mount, hook up the propane, and it also has a 12 volt fan to circulate the warm air (haven't hooked it up yet, works ok without it.) You open the front glass door on it, turn on the gas, and light it manually, so it's very simple. Starts with a blue flame and changes to yellow as it warms up, so it's a really nice fireplace effect.

The other thing I really like is that the flue is double walled, so that the outer section is intake air and the inner pipe is exhaust. That way, it's very resistant to backdrafting if the wind is howling outside and it's pretty safe as it isn't using any air inside the trailer for combustion. I've had the diesel version on our boat/home for years and it's our primary heat source in the winter. It's really well made by a company just a few miles north of the Canadian border from us.

I'll be over at the trailer tomorrow, so let me know if there's something specific you'd like in the way of pics and I'll get them taken.

cheers,
steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:41 PM   #122
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
I really like this stuff

Prodex Insulation.

I'm mostly doing what has already been done by Malconium, Uwe, Carlos and others. Rich the Viking got me thinking about 2 layers and that's the way I'm going to go. Using 1/2" deep strips of foam insulation between the shell and the first layer of Prodex, glued on with foamboard adhesive. The next layer of Prodex will sit on another 1/2" deep strip of foam insulation and that will just about fill the 1 1/2" cavity inside the ribs. The wiring will go between the two layers of insulation.

Like many have done, my Prodex came from Insulation4less.com : Reflective Insulation and I ordered the tape for the seams and edges from them as well. Hopefully, one roll of insulation gets it done.

It's so easy to work with this stuff. Cuts with scissors, simple to fit. I had one day with the sun out (must have been weeks ago ) and there was an amazing difference between the bare shell and the insulated sections--hot and cool. It's been wet and fairly cold the last few days and I can see the heater warming the trailer up quicker as I get more of it insulated.

cheers,
steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA280270.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	90015   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA280272.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	90016  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PA280271.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	304.0 KB
ID:	90017   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA280273.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	291.3 KB
ID:	90018  

Old 10-30-2009, 08:41 PM   #123
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Steve, you are really doing an awesome job on that trailer. The insulation looks great. I'm sure the extra effort will of glueing in all those foam strips will pay off.
Norm
Old 10-30-2009, 09:28 PM   #124
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbosa View Post
Steve, you are really doing an awesome job on that trailer. The insulation looks great. I'm sure the extra effort will of glueing in all those foam strips will pay off.
Norm
Thanks, Norm! It is so much more fun working on the trailer now that the ripping apart stage is over. You're almost there--big step getting the shell off.

cheers,
steve

Old 10-31-2009, 07:26 AM   #125
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Yup, I like watching you guys race each other!

Insulation looks fantastic Steve. Very nice work.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:06 AM   #126
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Yup, I like watching you guys race each other!

-Marcus
Alas, 'tis a race I cannot win. I may be slightly ahead, but Norm has. . . . .Ryan, and we know how fast he works!

steve

Old 10-31-2009, 08:21 AM   #127
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbearsailor View Post
Alas, 'tis a race I cannot win. I may be slightly ahead, but Norm has. . . . .Ryan, and we know how fast he works!

steve
No kidding. I'm not sure anyone can compete with Ryan. Whet he did was remarkable.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:52 AM   #128
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
No kidding. I'm not sure anyone can compete with Ryan. Whet he did was remarkable.
Ryan's a machine, but don't underestimate my ability to slow him down with incessant questions about how this or that works, why do/don't we do this or that etc. Plus, Steve has been chugging away at a pretty fine pace himself. His progress and kind comments on my blog have kept me motivated on my project. I'd be very happy to finish within a few months of you Steve.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:01 AM   #129
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbosa View Post
Plus, Steve has been chugging away at a pretty fine pace himself. His progress and kind comments on my blog have kept me motivated on my project. I'd be very happy to finish within a few months of you Steve.
The comments sure help me too. A little positive motivation is needed sometimes: there are always some of those days. It's all part of the journey, even though our wheels, unlike Marcus', aren't turning yet.

steve

Old 10-31-2009, 11:37 AM   #130
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
The comments sure help me too. A little positive motivation is needed sometimes: there are always some of those days. It's all part of the journey, even though our wheels, unlike Marcus', aren't turning yet.

steve
Heheh... I recall reading some of Jordan's comments, when he, Uwe, and Carlos were all working on theirs at the same time. He said that this place is as much a motivational boost as it is a place to gain information.

I'd add that it's also very much a source for Group Therapy!

