Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravanner > 1952-1960 Caravanner
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #501
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Steve

The location you have chosen to settle in for a while looks quite peaceful. I wish you all the best.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #502
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
What a great site Steve! You're going to love the area... I've done the Bike MS ride around the area... pretty... but you don't notice the hills until you're actually biking UP them!

Enjoy the sun today!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #503
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
HOUSE SPRINGS , MO
Hi Steve,

I've been thinking about you and your new adventure as we are slowly moving along doing the work on our trailer.

Do you have a few stories to tell yet about being host? I'm sure as the season gets busier, it will get more entertaining along with the new folks who come camping.

I hope you and Brissy have a summer full of new friends and each day brings healing.

Tina
Old 05-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #504
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh2bcarefree View Post
Hi Steve,

I've been thinking about you and your new adventure as we are slowly moving along doing the work on our trailer.

Do you have a few stories to tell yet about being host? I'm sure as the season gets busier, it will get more entertaining along with the new folks who come camping.

I hope you and Brissy have a summer full of new friends and each day brings healing.

Tina
Thanks, Tina!

Pretty quiet in our new home so far. Fairly busy on the weekends and hardly anything on the weekdays, but that's just fine. A few local restoration folks have found us, including a '56 Bubble that was used as a Civil Defense trailer, so I'll hopefully get to see some projects. Most of the SOB lookers notice all the windows and then can't believe she is 55 years old.

Pulling back to our old home next week to send Pam's cremains to the sea that she loved. Weather forecast looks good for what will probably be a bit of an emotional week.

And then I need to get back to polishing.

Cheers,
steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:31 AM   #505
Dreaming of Streaming

2004 22' International CCD
Davis/SF , California
Steve, I am thinking about you lots and sending you super good vibes. Drive safe.
Pink
Old 05-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #506
Dreaming of Streaming

2004 22' International CCD
Davis/SF , California
Oh Jesus Zena, I just read above... Will try and be serious and figure out some dates...
insert the cheesiest grin here!
Old 05-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #507
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
HOUSE SPRINGS , MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbearsailor View Post
Thanks, Tina!

Pretty quiet in our new home so far. Fairly busy on the weekends and hardly anything on the weekdays, but that's just fine. A few local restoration folks have found us, including a '56 Bubble that was used as a Civil Defense trailer, so I'll hopefully get to see some projects. Most of the SOB lookers notice all the windows and then can't believe she is 55 years old.

Pulling back to our old home next week to send Pam's cremains to the sea that she loved. Weather forecast looks good for what will probably be a bit of an emotional week.

And then I need to get back to polishing.

Cheers,
steve
Hi Steve,

The good thing is it's going to be something different every day at the campground! I hope you start a photo journal of all the interesting trailers (and people?) that you see.

Good luck this week, I am sure it will be emotional. I'll be sending prayers while I sew the new curtains for our trailer this week. I think Mike is going to do really well at putting off more polishing, no one likes it, but man does it look nice!

Tina
Old 05-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #508
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Bolinas , California
Hey Steve,
I've been avidly reading my way through your thread since I came around the corner at Oak Bay and saw Island Girl gleaming away last week. What an inspiration! What a treat it was to see such a beautifully restored trailer in person.I'm trying to figure out a good time that I can bring my wife Ida by to meet you and Island Girl. That would also give me the excuse to ask you a thousand questions and look at some of the work I missed last time. Sounds like you might be out of camp for a while and I wish you the best. Let me know when you are going to be around and we will come by for a visit. It's going to be a bit before we can roll the Overlander out there, but hopefully soonish.
Geoff
geoff evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #509
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff evans View Post
Hey Steve,
I've been avidly reading my way through your thread since I came around the corner at Oak Bay and saw Island Girl gleaming away last week. What an inspiration! What a treat it was to see such a beautifully restored trailer in person.I'm trying to figure out a good time that I can bring my wife Ida by to meet you and Island Girl. That would also give me the excuse to ask you a thousand questions and look at some of the work I missed last time. Sounds like you might be out of camp for a while and I wish you the best. Let me know when you are going to be around and we will come by for a visit. It's going to be a bit before we can roll the Overlander out there, but hopefully soonish.
Geoff
Thanks, Geoff! It was very good to talk to you here. Be gone most of next week, but then ought to be here most of the time. Bring Ida over anytime and no problem on a thousand questions.

cheers,
steve

Old 05-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #510
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
In PT May 14 to 17

Steve,

Donna and I (safari57), Roger and Bonnie Miller (King-O-D-Road) and Dave and Debbi Hagen (Klatawa) are camping at Fort Worden this week. We arrive the afternoon of Monday, the 14th, depart Thursday. We are in sites 39,40 and 41.
We are hoping we can get together with you while we are there.
My US Cel is 360-201-5790 which will be turned on as soon as we cross the border on Monday about 9 am and will be on the whole time we are in PT. If you want to meet us, just call, or show up, either works. And we will try to get past your CG.
To contact me directly as I'm not on Airforums much at present my email address is safariairstream@gmail.com
Take care, hope we get a chance to bump in to you there.
Barry
Old 05-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #511
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57 View Post
Steve,

Donna and I (safari57), Roger and Bonnie Miller (King-O-D-Road) and Dave and Debbi Hagen (Klatawa) are camping at Fort Worden this week. We arrive the afternoon of Monday, the 14th, depart Thursday. We are in sites 39,40 and 41.
We are hoping we can get together with you while we are there.
My US Cel is 360-201-5790 which will be turned on as soon as we cross the border on Monday about 9 am and will be on the whole time we are in PT. If you want to meet us, just call, or show up, either works. And we will try to get past your CG.
To contact me directly as I'm not on Airforums much at present my email address is safariairstream@gmail.com
Take care, hope we get a chance to bump in to you there.
Barry
Sounds good, Barry. I should be around all week and will stop by and see you guys. Swing by here too if you can. Only a couple campers here today, so it'll probably just be the cat and me next week.

-steve

Old 06-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #512
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
HOUSE SPRINGS , MO
Hi Steve,

We just were at a campground this past weekend and I was thinking of you and wondering how it's going up there and if you like being camp host. Hope you and Brissy are enjoying your new adventure!

Tina
Old 06-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #513
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Hi Tina,

Things are going well, thanks. It's a sleepy little campground, mostly empty through the week and busier on the weekends. Been good for me, the quiet is nice, and I've had time to work on the few little things remaining to finish on the trailer. Brissy the cat thinks this place really rocks. It has been a great big new world for her off the sailboat after nine years. Word is that the new owner of the boat keeps finding cat hair in unexpected places. Bris does a daily tour of the campground on her leash. She's a pretty cool person.

So happy with the trailer. Everything has worked just the way I wanted it to and I have all the room I need. If we can just get the weather to cooperate just a little, I'll get back to polishing as I only got the first pass done with F7 last year.

Pam would have loved it here too. There's a void in me that won't ever get filled, but things are better and will continue to get better. This life thing makes for an interesting journey.

-steve

Old 06-23-2012, 07:24 AM   #514
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
HOUSE SPRINGS , MO
Hi Steve,

Oh the blessings of a sleepy campground. Our last outing was at a campground wasn't sleepy. It seems as if most "campers" are just relocating their party from the back yard. Lots of noise, electronics and lights. Plus, it seems to be an attraction for motorcycles just passing through and revving up to show off how loud they are... If we weren't half a continent away, we'd be there in a flash to experience it. We like to camp to get away and enjoy nature and I don't think that's the feel of the majority in campgrounds. I mean the state of Missouri is now offering WIFI in all their campgrounds. That's not getting away in my book.

I didn't know you sold your boat. Yes, the pet hair whether kitty or doggie, will forever turn up in unexpected places. It happens when you sell a car too!

We're off today to do a recon of some places in the southeast of Missouri for potential boondock camping this fall. It's terribly hot here right now and not a lot of fun to be out. Today 90 and tomorrow 100. Yikes.

I'm glad you are still taking each day as it comes and not letting life go. You and Brissy are good for each other and I am sure not even knowing Pam, she is watching on with approval. You are amazing!

Tina
Old 06-24-2012, 08:37 AM   #515
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh2bcarefree View Post
Hi Steve,

Oh the blessings of a sleepy campground. Our last outing was at a campground wasn't sleepy. It seems as if most "campers" are just relocating their party from the back yard. Lots of noise, electronics and lights. Plus, it seems to be an attraction for motorcycles just passing through and revving up to show off how loud they are... If we weren't half a continent away, we'd be there in a flash to experience it. We like to camp to get away and enjoy nature and I don't think that's the feel of the majority in campgrounds. I mean the state of Missouri is now offering WIFI in all their campgrounds. That's not getting away in my book.