And, my wheels may be turning, but I still have to do the front end of mine. I already know the extent of some of the floor damage up front, it will need the exact same treatment the rear half received. You guys will actually be done before I am.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:10 PM   #131
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Race? Heck, I might be competing for last place! I hope just to get a rolling shell by next Area 63 rally..... I got some friends that I'd like to come in my trailer.... (that's sometime in April I believe..)
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:51 PM   #132
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
Race? Heck, I might be competing for last place! I hope just to get a rolling shell by next Area 63 rally..... I got some friends that I'd like to come in my trailer.... (that's sometime in April I believe..)
Marc
That commute to work on it just makes it hard for you, Marc. How 'bout moving into the Argosy to be close to the Tradewind and then commuting to work?

steve

Old 10-31-2009, 03:06 PM   #133
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Oh, I'm SURE the family would love that.....
No, anything fun has to have some challenge too it, right? I am thinking about putting my boat somewhere else (which is next to my house) and seeing if the TW would squeeze in... might be tight.. but I'm going to try after I get my axle.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:19 PM   #134
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Wow, Steve. I just spent time going over your thread. Great stuff here! I don't usually get time to read every resto thread, so I take advantage when I do have time. I'm glad I stopped here today.

All of you doing your own restos, I'm slightly jealous. I know it's hard, hard work, but you know every tiny little dittering detail of what's going on in your trailers. Even though I get lots of info, it's not the same as being there when the work is done.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:29 PM   #135
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
Wow, Steve. I just spent time going over your thread. Great stuff here! I don't usually get time to read every resto thread, so I take advantage when I do have time. I'm glad I stopped here today.

All of you doing your own restos, I'm slightly jealous. I know it's hard, hard work, but you know every tiny little dittering detail of what's going on in your trailers. Even though I get lots of info, it's not the same as being there when the work is done.
Thanks, Dacia. I've been following you and Elvis as well. I'm just hoping that my frame will go another 50 years, but there's no doubt that your new one will. Really impressive work.

cheers,
steve

Old 11-04-2009, 03:35 PM   #136
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Provenance

I'm pretty sure my trailer lacks a truly great history like Scott's around the world trailer, but still, I've wondered what it did, how it got those huge piles of dirt in the bellypan, maybe just where it has been. There was some information with Island Girl when I got her: I knew the name of the original owner, an address or two, but not much more. I even found a copy of Wally's "Fifth Avenue on Wheels". Google told me the orginal owner was buried on Lopez Island, one island over from where I got her. So, I figured that was about the end of it.

In my internet searching, I did find one address of a person with the same last name on Lopez. I wrote that person a letter a few weeks ago, asking if there might be a connection to my trailer. Expected to hear nothing back. Today in the mail there was a typewritten reply to my letter. He was buried, but she is still alive and 92 years old. She wrote that she'd get some information on the trailer together and get back to me. How cool is that?

Insulation work continues. Tomorrow I'll get the front end cap area done and that'll put me at around three quarters of the first layer done. Second layer will wait until the wiring is done.

Can't wait to hear again from Island Girl's first owner.

cheers,
steve

Old 11-04-2009, 05:11 PM   #137
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
You found the rpevious owner!

Steve, just the fact that you have made a connection is awesome. Especially since she wrote you that she would get some info together. You probably made her day. I still talk occasionally with my TWs last owner, and the son of Elvis's primary owner and I email each other. It's a special thing to have that link, even if a fragile one.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:15 PM   #138
4 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
1962 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Webster Groves , Missouri
Quote:
Steve, just the fact that you have made a connection is awesome. Especially since she wrote you that she would get some info together. You probably made her day. I still talk occasionally with my TWs last owner, and the son of Elvis's primary owner and I email each other. It's a special thing to have that link, even if a fragile one.
Is it possible to share some of those communications?
Bob
Xbob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:17 PM   #139
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Quote:
It is really special, Dacia. I feel like I'm really just sharing this trailer with those that have already had her and with those that will have her after me. There's a sense that the work that I'm doing has already been done by someone else, at Jackson Center a long time ago.

That's silly though, I know. She is an it and is just a pile of aluminum, just like my boat is an it and is just a bunch of fiberglass that floats. Silly, but they are special and my trailer is a she just like my boat is a she.

Hope I get to meet the first owner. She's not that far and really just a ferry ride away.

cheers,
steve

Old 11-04-2009, 07:26 PM   #140
4 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
1962 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Webster Groves , Missouri
Quote:
It is really special, Dacia. I feel like I'm really just sharing this trailer with those that have already had her and with those that will have her after me. There's a sense that the work that I'm doing has already been done by someone else, at Jackson Center a long time ago.

That's silly though, I know. She is an it and is just a pile of aluminum, just like my boat is an it and is just a bunch of fiberglass that floats. Silly, but they are special and my trailer is a she just like my boat is a she.

Hope I get to meet the first owner. She's not that far and really just a ferry ride away.

cheers,
steve
Tow the trailer and parts to her and ask questions ... Old folks like to be acknowledged for their wisdom.
Bob
Xbob2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1957, 1957 caravanner