I didn't know you sold your boat. Yes, the pet hair whether kitty or doggie, will forever turn up in unexpected places. It happens when you sell a car too!

We're off today to do a recon of some places in the southeast of Missouri for potential boondock camping this fall. It's terribly hot here right now and not a lot of fun to be out. Today 90 and tomorrow 100. Yikes.

I'm glad you are still taking each day as it comes and not letting life go. You and Brissy are good for each other and I am sure not even knowing Pam, she is watching on with approval. You are amazing!

Tina
Hi Tina
Was this a private or public campground? In either case it is a good idea to lodge a complaint about the excessive noise. there is a certain mindset with some people that louder is better and of course shows that they are having more fun than you are.

But is does get back to what the whole idea of camping is about. This gets forgotten when people think the music should be louder, the Harley isn't a Harley unless the muffler is removed, and that generator runs onto power the big screen TV.

Back to the motorcycle noise. Showing how loud they are is exactly what they are all about. Just poor manners that happens to be the latest fad among guys that are old enough and should know better. But until we complain more about it this will just get worse...if that is possible.

(sorry Steve) I had to vent, and not the kind that comes out of the roof of an Airstream!

BUT...I do have some news that ties in with this thread and tina's location...we just brought home a 1957 Custom. Very similar to your Caravanner. It was brought form Paris, Missouri and is now in Maine. This means I will have to reread your entire thread on Island Girl...which was very enjoyable the first time around, but now I am looking at it in a different way.

I am holding Steve responsible for part of this 13 panel conversion!

Gary
wbcci #3363
VAC - Region 1 vintage Club rep
New England unit
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #516
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Congrats on the Custom, Gary! '57 was a very good year. Thirteen panels rule.

Mostly have a good crowd in here. We're pretty primitive camping, not even a pumpout, so that keeps a lot of the noisy bunch away but we've had a few. Maybe not as loud as the motorcycles, but the top of my list, are those little electric jeeps with the plastic wheels driven by mad five year olds.

I think the ones with all the toys would really be happier in a WalMart parking lot with its McDonald's just a few steps away. They don't see the birds or the trees or the water anyway.

That'll be the end of my little rant, too.

cheers,
steve

Old 06-25-2012, 06:53 AM   #517
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Hitting the road

Hi Gary (safari62),
Did I see you heading out with your rig from Kittery last week? I keep meaning to have you all over to check out Sylvia. Maybe this next week sometime. We pull out Sat.
hollyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:55 AM   #518
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyhunter View Post
Hi Gary (safari62),
Did I see you heading out with your rig from Kittery last week? I keep meaning to have you all over to check out Sylvia. Maybe this next week sometime. We pull out Sat.
Hi Holly
I am heading down to CT on Thursday with Safari so let me know if there is time before that. I would like to see Sylvia as I am paying much more attention to this era of trailer now!

The 57' Custom will be a total restoration time permitting. I have little of Steve's mechanical skills, knowledge or work ethic. So it may take longer. Then it will be for sale.

I will pm and email.
Gary
wbcci #3363
VAC - Region 1 vintage Club rep
New England unit
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:06 PM   #519
3 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
Danville , California
Hi Steve,

Can you tell me if your spare fits within your frame? I am wanting to put mine under the floor, but it won't fit, I must have a huge tire.

I just saw your tire! I wish I had done some additional planning and welding! Darn!

Thanks!
Carolyn
1955 Kenskill Rebuild link
Chlyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #520
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlyman View Post
Hi Steve,

Can you tell me if your spare fits within your frame? I am wanting to put mine under the floor, but it won't fit, I must have a huge tire.

I just saw your tire! I wish I had done some additional planning and welding! Darn!

Thanks!
Carolyn
Hi Carolyn,

Wow, my old thread has gotten dusty and full of spider webs.

I really had an advantage since I had no time pressure for getting done. Probably spent twice as much time planning as actually working.

We moved and added cross members to make space for the tanks and spare tire. Biggest issue is that the plywood no longer has its seams on the cross members, so I used plywood doublers at the joints.

Cheers,
steve

Tags
1957, 1957 caravanner